Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Exhaust Finishes

Share tips and tricks on how to make your bike shine!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Exhaust Finishes

PostAuthor: Artie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Howdy all, I've got several builds on the go, one of them will look best with a black exhaust header pipes (I think), so can I ask what have others used in past? What paint/finish and what, if any, special prep you've used? How's it holding up after use?

A couple of the Hi Temp exhaust paints I've seen, seem to chip easily, requiring touch ups, hoping to avoid this....

Thoughts from the collective are appreciated....... :ghug:
Artie
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: East Coast of Australia - Bateman's Bay New South Wales Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago x 4 (too many??)
1983 Ducati Pantah
1954 Triumph Speed Twin (sold)
Sex: Male

Re: Exhaust Finishes

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:09 am

I re-finished a set of pipes and mufflers on an '85 1000 that were in rough shape to start with. Smoothed them off to get rid of most of the rough areas; that left some chrome, some bare metal, etc. I sprayed them with a product called "VHT" header paint (flame-proof, very high temperature so it says on the can). It called for three stages of heat treatment, so I built an "oven" out of an old filing cabinet I found at the local landfill to fit on our propane-fired barbecue and big enough for me to suspend the pipes and mufflers in. Put in a cheap oven thermometer (that now lives in my tool box for future use) and fired up the bbq. Did the three various heat/cool cycles as stated on the can. Results in my opinion were quite excellent, and I've had no rusting or burn off since doing the job some 5 years ago now.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Re: Exhaust Finishes

PostAuthor: Artie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks Cust, thats pretty much where I'm at.

I really don't like the wrapped finish at all, so figured this is my best option. I have an exhaust builder up north a bit who has offered to build the pipe in Stainless and polish it which Ill do for the next build (which will be based on sparkle).
Artie
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: East Coast of Australia - Bateman's Bay New South Wales Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago x 4 (too many??)
1983 Ducati Pantah
1954 Triumph Speed Twin (sold)
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle - Appearance and Detailing