Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Season's end

Enjoy the scenery and a friendly discussion on The Park Bench.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Season's end

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:57 pm

My two daughters and I usually do a "turkey run" on our Thanksgiving Weekend (Canadian - two weekends ago). We load up with seafoam and stabilizer and go for a long enough ride to be sure it's gone through the fuel system. This year the weather was so bad we couldn't go. Two days ago there was snow on the ground. Today the forecast was for +12C and partial sun (Wrong - as we found out...). So we set out about 3:P.M. after the girls got all the necessary baby sitters in place. Destination, a lake where we camped at for years; about 35 kms. It started to rain about 5 km from the lake; as it turned out, it was actually the end of a rain squall that was passing through. So we got to the lake and took a couple pictures before heading back home.

As you can see, that's a nasty looking sky and the temperature had dropped to about 7. Black Ice! Discovered the rain had frozen when the back tire spun on me. So it was tip toe back to town, top up the tanks, have a coffee and look forward to next year - already hoping for an early spring!

IMG_20191026_155333 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Re: Season's end

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 am

Cusstout 1100 wrote: Black Ice! Discovered the rain had frozen when the back tire spun on me.

Sounds both: Nice & whoopsi ending to a season. Bet that was a handful with a raked front end. (Thinking back to a similar situation with a harley and raked front end). Probly not "quite" as squirrelly, though..being lot lower CoG. :ops:

Oh..by the way.."Thanks"...your crap weather is probly what's going to hit us Sun or Mon. Weather Underground's Forecast: 15" of the white stuff...and not stop til Weds. :r: :GJ: :r: :;:
Nothing better for kiddies' Halloween, get all dressed up in costume and put on yer heavy overcoat...
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:19 am

Glad you made it home safely. Nice pic, BTW. Riding in those temps is no fun. Temp today here is 85*F. We ride all year in Florida.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Hey Flying Dog, the weather we dread here in winter is an approaching "Colorado Low"... best have the shovels polished up when you send one of those our way (we're about 100 miles east of the Manitoba border in north-west Ontario).

Strange thing about that front end....or maybe it's because my arse is closer to the ground with the short shocks and my custom seat, but it's really pretty stable. Centre of gravity and weight distribution? Whereas it's really easy to pop any of our other Viragos up on the centre stand (both my daughters have no problem doing that), mine is REALLY heavy! It takes all of my 165 pounds and perfect timing/technique to get it onto the centre stand. Anyway, others I ride with are always surprised at how well it handles the twisties.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:17 pm

@ Cusstout --- I envy you at least the memorable ride with your kids.
my riding buddy is at school in FDs' country.

@ Flyingdog --- Denver got snow earlier didn't it, like in May? maybe that was late winter? :naughty: :bg:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Sounds like our kind of weather, as we say "6 months of winter and 6 months of poor sledding."

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:49 pm

mark75 wrote:@ Flyingdog --- Denver got snow earlier didn't it, like in May? maybe that was late winter? :naughty: :bg:

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe in the high country, don't remember. Earliest I remember, was Sept for first snow..few years back. Our first snow, this year, was around the 10th of this month. Probly 6". Truth been told, in the thirty years I've be out here, there's only been one or two times where I'd call having some major snows in these lower parts (6' or so total). But..even then, back in the mid-west..we'd call that a daily dust'n. :cl: These parts don't know what a snow storm is. Put it this way...anytime there's a chance of an inch of snow predicted..the grocery stores get emptied. :r: I remember one year back east, I actually used a front end loader and dug a tunnel, just to get the pickup out of my parents farm lane. We had some 20' drifts going on. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:00 pm

mark75 wrote:@ Flyingdog --- Denver got snow earlier didn't it, like in May? maybe that was late winter? :naughty: :bg:

Mark..have to apologize..had a major mental gap going..you're right. We did get snow last April and May. Got the beginnings and endings of the season back-arse-wards. Completely muffed the last part of yer sentance. Was thinking more of "first snow". Didn't dawn on me that we only got 5 months of "real" summer, apparently.

All well..the latest is gone, for now...supposedly hit 70° Saturday....soooo, how you like them apples..Cusstout? :r:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:54 pm

It'll be a long time before we see 70 here; probably about 7 months from now. Average daytime high now is about -7 C. and declining. The worst is far from being here yet, January and February will see several days of -40 (and that's the same for F and C). But, ya know, all this talk of climate change, I think, has some serious merit. I swear it's not as cold in winter anymore than what we used to get. Seems to me they used to turn the thermostat down to -40 on New Years Eve and just leave it there for about 6 weeks. I haven't worn my old down-filled parka for years. Now we seem to get a lot more wind year 'round, but the severe cold is only sporadic, and we get lots of snow - I call that North-western Ontario's free winter fitness program. I have an old John Deere snow blower, but I prefer to shovel it by hand, figure it's good exercise for this 72 year old body. (So bring on the Colorado Lows - I can handle it :-) and at least when it snows, it's a little milder temperature). We don't seem to get the extended days of hot weather in summer anymore either, one day of sun, two of cloud and rain (I swear you can hear the damned grass growing). My rain gear is always on the bike in a small barrel bag.

If we did happen to get a warm day, I probably wouldn't take the bike out anyway. They've had the salt and sand out already, and I wouldn't have anywhere to wash it off afterwards. Do they use that crap out your way? That new liquid crap they're using is really nasty stuff. I had to travel a few miles on a gravel road that had just been "treated" this summer. The front exhaust pipe was absolutely coated with baked-on white crystals that didn't want to just rinse off. And the sand on the streets in the spring is another hazard; you don't want to lean too hard when navigating the intersections. Laid one down once...lesson learned.

But it's home.

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Cusstout 1100 wrote: ... I have an old John Deere snow blower, but I prefer to shovel it by hand, figure it's good exercise for this 72 year old body. (So bring on the Colorado Lows - I can handle it :-) and at least when it snows, it's a little milder temperature). ...
And the sand on the streets in the spring is another hazard; you don't want to lean too hard when navigating the intersections. Laid one down once...lesson learned.

But it's home.

just be mindful (and considerate) to yer 72 YO heart. don't want to blow-a-gasket or drop-a-rod at this late date.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Hey Mark, the ol' pump is good to go after a quad bypass about 5 years ago. Post op the surgeon said "you've missed the big one, now go on and have a long and happy life." So I'm trying to do just that! :-). Captain Morgan is still a good friend of mine, but I'm a lot more selective in what I eat.

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:35 am

mark75 wrote:just be mindful (and considerate) to yer 72 YO heart. don't want to blow-a-gasket or drop-a-rod at this late date.

Good one!! :lol:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Park Bench Chat