Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

'87 XV1100

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Wisconsin - Madison

PostAuthor: colbey » Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 pm

Not quite sure why I'm posting. Maybe someone can recommend a mechanic or someone to help? I've got a bike in near-mint condition, except that it won't start. You know, just that minor thing. I had the carbs cleaned, and the whole fuel line, then i put it in storage for the winter. It's stored in the basement garage of my building, so it doesn't get all that cold down there even. But it won't start. Granted, I couldn't top it off with premium gas just before putting it up (the one place i know that sells it was closed), but I did put some Stabil in it.

Anyway, now they're going to be power-washing the garage and we're to move everything out for a day. I've got 2 calls in to 2 places i found looking at the YP online, but it's a holiday weekend, so haven't heard back. The guy who worked on it before is down in Beloit, and I don't know that he'd come up to Madison to tow it or...whatever.

There's no way I can push it up and out of the basement garage on my own. I don't know enough people around Madison/Monona to ask anyone for help. Is there anyone here that recommends a place? I left messages at Suter's and at Budget Overhead (Mac).

I think I'm going to sell the bike anyway, and was going to get it ready for that (you know, make sure it starts, lol), but this came up sooner than I was expecting. I really, really hate the idea of selling it, but...health issues, I guess it's time. Makes me so sad when I read about others out riding, and I remember how sweet that bike is. Anyway, just wondering what anyone might suggest in the Madison area.

Thanks, all!

Edit: hmm...i thought i was in the Midwest forum area when i selected "new topic," but it ended up here. sorry about that.
1987 xv1100 Virago
Wisconsin

colbey
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 xv1100 Virago
Sex: Female

Re: Wisconsin - Madison

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Howdy! Welcome to VTF.

XV carbs can be very fickle, and finicky.
1st make sure the battery is good and fully charged.

how long was she sleeping? just over-winter? or years?
we have brother members in Wisconsin, maybe they can give you a hand or at least suggestions.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan: BUT --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

Re: Wisconsin - Madison

PostAuthor: colbey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Mark75!
So sorry I missed your reply. I know I checked a few times, but it never appeared on my end. Weird, but I seem to get a fair share of 'weird' electronic things.
Anyway...it was stored over the winter, so...about 5 months. Before that, it sat (in a different garage) for several years. That's when I had the guy come and haul it to his shop and he pulled and cleaned the carbs. At that time, it had good gas in it, and I'd run it to get the Stabil thru the system, but it simply sat for too long.

This time I'm almost positive it was 1) bad gas (or, at least, gas w/ethanol), and 2) I forgot to run the engine to get the Stabil thru the system. The battery was okay when I first tried to start it, but when I tried another day, it was dead. I assume it will be fine with a trickle charge, (although one person has told me I need a new battery because this one is about 4 years old).

I've read how to drain the gas, pull the tank, and pull & clean the carbs. It sounds time-intensive, but not overly difficult. Actually, I'm fascinated and would love to try it...but I no longer have the tools or the space. (We're not allowed to work on our vehicles here.) I could even try draining the gas, new gas, and something like Seafoam. That might be all it needs.
The guy who worked on it before was willing to haul it from Madison and clean the carbs again. But then he called and said his truck had broken down and he wasn't even sure who to get to fix it. I gave him the name and number of my "Ford" guy, but never heard anything again. I've been unable to find anyone in the Madison area who will/can haul the bike to the mechanic in Beloit, or come here and work on it. (I think if we worked fast enough, and made sure not to make a mess, we'd get away with it once.) One shop will haul it--for about $70--but only to their shop. Which I understand.

I DID get it out of the basement garage. I found a couple guys outside and got them to help me push it out. Now it sits in the parking lot with it's cover on--fastened tightly with a couple bungee cords. I HATE having it sit outside all the time, but I think it's generally okay.

So...maybe I'll sell it as is. Honestly, it shouldn't take much to get it going. I've got a lead of a guy who saw a picture and is very interested. Says he'll put it in his garage and "fix it" over the winter. He wants it for his wife, who's 'short' like me. Sounds like a good fit--someone that'll love it.
I know I've looked up the NADA value. $2995 for "excellent condition."
I have a few extras to go with it, but with it not even starting, I'm really unsure what's a reasonable price to ask. Any thoughts from anyone?

Anyway, THANKS SO MUCH for your response, and I really didn't see it until tonight, when I came back here again to see if I could look at other "sale" posts for pricing ideas.

EDIT: Now I see--my 1st post got popped into this forum, and I was looking for it elsewhere (didn't see the link for MY previous posts before). Well, that's why I missed your response. I guess I need to copy some of this into a different forum area. Hope that will be okay per forum rules.
1987 xv1100 Virago
Wisconsin

colbey
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

'87 XV1100

PostAuthor: colbey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Okay, I first posted here in May but didn't realize 1st posts automatically went in the "intro" area. I just found it again, but realize if I want more possible advice, I need to move it (here, I think).

So, I've got an '87 XV1100 in near-mint condition. The problem is it wouldn't start in the spring. It was stored about 5 months in an underground basement garage, but I couldn't get ethanol-free gas the night I put it up, and I also forgot to run the engine for awhile to get the Stabil thru the system. The battery is dead, too, but I assume it just needs a good trickle charge.

My immediate problem (in May) was that they were going to powerwash the garage and everything needed to be moved out. I ended up paying a couple guys walking their dogs to help me push it out, and now it's sitting in the parking lot, covered, but still not running.
I still can't find anyone to work on it, except for one local shop who will haul it to their place and work on it. (They won't haul it to my previous mechanic.) I guess they'd probably be okay, but I don't think older bikes are their…area.

I've finally decided I have to sell it. I was nearly there in the spring, but wanted it running first. A neighbor just told me a guy he knows is very interested. He knows it's not currently running, and says he'll just work on it over the winter, if need be, in his garage. He wants it for his wife, who's kinda 'short' (like me) so maybe this would be a good thing—someone new to love this bike since health issues have made it impossible for me to ride it.

I came out here to see if I might get thoughts on pricing. I've looked up the NADA value--$2995 for "excellent condition." There's a few extras to go with it, but with it not even starting…what does anything think?
1987 xv1100 Virago
Wisconsin

colbey
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: '87 XV1100

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am

colbey wrote:Okay, I first posted here in May but didn't realize 1st posts automatically went in the "intro" area. I just found it again, but realize if I want more possible advice, I need to move it (here, I think).

Wow, too much stuff to address, but let me start by telling you 1st posts DO NOT automatically go to New Member Introductions. You posted there, it wasn't moved ( I checked the logs ) and anything with as much detail and the asking of help it would have been moved to some other area by me, had I seen the original post.

Since both threads contain the same information, I decided to merge both together and I will move the merged topics to XV1100, since you are only asking for information about the selling price. Once you decide on a price, then start an ad in Items 4 Sale.

I've sent you an email informing you of the merged and move.
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: '87 XV1100

PostAuthor: colbey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am

okay. Thank you.
I've been on other forums, so think I generally know how they work, but this one is confusing me. I know I was in the "Midwest" section area, because after reading some of the posts there, I thought it would be a good place to ask if anyone knew a mechanic in my town. I clicked the "start new thread" from that page, but it ended up in "introductions." While posting an introduction would have been a nice thing to do, I was kinda more absorbed with trying to find a local mechanic. But, whatever.
Thanks for moving the post. I know they contained the same info, but didn't know what to do other than repost in a different area.
1987 xv1100 Virago
Wisconsin

colbey
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100