Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Road trip - XV500 from SW Ohio to SW MA

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Road trip - XV500 from SW Ohio to SW MA

PostAuthor: baxterj787 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm

So I am going to a seminar in SW MA. I have a properly-tuned '83 XV500 @ 21k miles and I have 2 - 3 days to get there (MA) and 2 - 3 days to get back from SW Ohio. Tires are new as of this week. Looking at going through Deleware Water Gap. Not looking forward to 2x 200 mile stints on the highway, so backroads may be an option.

1. Am I nuts for trying this on a 500? No saddlebags, no windshield. It IS a 500, so cruising speed on open interstate is 65 - 70. I am currently pulling in an even 50MPG with no burps / hiccups / surging / leaks / other pyrotechnics. Tools will be part of my packing list. All of my materials I need for this seminar will be shipped in advance, so I will be packing light; think a modest internal-framed hiking backpack.

2. Any good suggestions for by-ways to investigate? Generally speaking, I-70 to greater Pitt, overland to Altoona. Highway to East Stroudsburg. Through DE water gap. Highway from DE water gap to Taconic Parkway (NY). The trip is going to happen mid-June. As of now, I am 50 / 50 on car vs bike.

Jason
Good Judgment comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgment.

baxterj787
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 XV500K
Sex: Male

Re: Road trip - XV500 from SW Ohio to SW MA

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 am

No problem with the bike doing the trip, if it is in good condition, but you are going to want a windshield really bad before the trip is done. Especially if you hit rainy weather.
:VTF:
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:15 pm

baxterj787 wrote:So I am going to a seminar in SW MA. I have a properly-tuned '83 XV500 @ 21k miles and I have 2 - 3 days to get there (MA) and 2 - 3 days to get back from SW Ohio. Tires are new as of this week. Looking at going through Deleware Water Gap. Not looking forward to 2x 200 mile stints on the highway, so backroads may be an option.

1. Am I nuts for trying this on a 500? No saddlebags, no windshield. It IS a 500, so cruising speed on open interstate is 65 - 70. I am currently pulling in an even 50MPG with no burps / hiccups / surging / leaks / other pyrotechnics. Tools will be part of my packing list. All of my materials I need for this seminar will be shipped in advance, so I will be packing light; think a modest internal-framed hiking backpack.

2. Any good suggestions for by-ways to investigate? Generally speaking, I-70 to greater Pitt, overland to Altoona. Highway to East Stroudsburg. Through DE water gap. Highway from DE water gap to Taconic Parkway (NY). The trip is going to happen mid-June. As of now, I am 50 / 50 on car vs bike.

Jason

JMO:
if time is a factor, take your cage. if not then certainly go 2-wheels - back roads are the only way for a real tour, and no better way than on a bike.
heard there is some really nice riding country through PA.

if you think you might want a bit more "luggage space", you might consider a tank bag for those items you want to pack and keep close to you ---> https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Tank- ... 2445&psc=1

500 should handle it just fine. Interstates get 'busy', but they're not the autobahn.

again JMO:
I'm not a big fan of wind shields - they can be as much trouble as salvation re. road spray.
using "rain-x" on it will help.
they do knock some wind off so a bit less tiring on long hauls, and 'waterproof' your boots before you go...

either way Bon voyage! enjoy the ride and ride safe.
i'm looking into a San Antonio to Denver one later this summer myself.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:13 am

mark75 wrote:i'm looking into a San Antonio to Denver one later this summer myself.

Nice..if ya get a chance..give me a shout. Maybe we could meet up for some ice tea & pie. :cl: :usa:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Arjay » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:18 am

I made it from West Palm Beach Fl. to Onekama Michigan and back on a 1980? Suzuki GN400.

That bike was not meant for cruising or touring. It was a thumper (1 cylinder). Nearly everything that could crack from vibration or fall off, did.

I had also installed a bar with foot rest directly to my forks. I had a home made cruise control which basically just kept throttle going. I also had a back trunk with lid that had adjustable backrest that I brought all the way forward so back was supported.

With that arrangement I could lay back and steer with my feet in reclined position but only when traffic was light.

I did the right lane hug wherever I could. The right lane is "the right to go slower lane". Make it your default lane.

Also I subscribe to the "own your space" thinking. If you ride in center of lane your in, this makes your riding predictable. Believe it or not people really dont want to run you over. So being predictable helps them judge.

Some say to ride left side of lane so they can see better and be seen better. Well, its a different scenario when your out gunned. Think of that moped/scooter rider. You know the guy who white knuckles his way to work, riding on the right side of right lane. If he rides center he causes a traffic jam. But notice how rigid and predictable he is. Hes not floating out of that space even an inch. He's outgunned, so the only tool he has is maintaining a straight predictable line. That high vis and flashers.

In a way same holds true for motorcycle with smaller engines on the highway. 60, 65, 70 is all workable, but its that moped feeling. Right laning at least helps.

What happens is your going with the flow but every now and then you have groups of speeders. You can usually spot them in the mirror they tailgate and fight for every second tactical advantage, irrespective of how much grief they can cause. Usually in waves of 3.

They tend to gravitate following each other, so as soon as you spot them create hole flow in front of you so they can pass. This brings me back to the point of using center of your lane. If you ride left side of your lane the idiots will consider the right side of your lane an opportunity to pass you. Even when your in the right lane...!!!!!

When you try to overtake them its more of an invitation to follow you.

You can spot them. Everybody's chill, going with the flow but when they come its like a disturbance in the force. I try to find good drivers who usually keep good following distance and work my way using them as imaginary football team. I got my left block up ahead and I risk being in his blind spot, but I can easily spot a safer driver. They signal....!

The right lane is better, but its more of a work out. Thats because you got to deal with more merges. You sometimes have to adjust by slowing down. Keeping an eye on the wheel for movement. The left lane is harder to predict.

One thing is try hard not to get mad/angry. Only thing that does is get your mind off track and maybe cause a stupid decision. It's better to read peoples mistakes ahead of time and buffer by slowing down. Being a courteous rider is where you help others when you can. Slowing down is quite often the best tool.

The best thing any rider can do is pick the best hours to travel. Less people the better. So you can avoid the rush hours. One of the best riding experience on that Suzuki was riding up and down the beach shoreline on Padre Island Texas. Pure fun. Nobody for miles and miles. Recently last Christmas day rode my xv1100 in Florida. It was like being on an alien planet. 441 and only 2 or 3 cars an hour. For fun I rode wrong way on 4 lane for the heck of it.

On the long trip take breaks. When your hands start hurting a good sign. Get a nice full body rainsuit high vis. Duct tape any flapping parts as they tend to rip.

If I make it sound bad, well no. its one of those things like a right of passage. I remember thinking about Peter Fonda in Easy Rider, throwing his watch away. Thats the way it felt.

Rj

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure