Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Replacement Brain??

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Replacement Brain??

PostAuthor: Hobbit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Hiya all,
Back again, why is it I seem to always come here with my problems? Maybe because there are good answers here! :hail:
OK, this time it's not really my problem, only by association.
I have a friend who has decided to join me in the world of Virago trikes and bought what appears to be an '84 750. Appears to be because the only info I can find is an old post on here called "Rare 750" that I can't find again (typical) saying about an Aussie bloke with similar numbers on the frame - 55R. The motor is of no help as there is no number just 5E5 and where the figures should be is blank - not ground off, just not stamped!
Anyway finding out exactly what it is, well, that's only part of the problem - it came without a Brain. It's Igniter had gone. the CDI was AWOL. (I think I may have found why the seller said there was no sparks! :face: ).
OK, I thought, I have a size and year, lets head to Yamaha's parts lists and see what I'm looking for (been through the fun of replacing a brain before so know it has to be the correct one) but the parts lists only came up with a '97 model. Damn.
And now I need help to find out what it should be so I can source a replacement. I have a spare igniter from the last CDI fiasco that was supposed to fit "XV750 VIRAGO 750 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990" but it didn't work last time, and well, it didn't work this time either. Now either I've bought a duffun or it's the wrong unit, but no use either way and I have no way of telling.
And it leaves me trying to find what part number it should be with no help from Yamaha.

So, any of you nice knowledgeable people out there able to help me get my mate on the road? If you happen to have the right part sat on a shelf getting dusty that could be even better, but I suspect these things are held onto very carefully - "just in case..."

If there's more info required or anything like that I'll do what I can - it's visiting my garage/workshop at the moment so I can get to it easily for a short while at least!

Cheers Hobbit. :thanks:
Hobbit
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 xv 1100 trike
Sex: Male

Re: Replacement Brain??

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:21 pm

this the post? ---> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8028

oh fwiw - XV has a TCI not a CDI, minor, but noteworthy difference.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Hobbit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Hiya,
Yep, that's the one! I'd seen and read it and looked at other posts then couldn't find my way back. Thanks for finding it.
Hobbit.
Hobbit
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hobbit » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Hiya,
Update time!
Bike is actually a no-brainer!
Well, OK, it's had a brain transplant and upgrade, it has what appears to be a C5 Ignitions assembly on it. Sort of explains why trying brains did nothing :ops:

Still don't spark though. Next few days I'll probably fiddle more with the wires and see if there's a fault elsewhere, and from what I've seen so far there are probably going to be a few, especially as I've spotted speaker wire connecting stuff together and mysterious wires emerging from looms, changing colour many times before heading into another loom - I think the horn works from the starter button so who knows what else has gone on!

Hobbit
Hobbit
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration