Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Gold trim Edition

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Gold trim Edition

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:50 am

Absolutely no gold parts are available new...they are all obsolete.... Partzilla Virago parts are original parts that are still being made in Japan. And my bike has a gold headlight rim. ...there is actually a New Old Stock one on eBay but he wants $150 for it and I refuse to pay it I offered him 80 and he turned it down. I have pretty much replaced all the gold parts with the best ones I can possibly find I paid $110 just the other day for a brand new engine cover ring on the stator side and it was absolutely perfect gorgeous I'm so happy I got it..... the trim rings in gold for the signal lights are still available through partsNmore in Canada they are all plastic but they look great new on the bike.... I do believe our signal lights were originally metal but those New Old Stock are crazy expensive. I would love to find a plater that would redo the gold parts but I'm getting a little tired of sinking more money into the bike I've got it looking pretty much showroom so I'm happy right now. I think I would only replate the gold parts if I was actually going to show the bike

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 am

I just bought a new tank because the liner in mine was deteriorating and somebody had JB welded the fuel sensor into the bottom and it had a dent so I found a much better tank on eBay and my painter duplicated the original black and gold airbrush ...hand painted the gold pinstriping and it is absolutely gorgeous.... I'll post pictures when I get the bike back

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:43 am

Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:50 am

Jake wrote:
Flyingdog wrote:
Jake wrote:They were first used on an 1100 in 1999, in the US,

I wasn't aware US Viragos came with factory 4 piston brakes. Thought they were just an overseas thing. Guess one of those things ya never pay any attention to. Did have a buddy in New Mexico, who transplanted a set from an FZ, but he had to CNC a bracket to mount them. Mainly cuz he thought they were purdy.

I'm afraid I have to correct this, I was mistaken. The dual pistons were never used in the US according to the parts fiche I have. I mistakenly pulled up the 1999 XVS1100.

I have made the correction in my previous post.

Jake wrote:
They were first used on an 1100 in 1999, in the US, but I doubt you ever believe what I say.

The 4PP Japanese home market model I have (grey import to the UK) had the US style calipers, which I replaced with the dual piston type, see pics below.

The dual piston type fit the forks, no problem, but they do need a larger diameter disc, from memory 280mm rather than 265mm. I had to get wavy ones from China as I couldn't afford to lose one of my limbs to Yamaha.

I double checked my parts fiche on my PC as well as an online fiche. I was mistaken the US models for the 1100 Virago never used the dual piston calipers. I pulled up the XVS1100 fiche by mistake. However some of the XV535s did.

I apologize for my error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tough on chrome, tough on the causes of chrome :;:
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 am

Totally messed that up, sorry.

The picture descriptions are reversed. The US (and early UK) caliper has the shiny disc on each caliper.
Tough on chrome, tough on the causes of chrome :;:
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration