Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

idea for a homemade alarm system

• Advertisement

Post a reply

idea for a homemade alarm system

PostAuthor: cdjohnson88 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm

So I've had someone break into my car before near my neighborhood, and don't want anyone messing around with my bike at all.

Since I don't know how to solder or much at all about electronics, I decided to come up with the simplest "alarm" system I could. Figured I'd bounce it off of you all before spending the time in it, though I expect it to cost around $20 and be LOUD.

I only use the center stand if I'm working on the engine, so I planned this with the bike being at full lock when parked. I was thinking of running a 10 g wire from the positive terminal through a toggle switch located in a hidden location to the first of two pieces of thin metal that are being pressed together. From the second piece of metal the wire would continue to a $20 horn from Advance mounted where the TCI unit normally goes (mine's re-mounted for easy access) and grounded to the frame. which would be grounded to the frame. I'd super glue a piece of wire to just behind the "YAMAHA" emblem on the front of the forks, and have it end in a piece of plastic that slides between the metal pieces to prevent contact, Thus, when the forks were turned from full lock left to the right at all, contact would be made and the horn would go off until I came out to shut it off.

It's rarely parked in a place where I wouldn't hear it, or it wouldn't make enough noise that someone would try to come find me, or that I wouldn't be coming back soon anyways. It's not the most high-tech or hidden system, but it would at least cause whoever was moving my bike to get attention pointed their way and hopefully scare them off. The horn being stashed away would make it hard for the would-be thief to find and disconnect it. My wife and I are going to do some iron butting this summer and I don't want to be stranded 10 hrs from home.

Anything I should be concerned about with something like this? Any reason it just plain wouldn't work? Thanks. I'm also considering putting in a hidden engine cut off switch.
1986 Virago 700

Rattle can black
-:skull:-

cdjohnson88
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: 48vintage » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Sounds like it may work - do it and keep us posted!
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end” Ursula K. LeGuin

:olcoot: Alas . . . I'm a bikeless old coot

In order for others to assist you easier it is necessary for you to fill in your profile!
Please include your bike info in your signature - and be sure to turn your signature on!
48vintage
Mod
Mod

Re: idea for a homemade alarm system

PostAuthor: SeaComms » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Or you could just jump on to ebay and have a quick search, this was the first one that popped up for me, although its Australian delivery I am sure something else will be avaiable elsewhere.

Remote activated, 100 db siren, engine immobiliser, AU$13 delivered..
Help us to help you - PLEASE PUT YOUR BIKE DETAILS IN YOUR SIGNATURE AND TURN YOUR SIGNATURE ON!

Cheers, Dave.....
1984 XV750 (Japanese model imported in 2002) - Mustang Seat, modified 535 Windscreen, Modified Resonator, Willie n Max bag set, HID Headlamp, Highway pegs...

Advice given is just my opinion, is done so with the best of intentions
and based on previous experience or the ability to read a manual.
Please don't hold me responsible if you break something following my advice..
However I would be happy to take credit if it works ;)

SeaComms
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1984 XV750 Japanese import
Sex: Male

Re: idea for a homemade alarm system

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:26 pm

You can buy the same thing Seacomms posted on Ebay (US) for $10.38 total .

Ebay (US) Motorcycle Alarm

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Matthew » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:43 am

I wanted to make one with 2 mercury switches, with adjuster to set them lvl for where ever it was parked, so any movement would set it off.

like someone sitting on it, or knocking it over.

but not rain, or noise setting it off.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to security devices and techniques