Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Toronto or BUST!

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Toronto or BUST!

PostAuthor: bonestock3 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 pm

So I've contemplated a solo trip for a while, my last was to Florida on my Shadow VLX600 a few years ago. I learned a lot about preparation and patience there as well as the importance of sleep.

This month I've decided to go for Toronto which is about 500 miles North of home in the Bronx. I get a stamp on the pass port (right?) and explore some ways North in NY im usually limited from exploring. I've read some threads on prep (to brush up but always to welcome your experiences).

So A) I'd love to hear from any of you who might have visited Toronto and may have advice in getting around or if just some points of interest to share, I am into architecture, and nice sights but dont want to get stuck doing touristy things only. Will only be there 2 days max.

B) anyone who commutes or has ridden or lives in the path between NYC and Buffalo who might recommend a route, id be fine adding an extra hour or two to overall ride to enjoy fine views or roads.
I'd much enjoy your help as I would hate to come back and then learn all the cool things I could have done. Def have Bacon & Maple on my list

bonestock3
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Toronto or BUST!

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 am

Sleep is good, I do not recommend it on the handlebars.

Bummer that your time is so limited. My overall actual travel time has been about 50 miles per hour which includes fuel, drink and food stops. But to be on short schedule I'm sure you'll roll a bit faster.

Toronto, I can only recommed trying to look up Gene (LightCycle) and Neda from Ridedot.com.
Epic travelers, great photogs.

Roads, sounds like superslab is the way to get there and after, explore some two-lane if you have time on the wayback. Check your insurances. No weapons across border.

Good time to you.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 am

CX Rancher wrote:Sleep is good, I do not recommend it on the handlebars.

Oh you wait...some huckleberry is going to start fooling around with self-driving bikes. So you can take a snooze without stopping.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 am

When I am in Canada my home is near Niagara Falls. Cross at the rainbow bridge, great view of the falls. Turn right, go past the falls. Then get away from Niagara Falls, unless you are a gambler.

Follow the river to Portage road, go right.
Follow that to McLoud road, follow till the end at Thorald townline road, Turn right.
The next big intersection is Lundy's lane, turn left.\
lundy's lane turns into Highway 20. You can follow Highway 20 till Hamilton

much nicer than taking the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW)

What are you using for Navigation?

*edit You need to ask really nicely to get a stamp. Most of us who cross the border do not want a stamp. We do it too often and will fill up our passports :bg:

Niagara on the lake has a lot of history, Hamilton has a lot of smog. Downtown Toronto has most of the old building. If you want architexture plan a trip to Quebec City or Montreal. It is like visiting Europe.
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
build thread -> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58187&sid=e4ab82933609aa211c1efb06cf000508

2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Don´t forget the CN tower if you are into heights

Other than that, I think Toronto , as many big cities have there own tourist homepage there might be a page on visiting Ontario, as they have wine area and the Welland channel as well, and that is a big thing to see, where the ships go up the same height as the Niagara waterfall.

Find a good hotel and get some good sleep, and have a nice trip

Hi from Erik
1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special - Happy wrench time, thanks everybody, I enjoy this community, hi from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Denmark NE - former Canadian-Calgary - MARADAtech - Hotel Brinkly - gterik@gmail.com Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special, 1982 Yamaha XV920 Virago 10L

PostAuthor: bonestock3 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:50 am

CX Rancher wrote:Sleep is good, I do not recommend it on the handlebars.

Bummer that your time is so limited. My overall actual travel time has been about 50 miles per hour which includes fuel, drink and food stops. But to be on short schedule I'm sure you'll roll a bit faster.

Toronto, I can only recommed trying to look up Gene (LightCycle) and Neda from Ridedot.com.
Epic travelers, great photogs.

Roads, sounds like superslab is the way to get there and after, explore some two-lane if you have time on the wayback. Check your insurances. No weapons across border.

Good time to you.

I will look them up as I prep, have pushed the date back to mid September to wait for new tires and such. Not trying to go too fast to avoid fatigue though.

eslmatt wrote:When I am in Canada my home is near Niagara Falls. Cross at the rainbow bridge, great view of the falls. Turn right, go past the falls. Then get away from Niagara Falls, unless you are a gambler.

Follow the river to Portage road, go right.
Follow that to McLoud road, follow till the end at Thorald townline road, Turn right.
The next big intersection is Lundy's lane, turn left.\
lundy's lane turns into Highway 20. You can follow Highway 20 till Hamilton

much nicer than taking the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW)

What are you using for Navigation?

*edit You need to ask really nicely to get a stamp. Most of us who cross the border do not want a stamp. We do it too often and will fill up our passports :bg:

Niagara on the lake has a lot of history, Hamilton has a lot of smog. Downtown Toronto has most of the old building. If you want architexture plan a trip to Quebec City or Montreal. It is like visiting Europe.

Thanks, noted- Will either have a phone holder or directions written and taped to tank to preserve battery and data. I'd def want that stamp- at least for the first run!

beltdrive wrote:Don´t forget the CN tower if you are into heights

Other than that, I think Toronto , as many big cities have there own tourist homepage there might be a page on visiting Ontario, as they have wine area and the Welland channel as well, and that is a big thing to see, where the ships go up the same height as the Niagara waterfall.

Find a good hotel and get some good sleep, and have a nice trip

Hi from Erik

Hey Erik, thanks for that CN tower is on list. I'd like to see some but would be okay just walking around and taking in the local culture. Restuarants or bars that might be must see. Maybe they have a different cuisine or specialty store that we dont have. I'm also really excited to see some of the cars they get that we dont (Acura EL for example).

As for sleep, my cousin has an apartment in Binghamton I will use as halfway point. I understand the importance of that after my trip to FL... ended up sleeping in a bathroom stall with my duffel for an hour..

bonestock3
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: eslmatt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:02 pm

The frustrating thing about Toronto "Culture" is that the city is so multi-ethnic it doesn't exist.

You can choose the culture you want to visit, Maybe watch "Canadian Bacon" to get an idea of what the area used to be like.

Try Harvey's for a fast food hamburger, Swiss Chalet for roasted chicken
1984 VX750 Japanese special - stolen - RECOVERED
build thread -> http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58187&sid=e4ab82933609aa211c1efb06cf000508

2010 Jailing 110 customized

When asking how, also tell me why.

eslmatt
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986+ xv750 Japanese special

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure