VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Turbodog's Sidecar Project

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Turbodog's Sidecar Project

PostAuthor: turbodog » Mon May 01, 2017 1:57 pm

The spring selection process:
I found the 3 springs linked above on Amazon, searching by 1" OD. I made a spreadsheet looking at combinations of these, compared mostly to the specs for Progressive 11-1117.

Then I removed the sock springs, and found they only measured 22 inched long. I expected them to be longer.
I added the last combo to the chart. I then tried it out, putting 1" fender washers between each spring. I had to compress the spring stack about 1 inch to get the fork cap on. I sent the unused springs back. Gotta love Amazon.

As you can see, I gave up a fair amount of travel, but the forks do not ever bottom out. I am not running any air pressure.
'83 XV920 Virago "Spare Parts Bike" Now sidecar tug with Vetter Terraplane hack
'81 XV920R, Resto-mod in hibernation while I finish the sidecar rig
turbodog
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 am

That's very cool, thanks TD! I shall use this when I get mine on 3 wheels!

Cheers,

Rant.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: turbodog » Tue May 02, 2017 2:57 pm

The final fix for the remaining headshake was adding a better steering damper. I used the tried-and-true VW bug damper. Now handling and stability are stellar. The front header is not hanging in harm's way, and the look is cleaner.
New Subframe Completed

Steering Damper

Happy dog
ImageImage
turbodog
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi TD,

Would you say relocating the front axle is a worthwhile mod?

I have swapped the tug forks from the 1st gen 750's to TR1s to get the double disc setup which has moved the axle from the front of the stanchions to the bottom of the stanchions if you see what I mean.. not sure what it has done to the trail tho'..?

I am slowly drawing up various plates for laser cutting required for the project and was wondering if I should include axle relocation plates or not..

I have looked at the exhaust through frame pics but can't figure out where it exits/connects to the rear exhaust.. would love some pics of that side, not that I'll be running mine that way, chair will be mounted on the left for the UK but I am curious as to how you done it..

Cheers,

Rant.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: turbodog » Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 am

I only drove a short distance with the forks in stock configuration. Steering effort was really high. It was marginal for me, and there is no way my wife could have driven it. If you are going to have parts cut, I would include the leading leg adapter pieces. Try it stock, but then you'll have the parts on hand when (not if!) you decide to make the modification. I don't think the 750 forks are sufficiently different from the XV920R to change my advice.

The rear exits the big subframe tube via a 90 degree 'butt-weld' steel elbow. It is a slip-fit into the thin-wall tube inside the big tube. After this pic was taken, I added reinforcement where I cut open the big tube to allow the elbow to exit. The next bit I have no pics: the elbow is welded to a short (3 inch?) tube which enters the truncated collector box. It becomes a permanent part of the collector box assembly. To get it apart, I remove the front cyl header flange nuts, pull the front header pipe forward, loose from the elbow, then extract the left side muffler/collector box/elbow assembly from the left side.

The collector box is modified by cutting off the right side muffler and front cyl inlet pipe in a straight line. Then 1/8 inch steel is welded to cap off the opening. Then, after careful fitment checks with the assembly in the photo above, I cut a hole in the collector box for the inlet from the elbow using a plasma torch. Then assembled the whole thing, tack-welded the elbow to the collector box opening, then pulled it all apart and finished up the welding. The whole thing took a weekend.

The weak link is the slip-fit from the elbow to the thin wall pipe inside the subframe tube. Leakage is minimal because the slip fit is very close.... but after a few thousand miles, will I be able to get it back apart? Hopefully I will have no reason to try.
turbodog
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: turbodog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Just because.....
turbodog
Mod