Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Travelling to Tennessee in May

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Travelling to Tennessee in May

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this request, if the mods feel there is a better one, please move it.

My son (37) and I (65) are flying from the UK to Tennessee for 10 days in mid May, flights all booked and paid for. We're both into music, I'm interested in the Civil War, and we are prepared to do some touristy stuff, so Nashville, Memphis (Beale St and Graceland), Lynchburg and Murfreesboro are already on the list.

A few questions:-

1. Any recommendations for accommodation for the first few days in Nashville. We'd prefer to avoid the 'concrete palaces' and find somewhere a little more real?

2. There is an American base/listening station near where I live in the UK (Menwith Hill), and speaking to a couple of people from there in a local pub last night they warned us to be very careful where we go in Memphis. Can any locals elaborate on this please?

3. Are there any 'must see' places you recommend, either in Tenn or bordering states? We will be hiring a car so mobility isn't an issue, but neither do we want to spend all day behind the wheel.

4. Any recommendations for Guy Fieri type food joints, we are both big fans of 'Diners, Drive Ins and Dives'?

Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance,

Jonno
Damned if I do, bored if I don't - 95 XV1100
jonno51
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model
Sex: Male

Re: Travelling to Tennessee in May

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Nashville:
One of my favorite dives is gone but there is a strip of restaurants in the 1500 Demonbreun St area.
I think that there is an odd Children's Park bronze sculpture nearby I think everyone wears a fig leaf.

Lane Motor Museum
Johnny Cash Museum
Grand Ole Opry House
Centennial Park "The Parthenon" Full scale replica.

Nearby:
Mamouth Cave Kentucky
Corvette Museum - Bowling Green Kentucky

I'm not local to there but these are some of the places I'd go back to besides Music Row. Its all rather touristy and pricey but its interesting.

I don't know Memphis at all except they have mindful traffic cops about.
Meeman-Shelby State Forest Park north of Memphis looks cool.
Graceland

I moved this to Travel and Leisure and left a shadow copy for more exposure.
If things go as planned I'll be 'nearby' at the end of May. I'll at least wave!
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

Re: Travelling to Tennessee in May

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm

CX Rancher wrote:Nashville:
One of my favorite dives is gone but there is a strip of restaurants in the 1500 Demonbreun St area.
I think that there is an odd Children's Park bronze sculpture nearby I think everyone wears a fig leaf.

Lane Motor Museum
Johnny Cash Museum
Grand Ole Opry House
Centennial Park "The Parthenon" Full scale replica.

Nearby:
Mamouth Cave Kentucky
Corvette Museum - Bowling Green Kentucky

I'm not local to there but these are some of the places I'd go back to besides Music Row. Its all rather touristy and pricey but its interesting.

I don't know Memphis at all except they have mindful traffic cops about.
Meeman-Shelby State Forest Park north of Memphis looks cool.
Graceland

I moved this to Travel and Leisure and left a shadow copy for more exposure.
If things go as planned I'll be 'nearby' at the end of May. I'll at least wave!

Just got back, had a great time, and I now have a serious sausage gravy habit. Friendly people, good food and a wider choice of beers than I have ever seen before in the US.

This is what we did:-
Boston - had to stay overnight on the way in to get the best flight prices. Clam chowder at the Union Oyster House, reputedly the oldest restaurant in America
Nashville - great live music in Honky Tonk Central and Tequila Cowboy. Caught a ball game v Albuquerque. Andrew Jackson's mansion
Murfreesboro - Stones River battle site - moving, as they always are.
Lynchburg - very informative JD distillery tour
Overnight in Huntsville
Leeds Alabama - Barber Motorsports Museum - biggest motorcycle collection in the world.
Green Top BBQ, Dora, Alabama - the best lemon pepper chicken my son has ever tasted.
Tupelo, Miss - birthplace of Elvis
Clarksdale, Miss - the most famous crossroads in the world for a blues/rock fan. Also a good rock and blues museum
Helena, Ark - home of the oldest running radio show in the world, but with apologies to anyone who lives there, this town has definitely seen better days.
Memphis - Beale Street, great live music, interesting river boat trip, meat overload at Texas de Brazil, and then Gracelands. And isn't the Mississippi one wide @$$ river?
Shiloh battle site ( a huge area, surprised me), then Savannah on the Tennessee River (apart from the BBQ at the Hickory Pit, not much of interest in Savannah, Tenn IMHO)
Bowling Green for the Corvette museum - well worth a visit, this was the quid pro quo for dragging my son round the Barber exhibits. Lunch at the Smoky Pig also got the thumbs up from him. He has developed a liking for vinegar slaw, it's always made with mayo over here.
Back to Nashville and home via Boston.
Back into Manchester UK at 5am Sunday now struggling to sleep at the correct time, I appear to have morphed into an owl.
Damned if I do, bored if I don't - 95 XV1100
jonno51
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Travel & Leisure