Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Walmart AGM

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Walmart AGM

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:10 pm

After 4 years, I needed to replace my battery. I went back to Walmart, since I've had good luck with all that I've bought there and instead of a wet cell, I bought an AGM this time.

The 1st battery in the bike was one for a 750 and when I replaced it, I put in a bigger one for an 1100. viewtopic.php?f=140&t=22836

Walmart had an AGM that was a little smaller in size and a few more cranking amps for $76.88. Once we got to Walmart ( wife always has to go too ), I went straight to the automotive section to check it out, there were two boxes of the AGM I wanted, on the shelf.
It's a good thing I opened the box to inspect the contents before buying it. Some enterprising chap had taken out the AGM and electrolyte and replaced it with an ES14LA2, quite a bit smaller, wet cell, not as powerful and cost $44.88 !

The second box had the right goods in it.

It goes in and comes out a heck of a lot easier than the one I just replaced :bg:. Won't be needing to use a zip tie to get this one out. I did have to use a little Styrofoam to make it fit securely.

WP_20150317_005A.jpg

WP_20150317_003A.jpg

WP_20150317_001A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: Walmart AGM

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:14 pm

you might 'bookmark' it so you can update and tell how long it lasts - at some point in the future
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:41 pm

If I get 4 years out of it like the other two, I'll be happy. No need to bookmark it, I know where to find my posts.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:32 pm

and besides that WalMart will take back most stuff with out a whole lot of questions ..

I hear stories about WalMart thiefs all the time , My wife works for them
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Getting close to the 1st anniversary of this battery, and so far, so good. The last time the bike was started was early November and here it is February 20th.

Temps in the 60s, I thought it suitable to test the battery with a start and a ride, since the rain a few days ago had washed the salt off of the roads.

Turned the petcock on, full choke, three revolutions and she fired up.

No battery tender or charger was hooked up to the bike all winter and it resides in a unheated shed. Past batteries have started the bike after several months but with weaker cranking.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 am

Update.

I installed this battery in March 2015, so now 4 years old.

This battery is kept on the bike all year long in an unheated shed, without even being hooked up to a battery tender.

The gas tank was last filled in November 2018 ( 6 to 7 months old E10 ). I have moved the bike in and out of the shed several times this spring, to gain access to my table saw and miter saw and other stuff stored between the bike and the back end of the shed.

Just three days ago, I moved it out again for the same reasons, and each time, I apply choke, hit the starter button and without fail, she starts without more that two revolutions.

To say I’m happy with this battery is an understatement !

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:17 am

Jake wrote:Update.

This battery is kept on the bike all year long in an unheated shed, without even being hooked up to a battery tender.

The gas tank was last filled in November 2018 ( 6 to 7 months old E10 ). I have moved the bike in and out of the shed several times this spring, to gain access to my table saw and miter saw and other stuff stored between the bike and the back end of the shed.

Just three days ago, I moved it out again for the same reasons, and each time, I apply choke, hit the starter button and without fail, she starts without more that two revolutions.

Thats outstanding! My first battery like this lasted 5 years. I still have it for sentimental reasons lol. (Kidding, saving it for a core charge if I need an auto battery )
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 am

This is a really old post, IMO, AGM is the way to go. But rather than WalMart, I use Chrome Battery. These were sold at Walmart for a while, but no longer. They are considerably cheaper for the AGM Powersports battery.
http://www.chromebattery.com
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:41 am

bstig60 wrote:This is a really old post

Original post, yes. My update, not so old it was on June 15th this year.

Yes the battery still starts the same after 4 years and 7 months. No I haven’t checked the voltage, nor had it been on a charger.

Last year, I rode about 100 ( one hundred ) miles, the year before about five hundred. Certainly not all at once, several small ( less than 25 mile ) rides. Barely enough ride time to keep a regular lead acid charged, at least one two years old or older.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 pm

Hey Jake, glad to hear that's been a good battery. I bought one this year for my project; I was looking for the a smaller battery that would meet or excede OEM requirements. Price was away lower than a matching Interstate or Canadian Tire option. So I built a box for it (this is on the chopper I'm building....off and on for the past few years...) out of angle iron, and have the TCI mounted on the left side end, and an aftermarket fuse box on the right side end. I hinged the right side end so it can swing out of the way with the fuse box to allow install and removal of the battery. Because there's no top to the box, I use a light cargo-type strap to hold the battery down. The bike ('85 XV750) is hardtailed, and I fabricated custom side covers that conceal everything nicely (I think...)

IMG_3829.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: MNBiker89 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Can you please provide a part number or link to this battery?

MNBiker89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: MNBiker89 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Never mind I was able to find it. Did you have to modify your battery box to make it fit?

MNBiker89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 pm

MNBiker89 wrote:Did you have to modify your battery box to make it fit?

Yes, in a manner of speaking. I just filled the empty space with foam insulation board.

BTW, five years now and still starts great, even after sitting for a month without being run. Starts like it did when new, no float charger either.

I just noticed, you have a 1st Gen. the battery box is different.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: MNBiker89 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Jake wrote:
MNBiker89 wrote:Did you have to modify your battery box to make it fit?

Yes, in a manner of speaking. I just filled the empty space with foam insulation board.

BTW, five years now and still starts great, even after sitting for a month without being run. Starts like it did when new, no float charger either.

I just noticed, you have a 1st Gen. the battery box is different.

Im not sure the difference in battery boxes but i think when my battery is done for i will be switching to one of these agm batteries.

MNBiker89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 pm

Update.

This battery is 5 years and 7 months old now. It still starts the bike fine, however, I did check the voltage today and it is down to 11.96V.

Yes, I do have a battery maintainer, no I am not hooking it up. It cooked my old lead acid battery dry so I no longer trust it.

I dug out my solar charger and plugged it into the battery, it should be OK for the winter. I'll simply unplug it when I wanna ride and I'll check the voltage periodically.

Strangely enough, I bought the solar charger for the bike but didn't use it for that. I used it to keep some AGM batteries from an electric wheelchair charged that I used to provide lighting in my shed.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:11 pm

It’s been a week since I connected the solar charger. It is aimed south in a fixed position, on the side of my shed with a good sized maple tree shading the shed. We’ve had a mixture of cloudy days and some sun. The battery has gone from 11.96v to 12.07v

It is an amorphous type of solar panel, meaning it will work on cloudy days.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics