VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Starter fix Parts Wanted

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Starter fix Parts Wanted

PostAuthor: santrim » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Hello fellow riders!
I have a 1982 xv920 in pieces in my garage. I would like to do the starter fix for the bike before reassembly.

Happy to see what you have for the 84-85 1000 left side or the 86-87- 1100 left side. Need complete kit, cover, starter, etc....

I'm in Sioux Falls, SD.

Thank you!!!! Steve

santrim
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV920
Sex: Male

Re: Starter fix Parts Wanted

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm

FYI.....
Well.. I normally wouldn't respond to a Want Ad and maybe misunderstanding your intentions, cuz not entire sure exactly what you want to do. A starter ""rebuild"" or ""conversion"".... (Gen I) to (Gen II) starter set up. Meaning, Gen II set up has the solenoid/Bendix to fling the idler gear. There really "not" a kit for either job. More of gathering all the parts needed to do the conversion, if that's what you meant.
Far as a starter "rebuild kit". There various ways to do this to. You can get a shim kit. Or use the set screw method.. or even weld the starter rings together. Which, welding the gears will eventually lead to the starter's case to break. You may wanna pin down exactly whatcha want to do. You can rebuild the starter anyway you like, but IMO..that's still just temporary. You'd be better off with a new (Gen I/aka: short shaft), 4 brush starter and maybe a new idler gear. Or start scourging for the conversion parts. (Not easy to find.)

Needed for the conversion:
starter conversion - Copy (2).PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Flyingdog wrote:FYI.....
Well.. I normally wouldn't respond to a Want Ad and maybe misunderstanding your intentions, cuz not entire sure exactly what you want to do. A starter ""rebuild"" or ""conversion"".... (Gen I) to (Gen II) starter set up. Meaning, Gen II set up has the solenoid/Bendix to fling the idler gear. There really "not" a kit for either job. More of gathering all the parts needed to do the conversion, if that's what you meant.
Far as a starter "rebuild kit". There various ways to do this to. You can get a shim kit. Or use the set screw method.. or even weld the starter rings together. Which, welding the gears will eventually lead to the starter's case to break. You may wanna pin down exactly whatcha want to do. You can rebuild the starter anyway you like, but IMO..that's still just temporary. You'd be better off with a new (Gen I/aka: short shaft), 4 brush starter and maybe a new idler gear. Or start scourging for the conversion parts. (Not easy to find.)

The optional way to do it ( what I suspect the OP wants ) is the complete side case, starter assembly, solenoid, etc from a 2nd Gen bike. The caveat is the flywheel will need spacers made to have the pickups aligned with flywheel.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Yea..pretty much thought the same..why I posted the pic to show the involvement. Far from an "off-the-shelf" endeavor.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Flyingdog wrote:Yea..pretty much thought the same..why I posted the pic to show the involvement. Far from an "off-the-shelf" endeavor.

I should have said if not an ‘85 XV1000, then the complete left side from ‘86 and up 750/1100.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Well lookie what I found...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174157853532

I may buy just to have spares.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 am

Hellgate wrote:Well lookie what I found...

Good find...Might not be a bad price..considering if all the stator/pickup stuff is in decent shape. Even though, not sure how the dates 81'-83' play into this. No biggie. First time I've heard of the 10/3 (stamp) reference. Wonder if that has something to do with the molded shaft supports? Might be good to know for santrim's inquires.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 am

Hellgate wrote:Well lookie what I found.

I copied this over to “Virago CraigsList Ebay kijiji.... OffSite Finds”.

No one has bought it yet, and placing it there may help others that are looking for it.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks..I knew this wasn't the place for any converse'n, keep over-looking other areas.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: santrim » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 am

This is my intention..... well, it was.

I'm 500 into the bike. Cant justify 350 plus for the starter upgrade. May be back to the drawing board. Thank you for the insights.

santrim
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:03 pm

santrim wrote:

This is my intention..... well, it was.

I'm 500 into the bike. Cant justify 350 plus for the starter upgrade. May be back to the drawing board. Thank you for the insights.
Consider the a 4 four brush starter will cost about $100. For $250 more you a significant upgrade vs throwing time and money at a poorly designed system. Trust me, I tried every known "fix" before I upgraded my bike. But, your call.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 pm

santrim wrote:Cant justify 350 plus for the starter upgrade. May be back to the drawing board. Thank you for the insights.

Maybe you should look at it from a different angle. Buy and you can get your money back by reselling later.

Even better, if you have PayPal you can buy it now, and take a year to pay for it @ $30 a month.

If you have decided you don’t want to do the conversion, tell me so I can delete this thread.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:15 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174157853532

I may buy just to have spares.

Someone bought it.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 am

Flyingdog wrote:

Good find...Might not be a bad price..considering if all the stator/pickup stuff is in decent shape. Even though, not sure how the dates 81'-83' play into this. No biggie. First time I've heard of the 10/3 (stamp) reference. Wonder if that has something to do with the molded shaft supports? Might be good to know for santrim's inquires.

The stamp, as I understand it, only applies to the 700/750. The case must be molded with the hole for the "drive lever". Only some of the 750's had this. All 920's were made with the drive lever hole.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement