Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Bike floor anchor

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Bike floor anchor

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 pm

I have just mounted my new floor anchor for my bike. I gave some specs to a freind who works in a machine shop and after a while of sneaking in the work every now and then behind the boss's back he got it done for me.
It's mounted with concrete anchor bolts and is made of some really high end steel(P20 I think). The two separate pieces are each made from a single piece of steel so there are no welds to break. When the cover is in place the cable lock makes it impossible to lift the cover and it hides the bolts so that they can't just be turned out of the floor.
The dimentions aren't exactly what I would have wanted but it's still pretty darn good. After I took the pictures I brushed off the rust and painted it.
I often screw up and leave out details, so if you guys have any questions about it, you're welcome to ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Comm Man » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:12 pm

You and your friend should patent this REAL QUICK!
Comm Man
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Bike floor anchor

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Actually I stole the ideal from an anchor I saw a while ago, so it's an older idea. The thing is, that one would have cost over $100. This one only cost me a few beers at the bar. :beer:
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: okmamabear » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:51 pm

I love it when that is the only price I have to pay for something.

We gave a friend a truck that wasn't running because he needed some transportation and didn't have a lot of money. In exchange he does all the maintence on our bikes. It just happens that he is a yamaha mechanic. Gotta love that.
Hubby has given up, :swear:
'97 Virago 750
okmamabear
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: LineTech » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm not criticizing, but wouldn't bolt cutters be
faster and easier than trying to take the bolts
out of the floor? What type of steel is the
cable lock made from?
:lol:

'95 Virago XV535

Dude...wait, what?
LineTech
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:52 pm

The cable is about 5/8" thick braided steel. You'd spend a lot of time and energy trying to chop through it with bolt cutters. And when it comes to securing your bike from theives, every extra second counts. I would have prefered a cobra lock but they are VERY expensive.
I've had it for a long time but this is a link to a similar model from the same company.
MIZ Cable lock
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: LineTech » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 pm

You're right, that would be hard to bite
through. It doesn't look that thick in
your pics.
:lol:

'95 Virago XV535

Dude...wait, what?
LineTech
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Mopar » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Locks are only to keep honest people honest. Some of the most expensive locks are the easiest to defeat. Most barrel locks ya can open with a bic pen. Straight locks you use a bump key. Or just spray some freon in the lock and shatter it with a hammer.

• '96 XV1100
  • '83 XV920 (long term project)
Mopar
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV1100
1983 XV920

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks for the info. After some research I am really into this lock picking stuff. :grin:
Anyway, I messed around with my lock for a while and it looks like my barrel lock isn't the kind you can open with a pen. Freon is another story. However the dullards that live around here probably wouldn't be using that stuff (wishfull thinking).
At any rate, the bike that's just standing there with nothing to protect it would probably get taken before the one with a few zip ties holding it down. So i think I'll be just fine with my bike cable-locked to a chunk of steel which is anchored in a concrete floor inside a locked well lit steel building with no cover around it.
Oh yeah, and my shotgun helps, too. :naughty:
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm

time is your only real enemy. Give them a few hrs to work on it and......... with probably your own tools and......

need one of them driveway beam devices ya find in junk catalogs that can alert ya inside. but mount it up high and hidden so even if folks are in the garage at some other time, its not obvious.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:42 am

I was thinking of some sort of sensor inside the building. I have looked at everything from infrared cameras to magnetic switches on the door. I'm just too lazy to do anything about it. However, a cheap motion sensor rigged to sound an alarm inside would do the trick nicely. I'd have to bury the cable or make it wireless, unless I put in some sort of failsafe to make the alarm go off if the cable were cut. I'm going to work on this over the next couple days and put my electronics degree to work.
Hey Matthew, maybe we could start a sub-forum called "security devices and techniques". It would be a great way to share ways to keep our stuff safe.
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: SeaComms » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:11 am

LOL I just suggested similar on your other post about the having your ride stolen!!

Mine is currently sitting where it always does - in the garage with the key in the ignition.....

However.. no one in my neigbourhood has ever had anything stolen - anything at all... gotta luv that. It will happen one day I spose, but a bike in a locked garage would have to be a second to a car on the footpath one would hope... (my subaru has been kicked out of the garage as it is more waterprrof than the bike)
Help us to help you - PLEASE PUT YOUR BIKE DETAILS IN YOUR SIGNATURE AND TURN YOUR SIGNATURE ON!

Cheers, Dave.....
1984 XV750 (Japanese model imported in 2002) - Mustang Seat, modified 535 Windscreen, Modified Resonator, Willie n Max bag set, HID Headlamp, Highway pegs...

Advice given is just my opinion, is done so with the best of intentions
and based on previous experience or the ability to read a manual.
Please don't hold me responsible if you break something following my advice..
However I would be happy to take credit if it works ;)

SeaComms
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1984 XV750 Japanese import

PostAuthor: Matthew » Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 am

ttt
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Octania » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 pm

my cordless 4" cutoff tool would have that cable off in 20 seconds.

Get the "driveway alert" wirelesss motion detector if there's that much of a problem where you live. I had yutes rummaging the vehicles in the driveway. Painted the sender black and trained the dog that the sound means we go out to the vehicle for a treat. Got me a free cell phone one night at 3am. Got my change holder back. Had a good bit of fun with that cell phone
1981 XV750, aftermarket pipes
Central Michigan, Central USA
Here to find and provide help if possible
"The chrome and steel I ride colliding with the very air I breathe" -Neil Young (ish)
Octania
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV750 Virago, 13k miles, runs GREAT as of 10/2015
Central Lower Mchigan, Midwest, USA, Norte Amerika, 3rd Rock from Sol.

PostAuthor: Bloodshot » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:24 pm

This thread is about the floor anchor. The lock is inconsequential. Any cable can be cut eventually with the right equipment. This merely shows a method to make an anchor that can't simply be removed with a ratchet. Don't like the cable? Buy a better one.
Bloodshot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:41 pm

still one-bad-azz-anchor!

thieves are lazy, stupid mental-defectives so anything to throw them off their game is a good idea.
if they really want your goods they'll get 'em somehow, but if they really have to 'work-for-it' they may give up and move on to 'easier' pickings.

my :2cents:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to security devices and techniques