VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Wanting to Purchase a wiring harness

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Wanting to Purchase a wiring harness

PostAuthor: Tank126 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Ok.

I've been around every now and again on this forum and I do absolutely love the information provided here.
But there is a time when I must admit my own shortcomings and throw in the towel -

I've been trying to clean up the wiring and get to a bare bones harness but its just become a mess..

Wanted to know if anyone could make one for me or point me in the direction of an OEM replacement that I can clean up to have less sensors and crap. Biggest issue was I was working with something someone already messed with a bit.

Its for a 83 920.

All I want to run on it is a bare essentials + speedometer/tach.

Thanks in advanceeeeeeee
Last edited by Jake on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to Items Wanted

Tank126
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago XV920
Sex: Male

Re: Purchasing a wiring harness

PostAuthor: Arjay » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 am

Heres a vid might help
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlsBGrOMJQc

I'll take a stab at it. Just absolute basics.

First get the outputs of the motor established.

Stator wires. 3 white wires. The output of the stator is ac. It is more specifically 3 phase ac. Three phase is simple to understand. A circle has 360 degrees. Divide in 3 sections you get 120 degrees for each. So each white wire has an ac voltage with 120 degree signwave. So a voltage differential exist between each wire.

but none of that matters really because the rectifier converts all 3 into one dc voltage that is high enough to charge a 12 volt battery. Usually 14+ volts about.

Next is the regulator. Its job is to keep the battery from over charging and exploding.

The regulator is invisible component built into the rectifier. This is why you see R/R which stands for regulator rectifier.

So now you understand the 3 white wires of stator that connect to the rectifier and the red wire that charges the battery.

Next basic wires that accompany the stator side is the pickups.

Virago uses 2 pickups or 1990 and later models 1. Each pickup uses 2 wires.
The pickups themselves are actually reluctors. A reluctor styled pickup has a stationary magnet with wire coiled around it. A voltage fluctuation is caused by a small iron strip attached to flywheel that skims close by signaling the flywheel position and also helping determine the engine speed and how the tci should adjust ignition timing.

So now you understand the two or 4 pickup wires.

2 unnecessary item are neutral light and sidestand switch.

The safety system is mainly about the sidestand(kickstand). But also includes the clutch switch.

The safety system only allows the engine to run when current flows through it. This is done by providing ground. If ground disappears then engine cuts off.

When the kickstand is up its switch is closed providing the security ground.
When the bike is in neutral it provides a ground.
When the clutch is pulled in it provides a ground.

This all relates to the kickstand.

Next is the starter. It is basically 3 components on the Virago, the starter motor, the solenoid, the relay.The largest thick wire on the bike goes from the battery positive to the starter solenoid. A short jumper (small section of wire) that is thick too goes fro solenoid other terminal to the starter motor connection. The 3rd small wire is the starter button wire.

The starter relay really controls the lights. The objective is that the lights are turned off momentarily while the starter motor is engaging. This helps to provide optimal current for starting. The relay may no be necessary.

The main fuse goes between the rectifier nd the battery.

The key ignition switch needs to control voltage supply to the coils and lights. The kill switch goes between the key ignition switch and coils power supply. Just after key.
The lights parallel/joint after kill switch with the ignition poer supply.

The lighting circuit powers the turn signal box. Think in terms of one turn signal flasher doing both sides, one or other.

The speedometer has a reed switch that cuts off power to the turn signal, When the front tire rolls a certain distance the reed switch cuts power to the flasher, so it should be wired between power and flasher.

The tachometer gets its signal from a coil. Not both just one.

Next essential is the tci (transistor controlled ignition. Ignition is genera term for spark.

The tci operates the coils by robbing them of ground to induce a spark. So both coils have power on one terminal and a controlled ground on the other.

The wiring to the tci is specific to each model and some variation in years. You can find some info on tci wiring by position on ignitech website.

One thing to keep in mind on these Viragos is the switching is mostlly done by negative control. Meaning the circuit is closed by providing ground. This takes advantage of using the frame as a conductor. So a circuit can be complete using only one wire.

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:19 am

Yikes..someone needs to practice wrap'n/soldering connections. Not sure why the vid of of an unrelated (xj750/four cylinder)

Tank:
Do a search (VTF) for TRVs' bare-bones wiring (920). There's several bout removing that Cycom (if needed) and getting down to the essentials.

Edit: Oh dear.....Just noticed this was moved to "items wanted"...And...you went thru all this couple yrs ago.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:25 am

Yep, he is looking to buy, not looking for a "how to", so every suggestion will be deleted 30 days after the last post.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:14 am

Here is an ‘83 920 harness for $29.99, they don’t state the shipping cost, so you would have to contact them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-83-Yamaha ... SwgrxdgBG2

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Tank126 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:31 pm

Yea I took a stab at the barebones thing by myself before and made some progress but all in all failed to complete it. Lack of motivation and understand.

I've thought about starting again but now I just don't have the space.

I'd like to be able to do it myself just to say I did and prove I'm able to myself but it's just not in the cards.

Purchasing one is my best bet at this point to just get it plugged in and running.

Tank126
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Virago XV920

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:59 am

The last post was deleted.

Threads in the Classifieds WILL NOT be threadjacked and/or turned into discussions !

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Arjay » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:27 am

when viewing "new post" the category isnt predominant, alongside any rules over non conversation etiquette. But I will try to pre-post understand.

As to threadjacking, my thought was just to magnify, not sidetrack. My apologies.

Arjay
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:14 am

Arjay wrote:when viewing "new post" the category isnt predominant

That is true, however, one must look at more than just the body of the text. If you are observant, you will notice that I move many topics from one place to another, because I observe where they are posted. Also, if you go back to the 1st post, you will see my “Reason for editing this post:” as moved to Items Wanted, it was originally posted in Electronics. That was done on October 22nd at 8:02 PM, you did not post until October 23rd at 1:31 AM.

As previously stated from the OP’s 1st post he is looking to buy, and he stated so again later.

To prevent further misunderstanding, I edited the Topic to say “Wanting to Purchase a Wiring Harness”.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

Re: Wanting to Purchase a wiring harness

PostAuthor: chrismalm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 pm

I think a custom wiring harness is going to have to be a DIY item. Not many people would be willing to take the time or responsibility to build one for you without considerable and probably cost prohibitive compensation.

If my assumption is correct and you would reconsider DIY, I can offer you a butched up 1st gen XV750 harness and a mass of wire & connectors to repair the harness. You can have them for free if you pay postage. It would fit in a Priority Flat Rate Medium box which I think is around $14. If you want to eliminate the Cycom, fuel & battery sensors, I think the 750 harness would be the better way to go. It would need cleaning, repair & re-wrapping.

FYI - You may require some other XV750 items, like a fuse box, analog guages, round headlight & brackets, etc. Ideally you could find a donor bike in your area for those items. In order to use the round headlight from an XV750, you would need to eliminate the brake line coupling. There are dual stainless brake line kits available or you could have one made up. I converted a 920 to 750 running gear a long time ago so I am probably forgetting something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Malm
chrismalm
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XZ550H
1982 XZ550H (project)
1982 XV750 (project)
1982 XV920 (project)

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Pretty good offer!
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:31 pm

have you considered rolling yer own harness? or refurbishing your old one?

here's some threads that may give some insight---
>>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=58106

rebuilding >>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=29436

bare bones for 1100 >>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=43018
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago - items Wanted