VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Advice on lane splitting for a rider new to California

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Advice on lane splitting for a rider new to California

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:54 am

Hi all.
It's a bit early, but next year I will be on a long road trip and I'll be winding up in California visiting friends in the San Diego area. It looks like lane splitting is legal now but it has been part of the riding culture forever.
My question is should I attempt it when I get there? I found a really good page about lane splitting just now and it lays things out very well: http://www.highsidemoto.com/california- ... nd-tricks/
I'd be interested in hearing from those who do it on a daily or weekly basis. I'm not looking for thrills, just to get through traffic I'll inevitably encounter. From what I can see from videos from responsible riders on youtube, most drivers give way between the 1st and 2nd lanes without many surprises. I think my main concern is clearance since I'm not on a sportbike. Though, the Virago isn't all that much wider and I guess harley riders do it often enough, too.
I expect it will be like the first time I got on a freeway with my bike. I got on, got to where I was going at got off and said to myself, "I'm never doing that ever again!", only to find myself comfortably riding there a few days later.
Anyway, thanks for reading and let me know what you think.
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Advice on lane splitting for a rider new to California

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 pm

JMO: lane splitting is for those who are looking to become an organ donor - only barely acceptable in grid-lock/ freeway parking-lot situations.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: ---
--- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely :bike:

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Artie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:02 pm

:yup:

Ive done it, but I just don't trust the other wads on the road to not get impatient and stick their nose out in front of you. Its only recently become legal here in Australia and there are still enough idiots who don't know yet that its legal, or who are offended that you have an advantage over them being gridlocked, that they get antsy...like open doors on you as you pass....... check youtube, plenty of examples....

if you REALLY want to do it, go very slowly and only when the traffic around you is stopped....

just my 0.02c
Artie
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: East Coast of Australia - Bateman's Bay New South Wales Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 xv750 virago x 4 (too many??)
1983 Ducati Pantah
1954 Triumph Speed Twin (sold)

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:07 pm

I know this isn't the advice you are looking for but I have only been lane split as an automobile driver and I get pretty worked up over having to watch for bikes constantly behind me as well as beside me. Very uncomfortable as a car jockey, I don't think I'd have the nads to do it on a bike regularly.

Few riders (imho) that I saw were using much sense. I'm sure it takes some getting used to.

My advice is to say some prayers, Gear Up, wear ATGATT, body armor, and the best helmet money can buy, tell your loved ones that you love them.
Then trade UP to an XV250 and you won't have the power to lane split.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

PostAuthor: fomoco69 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:54 pm

I agree....very risky in the city areas of California.....people are rude & impatient & have thier heads up thier asses & cell phones in hand.....better to be patient & stay off freeways during week days & rush hours....I try to ride early or late or on week - ends.....too many idiots in California

fomoco69
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV 1100 Virago

PostAuthor: fomoco69 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Artie wrote::yup:

Ive done it, but I just don't trust the other wads on the road to not get impatient and stick their nose out in front of you. Its only recently become legal here in Australia and there are still enough idiots who don't know yet that its legal, or who are offended that you have an advantage over them being gridlocked, that they get antsy...like open doors on you as you pass....... check youtube, plenty of examples....

if you REALLY want to do it, go very slowly and only when the traffic around you is stopped....

just my 0.02c

Good advice !

fomoco69
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV 1100 Virago

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50 pm

OK. So from what I'm reading here, I should only do it if traffic is at or near a stand still or not even attempt it, period. Sounds good to me. Thanks guys.
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Also don't go to fast when you split.

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: budwana2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 am

As another Aussie rider has said It's legal to lane split here in Australia.
In saying that different states different laws, I will not attempt to say what the laws are for different states. I am 73 years of age and have lane split quite often, be wary of the cars that are close together.
I will add here I DO NOT LANE SPLIT in moving traffic, the legal speed to do so is below 40 KPH.
That helps to eliminate some of the dick heads.

Recently after a great weekend and reuniting with my daughters after 17yrs , towing a trailer I hit horrendous rain with only 40 kilometers to go.It happened so fast before I knew it I was on the ground.
Apparently I had hit a greasy patch bike went out from under me, speed was not a cause 80 ks we had slowed down to 70. Anyway bike went one way me the other. I was carried to the side of the road. Looking over my shoulder was able to see guys lifting bike up.

Pheww that's good then the pain in my left shoulder started.
A young woman and a young guy were now attending me he was a 1st aider she was a Nurse. How lucky was I.

They had rang the ambulance, after a check was taken to hospital xrays pain killers done, badly bruised.
Time accident happened 2.30 pm out of Hospital 5.30 all good now find my bike!!!!

No drama's recovered bike next day then rode home. Damage done: Screen gone crash bar bent, indicator ,Helmet stuffed, Jacket gravel rash, air cover bit of ding,the lucky part not one bit of blood spilt.

So after 3 weeks the shoulder is almost good as new slowly I have repaired bike, trailer will be done later only slight paint scratches there. What I really came on here today was to find advice on a new windshield/screen gladly I have found that. So guys take it easy on the road and have safe trip.
Cheers Campbell

budwana2001
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 XV Virago 1100

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I don't care if people who never rode a motorcycle decided to make lane splitting legal or not. It is a very dangerous business. I will not do it on any of my bikes...... Anyone who does is putting their live in the hands of some idiot who gets P'd off....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 pm

sorry to hear you had a "go-down", but glad to hear you are OK.

doesn't sound like you were splitting when it happened, yes? that could have been a very different ending.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: ---
--- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely :bike:

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure