Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Ignition Tip Plug caps

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Ignition Tip Plug caps

PostAuthor: Billll » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:40 am

The resistor plug caps from Yamaha are $49/ea. Ridiculous! OEM replacements are $34/ea. Slightly less Ridiculous! NGK P/n XD05F is a drop-in replacement purchased through Amazon if I'm remembering right, and only runs $6-$7/ea. The top angle is 120 instead of 135 deg but this makes no difference. Having a 5K resistor instead of an infinite ohm unit makes a difference.
Last edited by Jake on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Motorcycle Parts Finds

Billll
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 87 xv535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Ignition Tip Plug caps

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:03 am

Billll wrote: Having a 5K resistor instead of an infinite ohm unit makes a difference.

Only if you use "non" resistor plugs. But unless you can find some NOS caps..bout all that's available anymore..resistor caps "and" non-rebuildable, in the NGK family.
Unless someone radically changed the electronics on a Virago.. wouldn't make a diff anyhow. There's "NO" electronics for RF (EMI) to screw with (AKA: radio, fuel injector computer etc etc etc), and the TCIs are solid state and pretty much RF resistant. So..would not make a bit of difference what combo to use..even using non resistor cap & plugs would work just fine. Never heard of 135° elbows. NGK "is" Yamaha's oem plug caps and FAIK they only come in straight, 90°, 102°, 120°. Taylor's only place I know of that carries larger elbows. There probly is..somewhere. Think, MSD 'use' to carry them. Far as those high prices...Yamaha is proud of their wires :;:...been known forever, that's whatcha paying for. Pretty much why you don't let a Yamaha shop mess around with yer plug wires/coils/caps etc etc etc. :bg: Caps are really not much diff like when Mazda will charge 100 times more for that OEM Ford part ya can buy at Napa or Rock Auto. Wanna see some wild prices..check out what Aprilia, BMW or Ducati does. And that's not even getting into harley..heh (can we say: Ultra? That's what I call ridiculous..damn near totally electronic/computer/sensors of some sort: controlled).
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Billll wrote:The resistor plug caps from Yamaha are $49/ea. Ridiculous! OEM replacements are $34/ea. Slightly less Ridiculous! NGK P/n XD05F is a drop-in replacement purchased through Amazon if I'm remembering right, and only runs $6-$7/ea. The top angle is 120 instead of 135 deg but this makes no difference. Having a 5K resistor instead of an infinite ohm unit makes a difference.

yep. Price is outrageous, specially considering you can change cables to solid-core auto ones, and get nice soft, water-resistant 'rubber' caps (0-ohms +/-) [in your favorite color]

caps >>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55385

cables >>> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7049
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Parts Finds