Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Renaissa

Yamaha sport bike with basically a dual carb 250 Virago engine.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Renaissa

PostAuthor: xkisax » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi guys.
First of all I'm sorry for my bad English. But I have some information about this bike that can help someone and maybe someone can help me with my project. So I wanna post here some stuff time by time.
Well then, SRV have similar to xv250 engine and you may know that it have two carbs instead of one, slightly different shape of heads, more sporty camshafts.
Here is another one difference.
4DN is for SRV's conrods, 2UJ - XV's.

There is no bushings for this engine in Yamaha catalogue so I had bought XV's rods only because of them.
I'd pressed the bushing out of xv's rod and here the label on it.
ZOB - it's a Chinese bushing manufacturer, but I can't find something similar in their catalogue too.
SRV's bushing has no marks at all.
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: '97 srv 250 renaissa
'13 LML Star 200
Sex: Male

Re: Renaissa

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Your English is fine!

Interesting information. Apparently, the stock XV conrods are not considered solid enough for the high rpms the SRV are likely to pull for longer periods.

BTW, are you restoring/repairing your SRV? You have the model without rev counter and a bit more classic look compared to the original SRV, I presume?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: xkisax » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

faffi wrote:Apparently, the stock XV conrods are not considered solid enough for the high rpms the SRV are likely to pull for longer periods.

I think it's all about strength of rods. At the same rpms SRV has to bear 13% more torque and 17% more hp at the crank.
faffi wrote:BTW, are you restoring/repairing your SRV?

I've completely restored it couple of years ago. Just can't stop upgrading it. I'll write tech details later.
faffi wrote:You have the model without rev counter and a bit more classic look compared to the original SRV, I presume?

You're right. Bit more classic with only speedo from Yamaha SRX.
Here last year's photo of it.
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
'13 LML Star 200

PostAuthor: faffi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 am

Very nice! I see you have changed or modified the seat, which looks better than the stock one. Exhaust is also an improvement.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: xkisax » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:09 am

Let's continue.
Right, I've changed the seat, modified subframe and exhaust.

What about frame.
The stock frame have a step between a part under the seat and part under the tank. With stock seat you can't see it, but i don't like how it look without plastic covers. So I've welded two pipes to make a straight horizontal line through bike side.
I had no reasons to have two-seater bike therefore I've shortened a rear part of subframe and installed the hoop. Afterwards the frame and other smaller metal parts were sandblasted and powdercoated.

The seat was made of 10mm plastic sheet and seatfoam roll from ebay. I had no sewing stuff so the seat was covered by leather master. I have took the old spherical high-vacuum stainless steel gizmo to make a seatcowl.

Can't say nothing interesting about exhaust. I've cut stock pipes and turned front pipe to the right side where it was welded to rear exhaust pipe. The muffler was purchased from dime city cycles. Whole weight of exhaust system less than stock one about 5 kilos. Which is nice.

There are much more minor modification like clip-ons installation, footpeg/exhaust mounts, machined triple clamp, handlebar turn signals but there are not interesting for me as much as engine mods.

As I already wrote in xv250 thread, I've bought a nice pair of full-alumunuim cylinders from Taida. They are alusil or nikasil plated and the most important thing - they have 316 cc displacement.
First problem - they didn't fit in crankcase. So I had to bore crankcase holes. Not so fun but easy process.
With the pair of jugs I've ordered forged FJN pistons. That's where I was :banned: up. Forged pistons about 15 grams heavier than stock pistons. After assembling the engine I've got a huge vibrations while running a bike at medium rpms. Shame on me, I didn't even thought about it.
Afterwards I have to balance crankshaft to new pistons weight. Maybe it should be done by pressing tungsten plugs to the counterweight. Will see.

Another nice thing - the engine side cover from ultra-rare modification of rare bike model - Yamaha fzr150 with oil cooler. This side cover is the thing that can allow to install oil cooler without any major modifications. Just have to reweld rear cylinder exhaust pipe.

Yet another problem - cylinder heads has only ~14cc volume that provides ~10 compression ratio in stock 125cc per cylinder. With new cylinders CR has increased over 12. This is another thing that I hadn't thought about while running in new jugs. With that CR it's ok to ride only on 98+ octane number gasoline which is not so common in my country.
I've decided to machine heads to decrease CR to reasonable level. I started with milling machine, finished with engraver.
Now they have about 17-17.5cc volume that provides the same CR as in stock.

To decrease clutch slipping I've bought Yamaha xt250 '81 clutch with 6 friction plates. Fits perfect. Thanks JrZook for investigation.

The most important thing - I've got a cheap vz21 turbine which I want to install. Draw through scheme will be used. Stock wastegate actuator don't provide any pressure adjustment options, I should probably replace it.

To handle twice much power and torque a stock connecting rods will be replaced by cp carrillo custom ones. Carrillo is only one manufacturer who can make rods for this engine but unfortunately not the cheapest one. They will be done within april.

Also I started making a master model for fiberglass fairing. It's not so easy as I had imagined.
Last edited by xkisax on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
'13 LML Star 200

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 am

xkisax wrote:That's where I was :banned: up.

xkisax

You will notice that I edited the sentence as noted in the above quote. The word you used is unacceptable on this family friendly forum.

I ask you not to use that word or any version of it in the future.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:46 am

Language or not, you have great skills :GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: xkisax » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am

Jake wrote: I ask you not to use that word or any version of it in the future.

I got it. Sorry.

faffi wrote:Language or not, you have great skills

Thanks. I'm working on my english.
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
'13 LML Star 200

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:31 pm

I was referring to the banned word, not your general English, which is fine :):
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:23 pm

faffi wrote:I was referring to the banned word, not your general English, which is fine :):

Not the place to air this subject, but you all agreed to the site rules when you joined.

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above; they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The e-mail address is used for confirming your registration details and password or details of new passwords should you forget your current one. Your email address may also be used to send notification of post updates should you require notification.

The Rules may change from time to time. Please check back often. Administration

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Where did I oppose to the word ban :con: I just pointed out that he had great skills, and that his skills would be great regardless.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:09 pm

faffi wrote:Where did I oppose to the word ban :con: .

I interpreted the prior statement incorrectly, my mistake.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 pm

No worries, always a challenge with forums when intonations - and more - are missing.

BTW, you and the other mods generally do not get enough cred for how you run this forum - un-intrusive, smoothly, helpful and friendly :GJ:

Back on topic - it is very interesting to follow this build!
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: ind » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 pm

xkisax wrote:Another nice thing - the engine side cover from ultra-rare modification of rare bike model - Yamaha fzr150 with oil cooler. This side cover is the thing that can allow to install oil cooler without any major modifications.

Oh yeah. It's a shame they only equipped the FZ(R) with those wonderful technical options (the oil cooler connection, the 6speed gearbox and the kickstarter) and sold it in Taiwan only...
Ein Motorradtraum wird meiner Ansicht nach dann wahr, wenn man mit der eigenen Kohle, der eigenen kreativen Schrauberei, den eigenen Ideen folgend sich mit seinen eigenen Händen sein eigenes Krad zurecht macht. (Helmut Wicht)
ind
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1991, 1992, 1992 & 1994 XV 250 Virago

PostAuthor: xkisax » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 am

ind wrote: the 6speed gearbox

Whoa. :o:
Somehow I missed that information.

I've just checked Ruten.tw for any gearboxes and found whole system for less than 50$!
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
'13 LML Star 200

PostAuthor: ind » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:47 am

The ratio of the 6th gear is the same as the 5th gear of the XV/SRV. So just the gradings are finer for better acceleration. There's no change in top speed.
Ein Motorradtraum wird meiner Ansicht nach dann wahr, wenn man mit der eigenen Kohle, der eigenen kreativen Schrauberei, den eigenen Ideen folgend sich mit seinen eigenen Händen sein eigenes Krad zurecht macht. (Helmut Wicht)
ind
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1991, 1992, 1992 & 1994 XV 250 Virago

PostAuthor: JrZook » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Awesome thread mate!
xkisax wrote:To handle twice much power and torque a stock connecting rods will be replaced by cp carrillo custom ones. Carrillo is only one manufacturer who can make rods for this engine but unfortunately not the cheapest one. They will be done within april.

Also very interested in a set of rods for my boosted build. So far the stock XV ones are holding up in my N/A 285cc engine built upto SRV specs (carbs/cams/timing) in addition to higher CR and head/valve work. A bit nervous using them with boost now that you have highlighted the fact that the SRV ones are different...
Mate if you could possibly help me source a 6-speed gearset from that website id be forever in debt to you :beer:
Engine Specs:___________________________________Bike Specs:
HE 285cc_______________________________________FZR250 twin disc front end
52.4mm ceramic/teflon coated flat top pistons_________GSX600F handle bars
Wiseco TTR125 intake/exhaust valves_______________Relocated rear shocks
TTR125 valve springs_____________________________17/40 sprocket
Ported heads, 3 angle seat cuts_____________________XV700 Tacho
SRV250 cams on custom needle roller bearings________Metzler Lazertech tires
Twin Mikuni BDS26 carbs__________________________Custom 2-1 exhaust
Lightened rotor__________________________________Harley sportster muffler
XT250 clutch pack
JrZook
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '94 XV250 Sui-Cycle!

PostAuthor: xkisax » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 pm

ind wrote:The ratio of the 6th gear is the same as the 5th gear of the XV/SRV. So just the gradings are finer for better acceleration. There's no change in top speed.

Better than 5 gears anyway, especially with non-stock sprocket set.

JrZook wrote:Mate if you could possibly help me source a 6-speed gearset from that website id be forever in debt to you :beer:

I've googled a couple of agents that can bring spare parts from ruten : http://www.letsgobuy-tw.com and https://miakyou.blogspot.ru/
If you want I can ask russian agent that I had a deal with about price and possibility of shipping from Taiwan to Australia.

BTW gearbox link: http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21607786430105
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
'13 LML Star 200

PostAuthor: JrZook » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:31 pm

xkisax wrote:If you want I can ask russian agent that I had a deal with about price and possibility of shipping from Taiwan to Australia.

Mate that would be amazing if you could! The caliber of our projects is very similar (re: pioneering and very custom). If I can help out in anyway way just yell out. You will definitely need some form of adjustable ignition control on this engine especially with boost. I think ill have something in the pipeline soon regarding that.
Also please keep my updated with those custom connecting rods.

Anyway here are a few of my threads that might be of interest to you:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32735
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33726&start=20
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52152
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47517
Cheers,
Dan
Engine Specs:___________________________________Bike Specs:
HE 285cc_______________________________________FZR250 twin disc front end
52.4mm ceramic/teflon coated flat top pistons_________GSX600F handle bars
Wiseco TTR125 intake/exhaust valves_______________Relocated rear shocks
TTR125 valve springs_____________________________17/40 sprocket
Ported heads, 3 angle seat cuts_____________________XV700 Tacho
SRV250 cams on custom needle roller bearings________Metzler Lazertech tires
Twin Mikuni BDS26 carbs__________________________Custom 2-1 exhaust
Lightened rotor__________________________________Harley sportster muffler
XT250 clutch pack
JrZook
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '94 XV250 Sui-Cycle!

PostAuthor: xkisax » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 am

JrZook wrote:Mate that would be amazing if you could!

Seems like taiwanese seller is not responding. Unfortunately other gearsets on that site have only 5 gears. Agent girl said that it's not a problem to send parcel directly from Taiwan to Australia by EMS. So if I'll found another seller - I'll tell you.

JrZook wrote:You will definitely need some form of adjustable ignition control on this engine especially with boost. I think ill have something in the pipeline soon regarding that.
Also please keep my updated with those custom connecting rods.
Anyway here are a few of my threads that might be of interest to you:
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32735
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=20
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52152
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47517
Cheers,
Dan

I follow all of your threads. Great work, you have done as much work by yourself as entire workshop crew. I'm your fan, really.
And yes I'm very interested in results of your ignition controller road tests.
xkisax
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
'13 LML Star 200

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha SRV250