Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

How do I test my headlight?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

How do I test my headlight?

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Sorry guys, but have an issue I cant figure out on my own.

I have no headlight. No Blown fuses.

How do I test if the headlight is good? There are two blacks yellow and green. Can I run any of them direct to battery to test the light? )Hi-Lo-separate tests?)

Just some info. I can not start the bike. I am redoing the tank and there is no fuel source. Just need to test the wiring for the headlight . I do have an ohm meter but I don't know how to use it to test the wiring for the lights. Also I have not seen any indicator lights for hi or lo beam ever come on.

Lastly, how does the light work on the bike? (xv500).

Switch on, and there is a light? Does it have to be running to maintain a headlight. Just want to understand the mechanics of what and when the light is/should be on and working.

Sorry if its a stupid series of questions. (Please explain it like I'm ten years old)

Thank You.
My Ride is a 1983 XV 500 :usa:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 Yamaha Virago XV500
Sex: Male

Re: How do I test my headlight?

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 am

Wanna give yerself an aneurysm...go ahead and delve into this article--> http://www.viragotechforum.com/viewtopi ... 8&p=384225 ..may give ya alittle insight on the how/why these headlights work as they do, what with them working off the headlight relay/diode (?)/starter switch button ground etc. I'm assuming, also, the 500 wiring isn't any different than first Gen 750s. I'd have to look at the schematics (which I really don't wanna do :bg: ).
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

lol thanks flyingdog. Yeah I hear ya. I assume the schematics in relation to the headlight are pretty much the same. Ill give that link a look. I was hoping there was a way to test the circuit at the bulb plug end to see. I suspect it is in the left hand controls, but I have not tested any of it.
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 am

I've read that whole article before. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me figure out how to test my headlight. Ill try to match what is being said with a diagram, but I suck at that lol.
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 am

rchawaii wrote:
How do I test if the headlight is good? There are two blacks yellow and green. Can I run any of them direct to battery to test the light? )Hi-Lo-separate tests?)
Just need to test the wiring for the headlight . I do have an ohm meter but I don't know how to use it to test the wiring for the lights. Also I have not seen any indicator lights for hi or lo beam ever come on.
Thank You.

The yellow wire is the high beam and the green wire is the low beam. Blacks are ground.
First, check the bulb to make sure it is OK. https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... e16b6fb71a Check your headlight connector to be sure, the center pin is usually ground. Set your Multimeter to Ohms by 10 or the lowest scale. Put the black lead on the center pin and the red lead on each of the other pins on the bulb, you should see resistance if the bulb is good. On the connector, put one lead from the meter into the black connector and touch the other to the negative battery post. Your meter should read O.00 if the ground wiring is good. If it does not, you have an open ground. Check the headlight bucket for the connections as most of the ground wires are multipled in there. The headlight fuse provides power via red-yellow wire through the starter switch, then a blue-black wire to the dimmer switch. Check the continuity to these points. Most likely, the problem is either grounding or the dimmer switch contacts are corroded. Let us know what you find.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Man I appreciate that run down. Will go through it tonight when I get home. Thanks gentlemen for the help. :thanks:
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Was a long day today t work and catching up with some cnc sign work. Ill get back at this hopefully tomorrow.
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:54 pm

So ran through a couple of tests tonight.
on the plug for the headlight itself. Ground to one side reads 11.7 and on the other side reads 5.3

Ground on the plug to battery went to -1.

I had two headlight bulbs. One I noticed the main filament was broken so ditched that one The other one is fine.

So, down to this:

How do I "check continuity" as suggested above and should I just go ahead and take the left hand controls apart?

Thanks
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:30 pm

You could try squirting some electrical contact cleaner into the hi/lo switch on the left hand side. Work the switch a few times and see if it changes anything. My thought is that you might be getting good contact on one position but not on the other?
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:30 am

rchawaii wrote:So ran through a couple of tests tonight.
on the plug for the headlight itself. Ground to one side reads 11.7 and on the other side reads 5.3

Ground on the plug to battery went to -1.

I had two headlight bulbs. One I noticed the main filament was broken so ditched that one The other one is fine.

So, down to this:

How do I "check continuity" as suggested above and should I just go ahead and take the left hand controls apart?

Thanks

Bulb good, ground good. Try as Cusstout suggested. If that doesn't work, take the dimmer switch apart and clean the contacts. While you have it apart, check each wire to the plug for the headlight. With your meter set on Ohms by 1 or 10, lowest scale. You should read -1 on each wire. Colors indicated above. Possible bad dimmer switch. Put the dimmer switch back together and let us know what you find.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 pm

bstig60 wrote:Bulb good, ground good. Try as Cusstout suggested. If that doesn't work, take the dimmer switch apart and clean the contacts. While you have it apart, check each wire to the plug for the headlight. With your meter set on Ohms by 1 or 10, lowest scale. You should read -1 on each wire. Colors indicated above. Possible bad dimmer switch. Put the dimmer switch back together and let us know what you find.

I took this apart tonight. Cleaned it good. was a little sticky but not as bad as I thought it would be. All contacts look good, but I didn't want to take it all the way down to where the little ball bearings are internally. Seems ok. Have not tested it with the ohm meter yet per above suggestion, but will before it goes back together completely.

Lost the spring off of the choke lever, it jumped out in the building somewhere so Im sure that will be hours worth of searching.

EDIT: Does anyone now what that spring looks like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:39 am

rchawaii wrote:
bstig60 wrote:Bulb good, ground good. Try as Cusstout suggested. If that doesn't work, take the dimmer switch apart and clean the contacts. While you have it apart, check each wire to the plug for the headlight. With your meter set on Ohms by 1 or 10, lowest scale. You should read -1 on each wire. Colors indicated above. Possible bad dimmer switch. Put the dimmer switch back together and let us know what you find.

I took this apart tonight. Cleaned it good. was a little sticky but not as bad as I thought it would be. All contacts look good, but I didn't want to take it all the way down to where the little ball bearings are internally. Seems ok. Have not tested it with the ohm meter yet per above suggestion, but will before it goes back together completely.

Lost the spring off of the choke lever, it jumped out in the building somewhere so Im sure that will be hours worth of searching.

EDIT: Does anyone know what that spring looks like?

Use a magnet to locate the spring. Contacts can look clean and still have a film on them, use a small piece of 200+ grit sandpaper to scuff them up, gently! Then use some electronics cleaner to finish cleaning them. If memory serves, the spring is about an inch long and about the size of a spring that goes on a ballpoint pen.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 pm

The contacts are all internal. Have you taken these all the way down to the internal parts?
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 pm

bstig60 wrote:
rchawaii wrote:

Lost the spring off of the choke lever, it jumped out in the building somewhere so I'm sure that will be hours worth of searching.

EDIT: Does anyone know what that spring looks like?

Use a magnet to locate the spring. Contacts can look clean and still have a film on them, use a small piece of 200+ grit sandpaper to scuff them up, gently! Then use some electronics cleaner to finish cleaning them. If memory serves, the spring is about an inch long and about the size of a spring that goes on a ballpoint pen.

I was looking at the parts diagram for the choke lever and it looks like there was not a spring, but a washer on the choke lever assembly inside?

Lets see if this link works:

https://ea77029b4c67f377227e-af9c1546fb ... 10/1_2.png

They label it as : 12. .Washer 90209-10131-00
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:05 pm

It is kind of a washer/kind of a spring. It's a washer with 6 "fingers" that is concave (convex depending on how you view it...) and I think it's purpose is to provide resistance to the lever so it stays in open,closed, part way, etc position that you set it in. You can tighten the centre screw to provide more resistance or loosen it to provide less. I went out to the garage to take a couple pictures of the one I removed from my chopper project. This one shows the parts of the lever and housing, the second I tried to take a picture of that spring washer so you could see the amount of concave/convex in it - focus may not be the best, but it's damn cold out there today :-(

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

At the risk of being off-topic, here's what I replaced it with :-)

choke knob (480x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Hey! Thanks man That shouldn't be "too" hard to locate. Did you drill a hole in the penny and use it?
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Glad that helps,good luck in your search, it helps when you know what you're looking for. After having to dig through my garbage can several times that was located too close to my vice looking for little pieces that made their escape, I moved the can. Now all I have to do is lay down on the floor with a flash light to find out where they went. :-)

I made a little bracket that fit into the choke lever, you can just see it behind the penny; soldered the penny to that, then drilled a small hole through the bracket, threaded it, and put a screw through the choke lever and the bracket where the cable end goes to hold it in place. Works well, and of course the whole exercise is just in the interest of eliminating one more cable.

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Very cool and not a bad idea at all.

My building is a nightmare for finding anything. I moved a lot looking but really thought it was a spring that went flying lol. In my little shop (10x20) I also run a CNC machine for wood, a lathe, drill press table saw. Mitre saw, and do my reloading for by guns and I forget what else. I’ll find it I’m sure or I’ll make something work. Until it appears lol
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

If memory serves, the spring is about an inch long and about the size of a spring that goes on a ballpoint pen.
Sooo, memory doesn't serve. I stand corrected. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... itch-lever
Didn'[t see that before.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: rchawaii » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:00 pm

bstig60 wrote:If memory serves, the spring is about an inch long and about the size of a spring that goes on a ballpoint pen.
Sooo, memory doesn't serve. I stand corrected.
Didn't see that before.

Hey no harm no foul man. I Appreciate all of the assistance!
rchawaii
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics