Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Vapor or Soda blasting complete engine?

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Vapor or Soda blasting complete engine?

PostAuthor: briandk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 am

I need old paint cleaned off my engine and have the option to have it vapor or soda blasted.
I'd prefer vapor blasting as it seems to generate a much nicer end result, but also involves glass media.

Does anyone have experience blasting an engine without taking it apart? Soda blasting seems to be rather harmless, so it shouldn't be a problem with that and the local vapor blasting company says they can do a whole engine (and have done so before), but prefer it in parts to guarantee the result and avoid any blasting media inside the engine, I have to plug intake/exhaust etc. myself though and they take no responsibility if media gets in.

I'd really rather avoid taking the engine apart, so would like to know if anyone else has tried it.

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 83 TR1
Sex: Male

Re: Vapor or Soda blasting complete engine?

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 am

I have used soda blasting on small parts; doing an entire engine in one piece is pretty bold, but since soda is water soluble, maybe it's better suited for that project.

not sure what "vapor blasting" is, but sounds like abrasive blasting - which should be approached with caution in delicate / machined areas.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: briandk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm

mark75 wrote:I have used soda blasting on small parts; doing an entire engine in one piece is pretty bold, but since soda is water soluble, maybe it's better suited for that project.

not sure what "vapor blasting" is, but sounds like abrasive blasting - which should be approached with caution in delicate / machined areas.

Thanks for the input. Vapor blasting ( at least what I have available here ) is glass media mixed with water. The end result is really stunning, but I'm just wondering if you can really seal the engine up enough for glass media not to enter it.

briandk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 83 TR1

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:10 pm

a nearly total seal could 'theoretically' be done, but the tech would have to be very careful and meticulous - both with the sealing and the spraying & clean-up.

yeah OK, that's called "bead blasting" where I am - leaves a very nice finish, but it is abrasive.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Hobbit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:02 am

Hiya,
Having looked into the various cleaning methods for the very same reasons, it is all about the seal. Blanking plates for the ports (silicon'ed if it makes you feel better) and a set of duff plugs. Oh and rubber bungs for the vents.

BTW, on this side of the pond Bead Blasting is air propelled lead (or soft) shot and therefore dry and is actually more of a final polishing technique, although it can be used for cleaning it's not the best, vapour blasting uses assorted media types and water not air as the carrier which greatly reduces the dust and keeps the work-piece cooler.
Soda blasting is a much gentler process and may not get things quite as clean as you'd like or will get from a harder abrasive. Walnut shell is another soft, polishing media as an alternative to soda.

Hope this has helped, and let us know how it goes.
Hobbit
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 xv 1100 trike

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration