Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Engine polish

Share tips and tricks on how to make your bike shine!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Engine polish

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:56 am

Hey guys. Quick question I want to polish the aluminum engine to a chrome finish. I am using a dremel and mother polish and I am going through to many buff pads and sand disks it's unreal. Does anyone have any tips?

Been at this for hours and only have 1 fin complete. I really need some help here. Thanks guys.

Quarinteen
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago XV1100
Sex: Male

Re: Engine polish

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am

Use a buffing wheel on a bench grinder and proper buffing compounds.

https://www.pjtool.com/metal-buffing-po ... irections/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:04 am

:yup:

Quarinteen wrote:chrome finish. I am going through to many buff pads and sand disks

That's pretty normal, considering the size of a dremel. You'll never get a "chrome" finish. That's cuz it's cast aluminum and the best would be a nice brushed aluminum effect. And even at that, it will not last. It's too soft and porous...and...for a reason.....heat transference. The only real way to get this stuff shiny is with a 2" die grinder, correct grit sandpaper & polishing cloth/buffing cloth (with the right polish), as Hellgate mentioned. But, this is almost impossible because the the size of the fin area. 2" pad didn't fit well between the fins. Bottom line: Motorcycle engine polishing = boocoo time & never get to a "chrome finish". Probly why most engines are blacked out w/shiny fin edges. Check out an engine detailer's pricing..that'll tell ya how much of a job it is.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 pm

1st thing is to make sure the engine hasn't been clear coated by a PO - carefully apply airplane paint remover [such as] ---> http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/aircr ... nt-remover

then get a uniform matte surface with 600 wet-or-dry sandpaper or something like ---> https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 695&rt=rud

then use a good polish like ---> http://www.gordsaluminumpolish.com/
I've seen this stuff put an amazing shine on aluminum stuff you would have never expected polish-up. Follow the label directions.

Bonne chance, and post some pics.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Quarinteen » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm

I knew it was time consuming before I started. I'm currently using 600 grit dremel pads to stip the first layer and get the pits out. Yes I am aware that Yamaha did make some bikes with pits on purpose to prevent over heating.

Now I am using the sanding pads to get it ready my next step is using a soft wire attachment and going over it to even the surface and get the lines our.

Then I am hitting it with rough buff pads with mothers chrome polish then the final step I am hitting it wit soft buff pads and a thinner polish

I am using the thinner polish wi the the final step because of the black residue left by the mothers.

My question is does anyone have an easier way.

Also I'll send some pics this method I get it real close to a mirror finish. It looks great just time consuming as stated

Flyingdog wrote::yup:

Quarinteen wrote:chrome finish. I am going through to many buff pads and sand disks

That's pretty normal, considering the size of a dremel. You'll never get a "chrome" finish. That's cuz it's cast aluminum and the best would be a nice brushed aluminum effect. And even at that, it will not last. It's too soft and porous...and...for a reason.....heat transference. The only real way to get this stuff shiny is with a 2" die grinder, correct grit sandpaper & polishing cloth/buffing cloth (with the right polish), as Hellgate mentioned. But, this is almost impossible because the the size of the fin area. 2" pad didn't fit well between the fins. Bottom line: Motorcycle engine polishing = boocoo time & never get to a "chrome finish". Probly why most engines are blacked out w/shiny fin edges. Check out an engine detailer's pricing..that'll tell ya how much of a job it is.

Quarinteen
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago XV1100

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Pits to prevent over heating??? Given the thermal properties of a pit, vs fins or a radiator I find that a bit hard to believe. But it does make for good bar room talk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 pm

If you are going to take the engine a part, with the jugs off you can go for the powered route. This thread here has "wetblasting" done. looks like it might be a good base to start from then polish from there.

https://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
build thread -> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58187&sid=e4ab82933609aa211c1efb06cf000508

2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle - Appearance and Detailing