Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Virago stored 30+ years oily air filter

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Virago stored 30+ years oily air filter

PostAuthor: pastot » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Recently acquired a new 85 Virago 700. It was prepped and stored over 30 years ago and I discovered the air filter is treated with an oil. The oil has migrated to the bottom side of the air filter. It's not a K&N filter, this bike is brand new and stock. Did the Virago 700 use an oil treated air filter? I'm wondering if it was sprayed to prevent humidity from getting into the engine during storage. Engine oil and gas was drained when it was prepped in 1988. Should I get a new filter or is it supposed to be oiled?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pastot
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 xv700
Sex: Male

Re: Virago stored 30+ years oily air filter

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Get a new one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 am

crankcase vents into the air-filter box/frame, it could be condensed oil from that.

:yup:
K&N is an good product, but requires regular maintenance.
a 30 yo one would be questionable IMO d/t foam material deterioration and could potentially cause more problems than it solves.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:22 am

pastot wrote:Did the Virago 700 use an oil treated air filter? I'm wondering if it was sprayed to prevent humidity from getting into the engine during storage.

No..OEM were paper elements. And..very possible original owner did oil it. Surely it's ruined. As hellgate said..would just buy new one. Or as Mark mention..K & N are good, but pricey. If ya still wanna go 'oil' type... UNI is very good and cheaper (foam vs cloth element). $20 (UNI) vs $70 (K&N) vs $12-15 (OEM paper). Nice thing bout UNI..you can replace just the foam, if ever needed.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:17 am

Did I understand correctly, that the bike was put away brand new?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm

@faffi - nice 'catch'. that totally went-over-my-head that he's saying it was mothballed for long-term storage in the 80's.

the air filter may have been "treated", but would probly been best if left 'dry' - might also have held moisture in.

[don't over look final drive] --- that presents some different issues - potential rust inside the cases, deteriorated rubber/plastic seals & connections [&paper]

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/l/yam ... 700l-parts

'82 - XV750

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: pastot » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Pretty amazing that after bore scoping everything I could this machine is like show room ready less the new tires that just arrived today. Pretty sure I can ship tie change them has they're bias ply stock size. Will find out tonight and tomorrow. I can't do it with the radials on my Goldwing, but they're also run flat and hard as heck. My Virago runs really nice so far, can't wait to have new tires on her. I expected the fork seals to be an issue but I can't get them to leak anything yet. I can only ride up and down the driveway but brake checks collapse the forks nicely to test. So far so good. Rubber was flexible and didn't crack when worked around. Still stunned, insurance doesn't know what to do for me... hahaha!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pastot
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 xv700

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 pm

bon chance!

'82 - XV750

mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration