Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

YamRod250 OH TENN OH

• Advertisement

Post a reply

YamRod250 OH TENN OH

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Mon May 04, 2015 11:18 pm

Have been restless: White Line Withdrawal.

I did a birthday bike camp last weekend rode an hour and a quarter through torrential downpour, cold, wet, soon to be liquored up and dancing or asleep in a tent. It was for the Brother not the Bourbon, amen. Image
But, I had to hit the road soon and this was the primer.

Had a plan. Jacked around, changed the plan, made a hasty yet delayed exit.
YamRod had been packed all week since the birthday so I couldn't unload him and not get my WLW Fix in.
Been talking to a gal I met in Colorado since I did my Utah Trek (and she did her River Guide Training). No Name Colorado is where we shared a camp and a moon and a fire and supps and a breakie. Glenwood Springs Resort and Campground. She lives in Tennessee.

What do you do when there is a new weekend and a packed bike>? Make Miles Man!
So, after planning on taking the CX Custom and swapping the gear and doing some maintenance and worrying about its age and reliability, I took a nap Friday and awoke about 11pm - RATS! YamRod is packed and the CX needs a jump. EASY answer: YamRod and a shower.
We are fueled and rolling out at 2am Saturday. Clear, cool 54oF, layered up and fed and MoonBright.

Traffic is at its best this time of morning. 75 miles to the KY banks on the Ohio. I can feel the cool air finger into the crevices even at five layers deep. Pockets of cages clog and disperse through Cincinnati and the perpetual construction after last call. Next the Brent Spence Bridge, a double deck dinosaur and the Monster climb to Florence, Y'all. A little Fourth and feelin fine but its colder.

I stop in Corinth usually but at 110 miles I have to use reserve already. Thats some thick cold air we are pushing. I stop a little earlier in Crittenden. Fuel up and I want a coffee in the McD but only the drive through is open... I do have a cup holder but I know from experience, coffee don't work out well. I do without and calculate that I can make Corbin, KY on this tank and I'll stop there in about two hours.
It was three and I was cold to the bone @ 43oF and winds and just a lot of effort. I had two pair of gloves on and it sure made some hands and wrists tingle to sleep easily. I could change body positions easy and often but kept tucked up pretty tight. At the Corbin, KY stop, all okay but cold; add food and coffee and a tiny power nap for 10 min and I felt as new.

Next:
The Choice: US-25E or I-75S.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera
Sex: Male

Re: YamRod250 OH TENN OH

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Layered up pretty well I thought. 5 layers top and 3 layers bottom and still Cold to the bone at 6am and 43oF, near shivers. 
The outer layer is the raingear. It usually makes a great windbreak but this is cheezey non-biker fare. Last time for the Condor.

After fuel for both of us, and the break of DawnLight, we shed the chills and rolled again @ 7am.

25E is a good memory but I chose the expressway. 
25E:  I think it's shorter, I think it's faster. I didn't want the small town bog downs at this time or temperatures. 
I-75S was getting busier but we were rolling pretty well and easier than when we started.
( The fuel mileage proves this out in the after-analysis )

Kentucky and I-75 is a sane 70mph limit. YamRod's 'happy spot' was 
68 mph Digital going South, which lays the needle at 75 mph or 120 kph on the Virago Dial.
I think we had a slight headwind.

17/41 is what we run in sprocketing again.

As Dawn creeps to Day we stop for a pic or two. I miss an epic beauty but I didn't want to be an oil spot on the berm. We pull off in a legal zone.

The Smokey Mountains feel like the Frosty Mountains.

Thread the I-75S to I-275 to I-40E to I-81-N to 11E, STOP.
FUEL, COFFEE. 
Sorry about the I, I, I ... I Me Mine, I Me Mine, I Me Mine.... (George)

Easy travels. Don't know where the mind went, or the time. 
9:34a @ Bulls Gap, TN and heading to Johnson City on the four-lane State Route 11E.

Rual turns to Suburban, to small town Greeneville. Sounds like Louisville I mean 'Louavull'.  
I believe the only Greeneville with four 'e's.
Through Jonesborough and back to Rual and a wee more to Johnson City.

Stop at Jim's Yamaha on E. Market and Barton St. 
Nice place.
No fanfare for YamRod but hey, its only Special for us. We like the anonymity.
We find a helmet for 'Amilee' in case we make tracks to Hot Springs, NC for the French Broad Festival.
DA Me forgot to lash the spare on at departure.
Maybe we'll drive, maybe we'll ride. Its later than I figured and we'll just roll with it as it goes.
No worries, no pressures, no expectations. 

Anyway 9hrs, 420miles, start and all stops.
Generally we make 50mph including stops. Roadspeed about 68mph truespeed, 75/120 on the Virago Dial. A tad before 11am.

But we are hungry. Amilee sold one of her boats, and showed me some paddles that she had painted and other paintings. Really neat. 
PeBeo Fantasy Prisme and Moon paints and Vitrail.

Indian Buffet Yummy.
We talked about going to the Art Show and Festival but we started playing with the paints and ended up doing a canvas together. This is cool stuff. YamRod may need a signature before we leave.

We felt good and The French Broad didn't need us. 
We hit the road, cagestyle for an afternoon hike in the park......in the crick...

We built some RockStacks

Found some silly Ents,

Next Stop, the Nolichucky,
then the telemetries, and the final pics homeward.
Not an epic tour but a cool little weekend getouttatownerreunion. umm Overall 811 miles, foods, painting, hikes, rock fun; 41 hrs OH TENN OH
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Those Crazy Kids.

I can't say I know the routes, I had to ask yesterday and still not real clear.
Pretty sure we did the TN 107-TN 81 kinda loop, crossed a few different Creeks as they are written. ( say I, 'Crik' )

I sure do like Tennessee twists and curves and attitudes. The Roads are great too.

The Nolichucky River at Big Rock. I hope I got that correct.

Breakfast at a Pancake House @ Lincoln and Boone in Jonesborough. YUM. Love the Sweet Talk and the Coffee n Cream.

Time for miles.
Its warmer, the air is lighter, and the earplugs make the Larish's sweet inside the Dome.

Good Hugs. Goodbye Hugs.

The only difference back is to remove the cheezey raingear. A short stop real soon to see if my Sis is working. I get an odd expression from an employee and had no idea what she really said other than some kind of No.
Homeward.

Amilee headed me to 25E on the return. We looked at maps and found a lot of curvy roads all the way home for the next travels.
I do want to take US 23 from Ohio all the way nextime soon.

So 11E to 25E to I-75N and I-70W. Not much to it. Here's the last pics.

From Bean Station scenic overlook.
ImageandImageandImage

Image 25E
Image Old 25E
ImageCumberland Gap Tunnel
ImageThe FIX for White Line Withdrawal

So the Telemetrics:
811 miles
11.2 gal US
$31.00 USD for fuel
72.4 MPG overall. 59.8mpg worse tank, 84.7 best tank.
9 hrs OH-TENN via I-75 to I-40 to I-81 generally 68mph actual, 420 miles > expressways 70mph limit generally 43 oF.
8 hrs TENN-OH via I-81 to 25E to I-75 generally 73mph actual, 390 miles > warmer, 69 oF, perhaps a slight tail wind. 25E is 55mph limit and very pleasant 4-lane to Corbin, KY

Going solo, even with camp gear, the lil XVTwoBits is just fine by me.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri May 08, 2015 8:37 pm

If only I was single, I'd be doing that sort of thing too. :crying:

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Fri May 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Nahh, Jake, and I know that's in jest !

The Single Life co$t me a QuarterMillion and a little bit of sanity and soul.
Maybe that's why I like this QuarterLiter so fondly and these silly rides. Can recover Two outta three (ain't bad).
The rides ARE worth it but the lifestyle just ain't all that. Keep your ladies boys. Keep'em happy.

Just making the best of whats left. :chop:
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure