Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

VIRAGO OIL FILL PLUG

Approved items only, reg members plz use the 4 sale sections.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

VIRAGO OIL FILL PLUG

PostAuthor: tukes23 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Mod edit: Approved item

This is a direct replacement for your crappy factory plastic plug. These are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum and fit better than factory.

Rev 1 is a reproduction of the factory plug in Aluminum and has the fill volume engraved in it to replace the sticker that always falls off the plastic plug.

Rev 2 is a new Knob style design that adds a bit of flare to a normally ignored area.

All plugs are currently only available in a machined finish, but can easily be polished, brushed, powdercoated or painted by you.

All plugs will also include a new high-temp O-ring.

Will fit 1981 and up XV750-XV1100 Viragos.

Please visit the online store for purchase.

http://ocdconcepts.bigcartel.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jake on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Approved by Jake
Adam Tulin
OCD Concepts
ocdconcepts6@gmail.com
Champaign, IL
tukes23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 82 xv920 virago
Sex: Male

Re: VIRAGO OIL FILL PLUG

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:43 pm

I really like the knob design !
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Naspc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Jake wrote:I really like the knob design !

It would be cooler if they have a temp gauge or sensor.
1982 Virago xv750 In progress
Rebuilt Carb with dyno jet kit and pilot jet enlarged with a #76 bit removed Currently running with a stock XV750 Carburetor.
Front End conversion: YZF R6, forks, woodcraft clip-ons D12 grips, throttle, brake and clutch levers done
Acewell 3915 speedo & tach: done
Starter: Box'O'Rocks - Dr. Virago Pete Fix done(still sound like crap)
4 brush starter: Arrowhead SMU0072 done
Air Box to Pod Conversion done
ACCEL Super Coil 140408BK & New Plug Wires with NGK Caps done
Autolite ap63 Spark Plugs done
Ballistic Lithium Ion Battery Evo2 12 done
Grounding Mod done
SirDocWolf 2nd Gen rear wheel conversion 150/90/15 done
BareBone Wiring Harness with Motogadget M-Unit, M-swithces and mini M-swithcesdone
Realm Ram Mono Shock done
This is my Experience:
Naspc
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: Customized 1982 Virago XV750

PostAuthor: tukes23 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Naspc wrote:
Jake wrote:I really like the knob design !

It would be cooler if they have a temp gauge or sensor.

I'm currently working on a piece to replace the oil level sensor with a temp sensor. It probably won't be practical for anyone else, but I'm only doing that because I'm going to put an oil pressure sensor in the system, so i don't need the level sensor.

My build is going to have a ton of electronics on it with a custom digital gauge system keeping track of everything.
Adam Tulin
OCD Concepts
ocdconcepts6@gmail.com
Champaign, IL
tukes23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:57 am

Oh Yea..like that knob design too. Ordered one..for ME..heh. Will swop my metal cap with wife's plastic one when new one arrives.

Shhhh...don't tell her. Don't think she'd notice anyway.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:46 pm

tukes23 wrote:

I'm currently working on a piece to replace the oil level sensor with a temp sensor. It probably won't be practical for anyone else, but I'm only doing that because I'm going to put an oil pressure sensor in the system, so i don't need the level sensor.

My build is going to have a ton of electronics on it with a custom digital gauge system keeping track of everything.

looked through your parts, nice work.

I would like to know more about your custom electrical system with the extra sensors. Would you mind starting a build thread?

FYI the pressure system will only tell you when you are completely out of oil, if you want advanced notice keep the level sensor. With your fabrication skills why not add a temp sensor somewhere else? like your oil cooler adapter.
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
build thread -> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58187&sid=e4ab82933609aa211c1efb06cf000508

2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:49 pm

My cap came today. Looks nice/unique. Tad taller than I expected, but I'll survive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: tukes23 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:42 pm

eslmatt wrote:
tukes23 wrote:

looked through your parts, nice work.

I would like to know more about your custom electrical system with the extra sensors. Would you mind starting a build thread?

FYI the pressure system will only tell you when you are completely out of oil, if you want advanced notice keep the level sensor. With your fabrication skills why not add a temp sensor somewhere else? like your <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=oil+cooler" rel="nofollow"><span>oil </span><span>cooler</span></a> adapter.

The reason to use a pressure sensor is to keep an eye on the oil circulation. There is a very good reason that all modern cars use an oil pressure reading over an oil level reading.

Think about it like this, if you measure your blood pressure, you know that there is blood flowing around your body being pumped by your heart. If all you did was poke the end of your toe to see if there was any blood left in your body, that doesn't tell you anything. If there is no pressure or to much or to little pressure, you can immediately tell there is a problem.

When it comes to engines, oil is the blood that keeps things working. Say your oil pump drive breaks. How would you be able to tell that your entire engine was slowly destroying itself due to lack of oil? Your oil level light would never come on. If you had an oil pressure gauge and warning light, you would be able to see that something wasn't right and shut the engine off before catastrophic damage was done.

If you want to tell if there is oil in your engine, check the sightglass in the stator cover before you go for a ride. That is why it's there.
Adam Tulin
OCD Concepts
ocdconcepts6@gmail.com
Champaign, IL
tukes23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: tukes23 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Flyingdog wrote:My cap came today. Looks nice/unique. Tad taller than I expected, but I'll survive.

Honestly, it's only .012" taller than the factory cap.
Adam Tulin
OCD Concepts
ocdconcepts6@gmail.com
Champaign, IL
tukes23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Well... whatta ya know....Guess the full body of the knob style threw me off atad. They are super nice.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:17 am

I am a fan of many sensors; not or, and :bg:
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
build thread -> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58187&sid=e4ab82933609aa211c1efb06cf000508

2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 am

tukes23 wrote:
eslmatt wrote:
tukes23 wrote: If you had an oil pressure gauge and warning light, you would be able to see that something wasn't right and shut the engine off before catastrophic damage was done. If you want to tell if there is oil in your engine, check the sightglass in the stator cover before you go for a ride. That is why it's there.

There's been oodles of threads regarding this matter. I find, also, just having a simple oil pressure gauge tapped into the upper union bolt will tell me if oil is getting up there. Even though it maybe only bout 10#, it atleast tells me there's oil flowing up there. Maybe coming up with oil line union bolts predrilled & tapped for a gauge, would be handy for those who don't have the skils or tools, to drill & tap...nor the time, either
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Tech Forum Vendors