VTF Google Search
 Click Here

5 inches can be big

Tools & Equipment
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

5 inches can be big

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:55 pm

Bought an old, but barely used, Wilton vise with 5 in. jaws and 8 in. span. These cost list USD 1490 today in USA, and about 50 % more here. I paid the eqv. of USD 270. Pretty stoked with that. Should last my lifetime and probably even that of my grandchildren as well. Downside? The thing weighs a friggin' 96 lbs according to the spec sheet. Yes, it is heavy.

faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Re: 5 inches can be big

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Nice score. I've always been amazed how much a "real" good vise costs. JPW, Eastwood, Wilton, Yost... etc etc etc. I've even seen some pricey Irwins.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:11 pm

I was shocked myself! I've used a 4in vise for 30 years that cost 25 bucks then and 50 USD today, and it has taken a lot of abuse. The two things I didn't like was it's lack of precision and, more importantly, it's lack of clamping force. The latter got worse as the years went on, so I handed it to my son who had no vise at all - a mediocre vise is still better than no vise.

A local shop as a 240 lb 8in wide Winton vise that cost the eqv. of USD 5000 :help: The ad translates into "If you buy this for your private garage, we want a picture". Pressure tested to 65,000 PSI. I think the one I got will serve me more than well enough :bg:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:13 pm

bench vise is like buying an anvil - look around for a good vintage one, and expect to pay a good price because a good one can be passed on [still fully functional] to your heirs for generations.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: nanno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 am

Old stuff like that is beautiful. And just figure how much more metal they poured into a casting back then. A modern vise would hardly be half the weight and as any engineer will admit: in machining, mass is your friend.

Cheers,
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Tools & Equipment