Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XVS250 Dragstar exhaust upgrade (with pics)

Drag Star, V Star, Virago Star, Wild Star, Road Star,
Royal Star & Venture Star Motorcycles
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

XVS250 Dragstar exhaust upgrade (with pics)

PostAuthor: VStar_proxy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi all,
Joined the forums a few months back, as a result of purchasing an XVS250 for the Mrs to learn to ride on (hence the username...I'm ostensibly here on her behalf).
Anyway, I purchased this little thing off ebay, for quite reasonable money. It has 15,000-odd kms on it from new, and has been stored for a number of years (hence the low kms). Maintenance wise, it needs fork seals (bought but not yet fitted), new tyres (originals were starting to show age crack in sidewalls), and a general tidy up. Once cleaned and polished, it came up as one would expect a bike with 15000kms on the clock to.

This is the bike as it was when we purchased it...

...and this is as it was with new tyres and a general clean-up.

Of course, what it really needed was some decent pipes, as the originals sounded like a sewing machine. I wanted it louder as my wife is going to be the primary rider of the 'bike, and as a novice rider, she needs every advantage she can get. If car drivers can't see her initially, they will at least hear her, so will at least look around for the source of the sound...(Or so the theory goes).

As you'll know, there are precious few after-market exhaust options for these bikes, so I got in touch with the guy on here who fabricates batch runs, but the price, (esp. the freight to Oz), scared me off.

I then perused the "Webike Japan" web-site, and reviewed their range of exhausts to suit XVS250s (they list a few), and decided on these ones http://japan.webike.net/products/21400976.html, as they were the cheapest, and that suited me as I'm "fettling" the bike on a budget. I took the chance and ordered them.

They rocked up yesterday, and I thought I'd have a bit a of a look to "see" if they might fit. I had visions of snapping exhaust bolts etc, so initially was just going to get an idea of whether they would fit or not, and leave it to a mechanic to actually fit them. However, one thing led to another, and I found that I was able to (fairly easily) remove the old system. The new system was a simple, direct bolt on. The entire process (from takng the new pipes to the garage, through to test starting the bike with the new exhausts on) took less than an hour.

This is what the bike looks like with the new pipes:

Things I'd still like to do include replacing the nuts on the front pipe with the supplied new ones (this was just a test fit, after all), and to replace the two "locating bracket" nuts toward the rear of the bike with black ones, which will blend in with the surrounding dark paintwork a bit better.

So, how's it sound? In a few words, "chalk and cheese" compared to stock. Personally, I think they're a "smidge" too loud, and that's with the baffles in! The bike genuinely sounds like a "mini-Harley" now. A mate who came over to take a look/listen said that it "sounds far better than any 250 has a right to". I'll post the thread, and see if I can take/link a video of the bike running, later.

The pipes cost me around $370 shipped from Japan to Australia.

All-in-all a good mod for not too much money.
VStar_proxy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2001 V-Star 250 (hers)
1998 VFR800FIW (his)
Sex: Male

Re: XVS250 Dragstar exhaust upgrade (with pics)

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 am

Now they look pretty darn good ! Double walled too from what I can see.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: VStar_proxy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 am

Now they look pretty darn good ! Double walled too from what I can see.

Not quite, only single-walled (perhaps why they are as cheap as they are). That said, S/S construction (which, in a no-salt atmosphere such as ours means they should last a while), and the sound they make kind of makes up for it. Good thing is at least there are some viable after-market pipe options for the little XVS' that work, and aren't too cost prohibitive for us "down here".
VStar_proxy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2001 V-Star 250 (hers)
1998 VFR800FIW (his)

PostAuthor: fevitz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:36 am

Very nice indeed ,,,, Im going to look at a set as well as i have the same bike . Mine are currently drilled out and loud , but i really like the look of yours , not to mention the price . You did well !
rick
[img]DSCF2886.JPG[/img]yamaha 2008 XVS250

fevitz
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 2008 XVS 250 yamaha ,
previous bikes from most recent ;
125cc sachs madarse ,
ct110 honda postie ,
1100 virago 1986 ,
kawasaki z1000 1982,
harley davidson 1992 heritage softail ,
harley davidson 1982 fxs shovel head ,
yamaha xv750cc 1982

PostAuthor: jeep45238 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 am

Does this still have a dummy pipe for the rear cylinder, or is that the real deal pipe right there? Sort of hard to tell on my computer. Thanks for the links on the exhaust!

jeep45238
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2009 V Star 250

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 am

jeep45238 wrote:Does this still have a dummy pipe for the rear cylinder, or is that the real deal pipe right there? Sort of hard to tell on my computer.

If you click or tap on the photos, you’ll be taken to photobucket, so you can see full size images.

To answer your question, it is NOT a fake rear pipe.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Star Help