VTF Google Search
 Click Here

First multi-day trip. Luggage options?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

First multi-day trip. Luggage options?

PostAuthor: corkscrew » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Hello all!

I'm planning my first motorcycle tour, for the middle of May. Planning on celebrating the end of the semester with a trip from Boise ID, out to the Oregon coast, back to spend a weekend in Portland with some friends, and then back over about a week and a half. Probably around 1000 miles total. Planning on camping in state parks and the like while on the road. Have a backpacking stove, tire plugs, ATV style tire compressor, spare gallon of gas in a Revco tank, and other whatnots along with my tent, sleeping bag and self inflating sleep pad to take along. I have a North Face backpack I figure I'll wear with my clothes in it and a hydration pack for the long haul, provided I can find a water proof cover for it.

My 1996 XV 750 presently has the stock sissy bar and luggage rack,a mustang saddle, new metzler 880's and a pair of leather Willie and Max saddle bags. I'm trying to decide on luggage options as these bags aren't very large, and don't lock. Presently trying to decide between a large, water proof bag to shove everything into, or removing my sissy bar and mounting some sort of a trunk. I know the stock luggage rack isn't very robust, so I'm wondering what everyone might suggest. Leaning towards a trunk for locking purposes, as hard saddle bags are prohibitively expensive.

Any suggestions?
1996 XV750 - Willie & Max saddle bags. Spitfire windshield. ISO-Grips. Cobra slip-on exhaust. Mustang Saddle.

corkscrew
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 750

Re: First multi-day trip. Luggage options?

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=57933
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43350&sid=ae1f1f3b32d7a65b15a4ecca37d6879c#p368753

Just a couple things to read.
As for luggage, you really don't need much if you pack right.
A friend and I did about 1,500 miles in a 4 days, about a month ago.
All I packed besides the tent, sleeping bag, ground pad and pillow (of course);
1 pair pants
3 pair underwear
3 pair socks
2 short sleeve T
1 long sleeve T
1 heavy gloves
1 light gloves w/liners
1 pair shorts or trunks
Slip-on tennies or equivalent
Back pack stove
Instant coffee
Plastic bowls
Plastic spoons
Coffee cup
Bag of Walmart Cereal (your choice)

My friend and I have coffee in the morning, eat cereal then toss the bowls and spoons.
No dishes to wash, I'm full, awake and took my daily old man pills (Vitamins and prescriptions.
We put water on the cereal so no need to carry a half thing of milk. You do develop a tolerance after while>
For more than a few days I wear the shorts do laundry.
I just lately found that I can take a few Tide Pods and dryer sheets in a small bottle (like a prescription bottle).
Doesn't take much room and don't pay $1.50 to $2 for the small box at a laundromat.
Besides if I get hungry I guess I could eat them?

As for luggage you might consider a bag that attaches to the sissy bar. Keep an eye out on Craigslist in your area for deals.
Whenever I go on a long trip I look in the area I'm going thru for Craigslist deals. You might find something in Portland or where ever.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: corkscrew » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for the response and packing list!

Mostly concerned about security when I park and have to leave the bike. Grocery shopping/eating at a diner style. Has me leaning towards a two helmet style trunk vs a sissy bar bag.

Sissy bar bags are an attractive option...wouldn't have to fab a mount for a generic trunk... And could bring it in the tent with me. Some of the viking stuff looks decent for the money. I suppose a padlock and cable would keep average people honest...
1996 XV750 - Willie & Max saddle bags. Spitfire windshield. ISO-Grips. Cobra slip-on exhaust. Mustang Saddle.

corkscrew
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:04 pm

I hope you get a very nice experience on your first tour! Personally, I got fed up with camping 30 years ago - staying at hotels make packing a lot easier. Not to mention the nights comfier. But what works for me doesn't work for everybody, and I know many who enjoy camping for a number of reasons. And they are always willing to share information.

BTW, I usually wear Gore-Tex motorcycle gear when on tour, because that allows me to be dressed for cold and rain as well as nice conditions. When I am more or less certain the weather will be nice, I wear leathers and bring motorcycle rain gear that takes very little space.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:27 pm

had these on my 'watch list'.
they could easily adapt to an XV ---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Hard-Sad ... 7l&vxp=mtr

maybe a tad smallish for long tour :con:

the OEM luggage rack I had was quite strong, only rather small for touring, but was fine for local errands.

been my experience that sneak-thieves look for a "target-of-opportunity" / easy pickin's.
stuff that is securely tied down takes too long to easily rip-off.
It doesn't have to be "locked" down, but it does make ya' feel more secure miles from home.
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: corkscrew » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:04 pm

faffi wrote:I hope you get a very nice experience on your first tour! Personally, I got fed up with camping 30 years ago - staying at hotels make packing a lot easier. Not to mention the nights comfier. But what works for me doesn't work for everybody, and I know many who enjoy camping for a number of reasons. And they are always willing to share information.

BTW, I usually wear Gore-Tex motorcycle gear when on tour, because that allows me to be dressed for cold and rain as well as nice conditions. When I am more or less certain the weather will be nice, I wear leathers and bring motorcycle rain gear that takes very little space.

Thank you! I'm getting excited for it, albeit nervous too, but that's probably a good sign. As far as gear goes, I have an armored leather jacket with a removable insulating liner, and some thick leather chaps, topped off by a full face helmet and a pair of thick leather gloves. Still need to track down a rain suit. For other layers I already have plenty of wool/synthetic options. Jeans will still be cotton though....

As far as camping, it's an economic decision (College student) and I'm still fairly young (35). A self inflating camp mat makes a world of difference too! I will have a real bed and a roof for three nights once I hit Portland. The g/f has offered to put me up in a hotel for a night if I need it somewhere along the road also.

mark75 wrote:
the OEM luggage rack I had was quite strong, only rather small for touring, but was fine for local errands.

been my experience that sneak-thieves look for a "target-of-opportunity" / easy pickin's.
stuff that is securely tied down takes too long to easily rip-off.
It doesn't have to be "locked" down, but it does make ya' feel more secure miles from home.

Thanks for the link, but I've decided not to purchase saddle bags, since I already have a set. I don't have either a trunk or a sissy bar bag, so that's what I'm leaning towards. Figure I can carry the spare tank of gas and the camp stove/fuel, quart of oil, in the non-exhaust side saddle bag, plus whatever else will fit as they aren't large bags. Taking the extra gallon of gas due to one possible route being 130 miles between towns, normally max out around 120 miles per tank, so didn't want to risk running out. Other bag can carry my road gear, tire plugs, tools, flares, compressor, etc. Figure a sissy bar bag/trunk could take my clothes and the rest of the camping gear.

Is the OEM rack that mounts behind the sissy bar the one you are referring too? Haven't been sure if that that constitutes a "luggage" rack or not. I've lashed 12 packs of beer to it before and felt nervous about it, at least as far as a large trunk would go.

corkscrew
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:24 pm

im slightly late to the game here, but im about to take my 920 down to south america over the summer.
Im using 2 large ammo cans... viewtopic.php?f=124&t=58706 ill be updating that topic after my finals. and this guy. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sad ... t-tail-bag
also, there are many soft bags options available for affordable price that would work for you. and they are easily removable. just do some research on advrider.
this is the setup ive ran in the past, it turned out to be very top heavy.
21687658_10155915185832259_5810010227649894656_n.jpg

and as it has bean pointed out, pack light! if you have access to laundry, 2-3 days worth of clean underwear and sucks is all you'll need. Since that photo was taken and i figured out what doesn't work, ive gotten a much smaller sleeping bag, one person tent and upgraded my riding gear to multipurpose. Like 4 season riding pants which are water proof with multiple liners and summer ventilation ports, same with a jacket and boots. also, hydrophobic spray is your friend ;-) However, i still carry spare parts like cables, levers, bulbs, fuses, some bulk wire and electrical tape, and always have 1 or 2 lts of oil+drain plug and water for yourself!
anyways, everyone is different when it comes to long trips, i would highly recommend getting on adventure riders forum and checking for yourself. and last chunk of advice, think of everything you will need for your trip, lay it out on the floor in front of you, and take about 2/3rds or even 1/2 of that stuff, trust me, you wont miss it :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (on a chopping block to become a bobber)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:29 pm

one more... check out this guy, he has some very good advice that you may find handy https://www.youtube.com/user/ramarvarna/playlists
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (on a chopping block to become a bobber)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:30 pm

I've done some 6-7 day trips using a sissy bar bag like this:
https://leatherup.ca/p/Shop-Xelement-Lu ... 88193.html (Leatherup.com in the U.S.)
and a couple saddle bags. A compression bag makes my sleeping bag very compact, and it along with my air mattress, camp stove, billy can, food and coffee and tea, and shaving kit fit easily in the main compartment; the top roll bag holds my rain gear, bandanas, spare goggles/glasses, umbrella (yes, a useful item when its raining and you want to take in the sights). I used one saddle bag for a pair of jeans, spare socks, underwear, chaps, heavy sweatshirt, vest. I ride in full leathers, jacket boots, and pants. The other saddle bag holds a gallon of gas, spare throttle and clutch cables , tire repair kit, litre of oil, Clymers manual and multi-tester. The small pockets on the sissy bar bag are useful for digital camera, cell phone, small pair of binoculars, etc.

Get a water bottle that you can clip on somewhere with a carabiner.

I mount the sissy bar bag on the "pillion" seat - it makes a decent back rest. Oh yeah, and a towel in the front pocket. The saddle bags are throw overs and the sissy bar bag sits on top of the strap. I strapped my 2- person tent onto the back side of the sissy bar. All my camping gear is fairly high-end bac-packing style so its all very compact.

A MUST HAVE for tenting: Sham Wow! If you happen to get caught in a rainstorm and get water in your tent, those things work great for drying it out. My daughter's tent got swamped in a rain storm when her and I where doing the Circle Tour of Lake Superior; I had purchased a couple of them on a whim just before we left and she was thankful to have it in that case.

I've never had any problems with any of the gear/clothing I've purchased from Leatherup.

My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: drainplug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:35 pm

In my list I only put what I carry on the bike, not counting what I wear.
It would be smart to gather everything you want to take and pack it like you're ready to go.
That way you can see what fits and what doesn't.
I'd forget the quart of oil, buy it if you need it, he Crazy Russian is going international, you'll be in the states.
I don't like the zip-in liners as they don't lend themselves to layering. If I get cold I add more T-shirts, hence 2 long sleeve.
If it get really chilly a Salvation Army/Goodwill is a convenient place for sweat shirts or fleece jacket/vest.
You can re-donate it when you get back.
Your rack should be good for up to @ 20lbs. That and back seat is where your sleeping bag and camping gear should be.

I'd be all over the Motel camping thing if I wasn't so damn cheap, I mean "Fiscally Responsible"

Like Mark75 says thieves are lazy, if they have to open something to see if it's worth stealing that's too much trouble.
You're more likely to drop something on the road than to have somebody steal it.
Lost a pair of gloves outside of El Paso last February that way!

By the way, trash bags make excellent rain gear.

Do your best to not start grabbing things as you go out the door. I almost do it every time I go on a trip. Trust me, less is more when you're on a M/C trip.

If you go into my pictures There are 2 pics of my bike which has enough on it to go for two weeks. I now have a smaller tent, sleeping bag, pad and a bigger rear box.
Also have you thought about a tank bag? It's amazing what you can put in one.
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: corkscrew » Fri May 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Ok, pulled the trigger on a few different items. My pocket book isn't happy but you only live once eh.

Bought a Ortleib/Touratech 49L waterproof bag, and a Cortech 18L tank bag that doubles as a backpack. Happy with that decision as I'll be able to take the Cortech and my more expensive smaller items (My SLR!) with me when I stop. With the saddle bags and rear rack still open, I think I'll have enough room for things. Finally replaced my 20 year old sleeping bag with a down model that packs up a lot smaller. Also have spare throttle and clutch cables en route from Ronayers.

Planning on leaving on the 14th. Won't be spending a weekend in Portland anymore due to drama in my friend's household. Still, have a week and a half off of work to head out to the coast and back. My g/f is out of town this weekend so I'm planning on going over the bike with a fine comb, tighten/torque everything, get my new tires on, change the oil/plugs etc. Installing a new windshield, usb/12V, and kurakyn iso-grips.

What does everyone carry in their tool kit? I went to Harbor Freight today. Carrying a small tool bag with a 3/8" ratchet, several 3/8" sockets, including hex keys, and several wrenches in the more normal sizes.

corkscrew
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: jenaliaanderson » Thu May 10, 2018 6:11 am

Best of luck for your journey but take care of your health.

jenaliaanderson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: hero model 2013
Sex: Female

PostAuthor: drainplug » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 am

As for tools, I have done a Bunch of Dualsport rides where you carry whatever you need either in a waist bag or backpack.
The weight is on you not just the bike so you try to carry only what you need to get the job done.

I like 1/4" drive Craftsman or better socket set with a breaker bar rather than ratchet. It's hard to break/strip bolts if you use 1/4"
8,10,12 &14mm I nest the sockets together on a piece of solid copper wire so I don't have to look for them.
A short 1/4"x 2"extension
8,10,12,14mm end wrenches
1- 8" adjustable end wrench, for the axle nuts or maybe standard bolts, smacking somebody in the head?
Folding metric hex key set.
Multi tip screwdriver with 1/4"x5/16" (8mm) socket ends. Take the insert out of the handle and it stores smaller.
About 6- 8" zip ties, 4- 4" zip ties
I rolled some GOOD quality Duct tape (Gorilla glue?) onto a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe. You only need about 6 to 8 feet.
I always have a "Multi tool" with the needle nose pliers. I prefer Gerber but Leatherman is good too. Whatever you do, stay away from the Harbor Freight type imitations, hey're cheap for a reason.
A couple 6mm nuts and bolts, metal valve stem cap (with included stem puller)and 10 & 15 amp fuses.
I picked up a pair of 4" Vice grips at a Lowes for cheap and couldn't resist. Haven't used them much, but you never know
I suggest that you use the tools you are going to take on a trip when you work on your bike for a few months so you learn what you are really going to need when the time comes. And you will figure out what you if you need something more, or less.
If you find you need a left handed widget in Wentworth, it's better to find out at home instead of on State Route 429 in B.F. Nowhere
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure