VTF Google Search
 Click Here

preliminary trans-June rideabout

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: preliminary trans-June rideabout

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 pm

rantingsmith wrote:Hey Rancher,

If you're dusting off the museum that wasn't how about a group photo to give us an impression?

Cheers,

Rant.
Yo Rant, this is an old file photo from before the divorce but I'll wash them up this weekend and get a current pictorial. They are barn dusty and a wee bit varmenty. We'll do a spray shine.
Older museum in infancy.
ImageForeground to fence>
'83CX650Custom,
'78CX500(1st yr original production),
'82 SWGL500i, and
'82 CX650T (1st yr production turbo). Since then I have added another CX500T, a CX650T, a 650SWGLi, and a 650SWGL standard. (yeah I call them SWGLi's and SWGLs). plus two completely disassembled: '78 Maggot and CX650Custom.
All 650's are 1983, two '78's and the rest are 1982's. letssee um, 8 assembled and 5 running today the other three should fire Saturday, two carcasses with most all of their parts here and there. that's 10 maggot variants. Some need fork seals and some need caliper/mcyl overhauls and some need bothree. And of course YamRod and kid1's NakedWing
lol nearly an advertisement....but maybe when I return...if I return from this lil scamp.

I love the 650's power/rpm range but the 500 was the real design gem. High reving, push rods, and top heavy but its my preferred configuration. They quit after one year of the 650 for many reasons. They're a cult preoccupation now. and I guess they always were. Darling li'l Orphans.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Sun May 07, 2017 3:32 am

The rest of the "Museum That Wasn't". (thanks for that, rantingsmith)
The CX650C above is in these two also, otherwise no duplicate pics. All 650s here except the 500Turbo in the foreground. All of them have a good story.
ImageImage

'82 CX500T , Boston, MA
'83 CX650T , Grey Lake, Illinois
'83 SWGL650 , Fairborn, OH
'83 SWGL650i , Lancaster, PA
'83 CX650C , Charlotte, NC

(And the Allis-Chalmers 'C' model, that's Kid1's)
I had a chance to get a CX650E, and I went for another CX500T the one here. I wish I had gotten the E now. It was brought in from Canada but the sale sounded a little sketchy at the time.
So, my first bike, I bought new in 1983, a '82 SWGL500i. Let it go when kid1 fell out in 1992. When they hit high school 2008, I bought the '78. Started this Clutch of Maggots from there.

The Oldsmobiles were a sideshow, now put to bed.

Makes me feel kind of nostalgic about a lot of things. Welp, that's the lot of the Ranch Hands.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: rantingsmith » Sun May 07, 2017 11:03 am

Very nice, lovely collection, love that it is becoming a sort of rolling museum now.

The 500's were loved by London courier/despatch riders. There are still quite a few about mostly high mileage items.

They have been steadily going up in price ever since the new cafe racer scene has been drooling over some choice customized ones..

My personal faves:

This was the first one I saw and still one of the best by the Wrenchmonkees http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cx500 and this one by Auto Fabrica takes it to another level, it oozes refined style and elegance with those pipes and combined tank seat unit http://www.bikeexif.com/cx500-honda.

My foreman spent 6 weeks going around Europe with his best mate on the back of a brand new Vetter faired 500 back in the day, his eyes still glaze over when he talks about it and even though he's English he refers to CXs as 'a proper bike'.
The Flying Anvil XV750SE '82 - Custom rear subframe, Bar end mirrors, New indicators, New tail light, 18" rear wheel conversion, KOSO speedo, lithium battery, custom wiring harness, clipons, modified SR500 rearsets, Lucas replica switchgear, K&N air filter, many parts powdercoated
XV920 '81- Watsonian Monaco sidecar tug project-work in progress - top end rebuild time
TR1.1 '81 Basket case project - Work in progress - Sepp Koch style frame chop plus refinement, XVS1100 jugs piston crankshaft conversion, nanno's 9 plate clutch conversion, BMW r850r rear shock, spoke wheels XS650 front & rear, twin 320mm discs with Yamaha Blue spot calipers, XT500 tank, twin Webber carbs, home built exhaust (hopefully) seat and subframe, footrest hangers...
rantingsmith
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE UK Model - The Flying Anvil - awaiting better weather

1981 XV920 - sidecar tug project bike - Watsonian Monaco sidecar to be fitted

1981 TR1 - Basket case project - bought completely dismantled and teaching me mechanics 101

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Sun May 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Lovely transformations, rant.

My riding favourite is really the '78 Deluxe or Standard as this was the only model in '78.
'79 and '80 brought the Custom with the Deluxe ( Standard ) and '81 the Custom and the SilverWing and no Standard/Deluxe. The way I understand the evolutions.

So, back to the YamRod and what to do. I don't want to run my soft bags this time. I ruined the new pair last year and I have only two more new NOS Emgo Buffalo Black bags remaining.I love them.

BUT I have a set of old Krauser Bags and Trunk from the CX650T !
Been told that I need hard bags for the forested areas so here is how the mounting may look in the end. I need some better support for load but ta-daaa.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

I do not like trying to buy the correct nuts and bolts 13 times and still not have what I need. So, I must try fourteen.....plus I need to make some bracing and maybe a three point bracket to relieve the load on the fender skin where the signals used to be.
Must space the bag mounts outside of shock interference which is what ate my Emgo Buffalo Soft Bags. Even though I used some bag stand offs, the load made them rest on the shock springs. Did I say I love my soft bags? I do. I hate muffing them up.

Soooo, after most of the day, I do get confirmation that Kid2 will go with me and try to roll the whole tour.
I love this. I love this a lot.
so...should I make two 650's ready now? Matching performance would be a good idea... Running the two SWGLs would be a hoot. or the Custom and the SWGLi. One should have fork seals (the i), one should have caliper overhaul and carby cleaning (the GL650) or the Custom just a muffler change and a battery.
Crunchtime. Wow. This changes things and I wasn't quite prepared, but we have two weeks and three days to departure.
I expect the winds to be severe, so the SWGLi is the most favoured for him. the Custom is the quickest to ready.
Scenario 1, easiest: YamRod for me and Custom for kid2
Scenario 2, YamRod for me and SWGLi for kid 2
Scenario 3, SWGLi for kid2 and Custom or SWGL for me. Or some dingdong combo.
I figure the turbos are out because parts are too hard to find on the road.

What a fun dilemma.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: two 85 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm sure you'll get it sorted, and remember you have a big family out here to help on the way.

The two "85s"
two 85
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv700 Virago
1985 vt700 Shadow
1984 xv1000 Virago Hack
1986 xv1100 Virago

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Tue May 23, 2017 12:44 am

ImageImageImageImageImage

Here is the finished prospect.

I have new handle bars to replace the bent version from last years sspilll.
New 17/39 sprockets and gawd-another-chain for fun. Have a travel 16T for mountains and gofaster inclinations.

I love the Krauser Bags and Boot. Liter limitless storage (almost) and he runs though the air better than the soft bags and sissy bar contraption from last year. Image
He is not streamline but he is sleeker.

We have true three point suspension on each side bag and a center support for the boot.
Shock Bolt - turn signal boss - Link to rear foot peg mounts.
and Pillion seat stud.
Total rear shock and spring clearence.

Still want different shocks as I put the OE back on and we bottom out unloaded way too much. I like the Maggot lift but the chain adjustment is rather fickle. I have experimented with the MAX shock/swing arm extension and I think I have a solution to set the chain to minimum slack at max swingarm extension and just be happy. The swing arm has limited travel up and down due to the shock extension and it all makes one minimum and one maximum distance so, there is only one happy adjustment as far as I see. Simple and doable.
I'd essentially want a 1/2" longer shock eye to eye with at least the same travel compression travel or 1/4" more or so and one step up in spring rate on both windings. or two on the light K1 and one on the heavy K2.

The Unloaded Swing Arm travel is limited by the Swing Arm/Exhaust interference.The loaded swing arm travel is limited by the shock it appears.
My Maggot shocks have no damping left. They ride higher but we bounce a lot.

NOW FOR THE CONSOLATION RIFFLE:
and its a good thing!,
My youngest son want to go with me. RAH!
He is willing to do a short ride but he doesn't have the stamina/health for such a ride.
We Shall Cage It for the most part.

SOoooo, Like James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff / Support Your Local Gunfighter, I'll be always on my way to Sequoia (instead of Australia). Some day. and actually we intend to hit Sequoia, or close, in the car.

Not to put the total reason on kid2, as I have been rather ill the past month with repeated DOC visits and hospital thank yous to boot. I had been hitting the hiking trails nice and hard but (100+ miles a month) hit the wall a month ago and seemingly developed asthma or copd or whatever. Not Right just yet but we will roll by Sunday. Caged but happy. Inhalers be damned. its not a mass at least.

He has the CX650C rolling and I have Yamrod and we do intend a ride together but after the WesternShow.
I was so geared up. So set. and now its better than I could have planned, honestly. We had missed some opportunities together in the past, so perhaps this is OUR TIME at last.
If I could take them both I would. Just so. I know every country has beautiful places and settings and evocative sights with emotional draws. The American West is so beautiful and raw to me, nothing draws me back as such.

Took kid1 to Death Valley and it made a huge impression on us both.

Documenting a cage tour has no place here. But I will toss a blurb here and there.
I won't let you all down but the YamRod farewell will go yet another year.
And perhaps that was the hardest sentence yet to key.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: two 85 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Be safe and have a great time!

The two "85s"
two 85
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv700 Virago
1985 vt700 Shadow
1984 xv1000 Virago Hack
1986 xv1100 Virago

PostAuthor: drainplug » Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Sorry to hear your health is not so good but that's how it goes sometimes. You still have my number if you need anything.
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure