Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Gold trim Edition

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Gold trim Edition

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:50 am

Absolutely no gold parts are available new...they are all obsolete.... Partzilla Virago parts are original parts that are still being made in Japan. And my bike has a gold headlight rim. ...there is actually a New Old Stock one on eBay but he wants $150 for it and I refuse to pay it I offered him 80 and he turned it down. I have pretty much replaced all the gold parts with the best ones I can possibly find I paid $110 just the other day for a brand new engine cover ring on the stator side and it was absolutely perfect gorgeous I'm so happy I got it..... the trim rings in gold for the signal lights are still available through partsNmore in Canada they are all plastic but they look great new on the bike.... I do believe our signal lights were originally metal but those New Old Stock are crazy expensive. I would love to find a plater that would redo the gold parts but I'm getting a little tired of sinking more money into the bike I've got it looking pretty much showroom so I'm happy right now. I think I would only replate the gold parts if I was actually going to show the bike

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 am

I just bought a new tank because the liner in mine was deteriorating and somebody had JB welded the fuel sensor into the bottom and it had a dent so I found a much better tank on eBay and my painter duplicated the original black and gold airbrush ...hand painted the gold pinstriping and it is absolutely gorgeous.... I'll post pictures when I get the bike back

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:43 am

Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:50 am

Jake wrote:
Flyingdog wrote:
Jake wrote:They were first used on an 1100 in 1999, in the US,

I wasn't aware US Viragos came with factory 4 piston brakes. Thought they were just an overseas thing. Guess one of those things ya never pay any attention to. Did have a buddy in New Mexico, who transplanted a set from an FZ, but he had to CNC a bracket to mount them. Mainly cuz he thought they were purdy.

I'm afraid I have to correct this, I was mistaken. The dual pistons were never used in the US according to the parts fiche I have. I mistakenly pulled up the 1999 XVS1100.

I have made the correction in my previous post.

Jake wrote:
They were first used on an 1100 in 1999, in the US, but I doubt you ever believe what I say.

The 4PP Japanese home market model I have (grey import to the UK) had the US style calipers, which I replaced with the dual piston type, see pics below.

The dual piston type fit the forks, no problem, but they do need a larger diameter disc, from memory 280mm rather than 265mm. I had to get wavy ones from China as I couldn't afford to lose one of my limbs to Yamaha.

I double checked my parts fiche on my PC as well as an online fiche. I was mistaken the US models for the 1100 Virago never used the dual piston calipers. I pulled up the XVS1100 fiche by mistake. However some of the XV535s did.

I apologize for my error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Damned if I do, bored if I don't - 95 XV1100
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 am

Totally messed that up, sorry.

The picture descriptions are reversed. The US (and early UK) caliper has the shiny disc on each caliper.
Damned if I do, bored if I don't - 95 XV1100
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration