Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Removing the gold

Share tips and tricks on how to make your bike shine!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Removing the gold

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm

I have an 86 1100. The pieces of gold chrome does anyone know if that's gold plating or a gold overlay on top chrome? What's the best way to remove it?

Quarinteen
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago XV1100
Sex: Male

Re: Removing the gold

PostAuthor: Eaglearm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:35 am

Hi Quarinteen, the "GOLD" you are talking about is most probably not real Gold. Generally its an electrolysis effect.

That is, its a combination of metals, zinc magnesium nickel etc. that are introduced into a bath of solution with an electronic charge passing through it, that attracts the said GOLD onto the final product.
If it is deteriorating/flaking off, probably an acid bath, or rechrome them in, the before mentioned bath of acids, via electrolysis. IMHO.

Depending on the depth/thickness of the attached gold finish you might try to SAND it off with maybe 1600 grit wet & dry paper. ( but thats a lot of physical work & time consuming. Plus it doesnt guarantee you wont scratch the other chrome work in the area. )

You could try a dremel grinder with a small disc attached. or a handheld hobbyist drill again with a small grinding disc. However your hand steadiness is critical for the final result.
I suppose it also depends on the actual design of the gold inlay. Words, Eagles, birds so on have depressions that will cause grief.
You'll need steady hand to try that method.

I suppose there's no easy answer on this one Quarinteen.

Hope Ive given you something worthwhile to think about bro. Cheers.

Eaglearm.
What would you like here? Something smart or funny? How about a BIO of me.
I wanted to be a graphic artist and after 3 yrs training the lecturers told me to try singing. :thanks:
Eaglearm
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2007 XV 250 Virago.
1300 V Star 2007

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:56 pm

:yup: and chrome is a booger to sand or sand-blast

my :2cents: ---
the "best" way would probly be to have the parts re-plated - which would start with an "un-plating" of the surface layers of chrome and nickel - that can get expensive unless you can work a deal with the plating guy and/or do the prep [de-plate] work yourself. lots of that sort of thing on youtube.
done right it's pretty specialized ...

next best is paint or powder coat ...
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Which gold pieces are you asking about ?

The gold fades substantially on these bikes, it does not hold up well to UV, unlike chrome.

If they are faded to the point they have lost their luster, they can be painted. Things like headlight rim and turn signal rings can be replaced by chrome parts much cheaper than replating the gold and guaranteed to hold up better in the Nevada sun.

The trim on the clutch cover and stator, I would try a chemical stripper, failing that, paint or carbon fiber vinyl like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/7D-Premium-Sup ... Gw&vxp=mtr

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I just talked myself into ordering the black carbon fiber vinyl for my clutch cover and stator cover. You can see why in this thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33462

I bought a 1ft x 5ft piece for $6.98 with free shipping.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 pm

I don't think the vinyl wrap is going to take the Heat I have a gold trim ring for the stator cover that's in very nice condition if you want to replace it but if you want to get rid of the gold you might try MEK.... but be careful using it it's nasty stuff

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle - Appearance and Detailing