VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV920 Build in the 2020 People's Champ Show

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV920 Build in the 2020 People's Champ Show

PostAuthor: benpineapple » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.16.26 AM.png

Hello! I've been following this build on Instagram, thought it would be appreciated here. I'm not the builder, or affiliated with the builder. Just wanted to share their work. This 1981 XV820 chain drive is being built by People's Champ builder Steven Bate (@dixiana_co https://www.instagram.com/dixiana_co/ ). Pretty rad build they've got! The "oil bag" on the bike is actually the fuel tank, which feeds the upper tanks with a fuel pump, so there's no fuel caps on the upper tanks. Homie also built the entire frame and springer fork from scratch. The build just got voted into the final 6 builders.

I'm mainly sharing this because it's a huge deal to have a metric bike in this show, and a Virago at that! The bike show has traditionally always been harley builds, usually a knuckle or panhead haha. Evos and other newer type builds never get much attention in the show. It's super cool people are into this guy's Virago build! I saw another renowned bike builder who basically said I never thought I would like a motor as ugly as a Virago.

Hardtail choppers aren't my cup of tea, but I am very impressed with this build. Stoked to follow along and see how it goes. What are your thoughts? Anyone else ever headed out to Cook's Corner for this show?

*edit: Thanks for moving the post Jake. Wasn't 100% sure where to post this build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jake on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved to Motorcycle News/Events/Calendar from XV920, Shadow copy in Choppers, Customs, Cafe’
1982 XV750
benpineapple
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: XV920 Build in the 2020 People's Champ Show

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Cool build, thanks for sharing. Any photos of the motor? My curious about the case cover with the glass cover.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: benpineapple » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Hellgate wrote:Cool build, thanks for sharing. Any photos of the motor? My curious about the case cover with the glass cover.

The link in the post to his Instagram page shows more pictures of the build. It's in-progress and hasn't been painted yet, so I'm not sure what his plans are with the motor covers. Would be sick if he did a glass cover on the case.
1982 XV750
benpineapple
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Thanks benpineapple,
Cook's Corner is in my back yard, but I haven't heard of the People's Champ event before. Searching the internet isn't very helpful either. The event planners and participants must be a pretty close-knit group. From what I gathered, it took place last week.

PS - I see the Born Free motorcycle show is in June, 2020 in the same neighborhood. I put it on my calendar.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: benpineapple » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:36 pm

chrismalm wrote:Thanks benpineapple,
Cook's Corner is in my back yard, but I haven't heard of the People's Champ event before. Searching the internet isn't very helpful either. The event planners and participants must be a pretty close-knit group. From what I gathered, it took place last week.

PS - I see the Born Free motorcycle show is in June, 2020 in the same neighborhood. I put it on my calendar.

Yo! I wasn't very clear about the event/didn't mention the event, my bad! So, People's Champ is the building contest, Born Free is the event itself. My bad! Born Free in June is the event when the final 6 builders show off their bikes for the contest.

Born Free has been around for a while, you're right, alot of face-to-face word of mouth organizing for the event. It's also mostly popular with the harley crowd I think. Biltwell took over managing the build contest last year, so it's been picking up lots of steam with their exposure I think. But it's a huge event! Kind of dumb how big a thing it is, but super cool how many different builders and bikes alike show up to it. I hadn't heard of it until one of my buddies had a bike entered in the build contest a few years back. He didn't win, but had a blast building a bike from ground up in under a year.
1982 XV750
benpineapple
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:21 pm

benpineapple wrote:*edit: Thanks for moving the post Jake. Wasn't 100% sure where to post this build.

You removed my reason for edit, it was put there for a reason. I re-inserted it and locked the post.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle News / Events / Calendar