Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Cleaning inside of the frame / backbone

Share tips and tricks on how to make your bike shine!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Cleaning inside of the frame / backbone

PostAuthor: bucket220 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:05 pm

I've tried using the google and the search, and most of what I can come up with has to do with refinishing the frame (good info, just not there yet).

I'm almost done with the mechanical stuff and going to get my 82 750 running (well, going to turn her over anyway). Problem is, to the best of my knowledge, she's been sitting in a barn with the carbs and air filter and side cover off for the better part of a decade. The side cover was off and there was dirt caked in all the screw holes. Easy enough to clean.

However, INSIDE of the backbone, there are a bunch of mud dauber nests (for those of you who may not know, they are a family of wasp that build their nest). I've broken most of it out, but there is still dirt stuck to inside of the frame.

Anyone have a good idea how to clean this out? And then maybe prevent stuff from getting in the carbs? I have a power washer, was thinking about that with some sort of soap, maybe normal car wash soap? Then, once its dry, spraying some WD40 in the frame to "catch" any loose particles that may be trying to make their way into my freshly cleaned and rebuilt carbs.

What about cutting some lawnmower air filter foam and putting it inside of the elbows from the frame to the carb intake? Would that restrict airflow too much?
Currently own an 82 XV750J, or a pile of parts that is supposed to be one anyway.

bucket220
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: '82 xv750
Sex: Male

Re: Cleaning inside of the frame / backbone

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:22 am

as I recall the Gen-I frame/air-box has a drain-plug/bolt, I would just flush it out well with the power washer - that should turn the mud-dauber nests into brown water, then flush with hose until clear.
crank-case vents into it so no need to follow-up with inside 'oil treatment' to prevent rust.

keep your carbs wrapped in a plastic bag etc. to protect from the water, if you have them back on already.

other than their choice of real estate, I like mud daubers, they feed spiders to their young.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bucket220 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Awesome, thanks Mark.

The air box is still in a cardboard box, so I'll probably put the washer/hose in the carb intakes and a shop vac in the hole where the airbox goes. I wasn't sure as far as finish inside/rusting with the oil or WD40. I suppose at a minimum it wouldn't necessarily hurt anything.

I've been saying this for about 3 months now, but hopefully this weekend I'll get it turned over and at least mostly running so I can see what needs to be done from here.
Currently own an 82 XV750J, or a pile of parts that is supposed to be one anyway.

bucket220
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: '82 xv750

PostAuthor: uncleromo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:23 pm

I have a similar problem with an ’82 920. Frame is titled so I sticking with it, but it sat in a wrecking yard in Arizona for years with all of the holes open. I going to try to clean it out with a high pressure washer using soap and then just water (carwash), dry with the exhaust from a shop vac and the seal, I hope with Internal Frame Coating Item # 15275Z from www.eastwood.com/Online-Store/Shop. I would avoid putting anything that would restrict airflow in the ports.
UR

XV 981J
uncleromo
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920J

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:33 pm

once she's up and running - if you are using the stock air configuration - you will have air flow + c.case venting through the frame as it runs [hence the oil 'fog' inside the frame]

so [being a tightwad and a tad lazy] I would just blow/dry it out with compressed air. JMO
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle - Appearance and Detailing