Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Ever had your ride stolen?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Ever had your ride stolen?

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 am

In a recent posting (Bike floor anchor) I showed how I have secured my dirtbike with a floor-mounted anchor. I did this because the last dirtbike I had was stolen.
I had never had anything of value stolen from me before so I took it pretty hard. The cops weren't too much help, although I know the local guys keep an eye out for stolen quads and bikes. I put up flyers and went to all the local bike shops to let them know and I even hung around all the local places where people ride. That's where I got a name and put the word out that I was looking for him. I was told he ran the thing on straight gas (it was a 2-stroke) and blew it up and sold it for $300. But then I was told he "moved out west" for a while (BS, he was laying low locally) and I'm sure it was because he knows I was looking for him. He was a known thief and local dirtbag and if I ever catch him alone things could get ugly.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had a bike stolen and what they did about it and what happened.
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Ever had your ride stolen?

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:16 am

Actually, if you look at my avatar, that's a pretty good portrait of what I looked like the minutes after I discovered my bike was gone.
But I'm feeling mmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better now.
:pissed: :blast:
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: hobbitstar » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:01 am

when the local egits stole my Golf Gti we found it luckily in a garage just down the roa from were i live (trackers are awesome) and as we knew who it was and the local police also knew him it was not long before he was caught thankfully by the police and not me and my friends as bats and heads and fingers dont mix ;)
not riding fast just flying low
ImageImage
hobbitstar
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: SeaComms » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:23 am

Ok, so this could lead into another area of discussion - prevention rather than revenge.

Any one got any other good tips on bike security? Having been out of the bike scene for 18 or so years I am not up to date on what is out there and would rather stop it being nicked than get in trouble for the revenge I will seek :)

At this point I only have the stock steering lock and I always use it, even if I am only metres away from the bike. I have been looking at disc padlocks, but havent bought one yet.
Help us to help you - PLEASE PUT YOUR BIKE DETAILS IN YOUR SIGNATURE AND TURN YOUR SIGNATURE ON!

Cheers, Dave.....
1984 XV750 (Japanese model imported in 2002) - Mustang Seat, modified 535 Windscreen, Modified Resonator, Willie n Max bag set, HID Headlamp, Highway pegs...

Advice given is just my opinion, is done so with the best of intentions
and based on previous experience or the ability to read a manual.
Please don't hold me responsible if you break something following my advice..
However I would be happy to take credit if it works ;)

SeaComms
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1984 XV750 Japanese import

PostAuthor: hobbitstar » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:34 am

my 535 has a home built alarm and immobizer with key rather than fob operation, i do not use disc locks or chains as i have a tendancy to forget they are there and try to ride off :) the vstar has alpha dot, datatool micro sensors and what was Datatool's top alarm 2yrs ago - multi point immobilizer and random changing fobs with manual override and anti lift sensing, 7ft security gates help:)
not riding fast just flying low
ImageImage
hobbitstar
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: pigpen78 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:56 am

I've got a disc lock on both my bikes along with the steering lock and aock that goes over the throttle and holds the front brake lever. There's a lo-jack type system also. If someone really wants your bike though, they'll get it pretty much no matter what.
pigpen78
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: SeaComms » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 am

True.. no matter what we do it will only stop the honest thieves... or at least those that cant find an easier target
Help us to help you - PLEASE PUT YOUR BIKE DETAILS IN YOUR SIGNATURE AND TURN YOUR SIGNATURE ON!

Cheers, Dave.....
1984 XV750 (Japanese model imported in 2002) - Mustang Seat, modified 535 Windscreen, Modified Resonator, Willie n Max bag set, HID Headlamp, Highway pegs...

Advice given is just my opinion, is done so with the best of intentions
and based on previous experience or the ability to read a manual.
Please don't hold me responsible if you break something following my advice..
However I would be happy to take credit if it works ;)

SeaComms
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1984 XV750 Japanese import

PostAuthor: usmc_dad_0341 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:05 am

Back in '78. My beloved Yamaha DT 250. Just outside a bar on Broadway in San Diego. I was partying with a group of fellow Marines, staggered out to my bike and it wasn't there. I thought it might have been a joke so I ignored it and went back in the bar to down a few more. The true realization hit after spending the night in the back of the bar and still not finding my bike the next morning. Had insurance and it paid me off MORE than I paid for the bike so... not a total loss!
1986, 1100 - P901 Intake, HSr40 Carb, HD Chrome controls, HD Buckhorns, pullbacks
usmc_dad_0341
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: foxtrapper » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Last time I had my ride stolen, it was by a Prince Georges county cop and his son. They had a little ring going.

foxtrapper
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: jgc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:38 pm

we were riding to a lake about 30 miles from home (back in the 70"s ) there was a lot of sand and on guy who rode a harley wouldnot ride his bike when we got home found that his bike was stolen and never found we were on yamaha 650 "s and one bsa with a springer fornt end man that was the coolest bike.
:spank: :burnout: 1982 xv 750 1986 1100 1989 flh electra glide

jgc
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: funkamongus » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:30 pm

I got pulled in front of.. had 2 choices, into oncoming traffic or off the hill (thought it was mountain till I came up to tahoe!) Big hill though, so, I made the right choice... off the hill I went. Bike tumbled quite a few times..PS GET AWAY FROM THE BIKE!.. Couldnt get it up the hill myself so (no cell phones in those days) I walked home (bout 30 mins) called a bud, he came by (bout another 30) we drove back to the scene and she was gone.. Drag marks up hill and all... Cops sucked, laughed even, and told me it was probably in parts by now.. No replacement insurance..was still paying on it, too.
Kawasaki kz 750 ltd. 836 big kit, bullet fairing, tunes, engine roll bar W/ highway pegs.. kerker 4 into 1 headers... Miss that bike... If I ever catch someone stealing something, Ill get downright unpleasant!
Scott Parsons
South Lake Tahoe

1982 Yamaha XV920J
1982 Maico Alpha 1 MC250
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ Vision
1972 BMW R75/5 W/Toaster tank, I babysit

Pictures -http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email-
Videos -http://www.youtube.com/funkamongus20-

for pics and vids from above..
copy between the "-" signs, and paste it in your browser..

If at first you dont succeed,, maybe skydiving isnt for you..
funkamongus
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:44 pm

i've got theft insurance and stay in rat mode...so far so good... knock on wood...if stories be told i had a friend who had a new sportster stolen which the insurance company replaced but for whatever reason he couldn't afford to insure it before someone grabbed it off too...long story short he bought a jawa because the kickstarter doubles as the gearshift..the last time i saw him he was leaving the key in the ignition and nobody stole it
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: Spindlehead » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:47 pm

grazingazer";p="118259 wrote:i've got theft insurance and stay in rat mode...so far so good... knock on wood...

My strategy too (minus the theft insurance). I don't even have a key switch anymore. A little careful inpspection and the wouldbe thief could easily find my toggle. I suppose next time I go on a multi-day ride I might bring a chain, though. It would be sad to get stranded in the desert.
Spindlehead
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:29 pm

you got that right i hitched across the mojave...arizona to cali no fun and not much shade [wickenberg to bakersfield]
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: funkamongus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:26 pm

damn grazer, you're hard core!!! Right on buddy!!
Scott Parsons
South Lake Tahoe

1982 Yamaha XV920J
1982 Maico Alpha 1 MC250
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ Vision
1972 BMW R75/5 W/Toaster tank, I babysit

Pictures -http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email-
Videos -http://www.youtube.com/funkamongus20-

for pics and vids from above..
copy between the "-" signs, and paste it in your browser..

If at first you dont succeed,, maybe skydiving isnt for you..
funkamongus
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mikel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Had my Yamy IT175 stolen (chain and all) from the parking garage where I lived at the time. Small town...I would hve seen it if it were still in town the next day. That was a great bike...sniff!
Ride safe,
Mike

86 XV750

"I was born at night but it wasn't last night"
mikel
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 750

PostAuthor: Spindlehead » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 am

Yikes, graz!
Spindlehead
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920

PostAuthor: yamahog » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:22 pm

yes, in portland before I found vt... didnt run worth a crap and the battery was dead. They took it right out of my driveway in the middle of the day. Thank god it didnt run very good, cops called me 2 weeks later and said they found it on a street corner in the ghetto. punched the ignition lock out, banged up the tank trying to get the fuel cap off. I blame this event for the eventual chopping.
1995 XV750 Yamahog :burnout:
yamahog
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 95 xv750
06 fz6

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to security devices and techniques