Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Starting Problems (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Starting Problems (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: hedgie6 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:18 pm

My bike isn’t starting from the start button. I checked the battery voltage and it’s 13v. If i bump start, it doesn’t actually start, but i can then use the start button and it will start up. I’ve attached a video of the noise it makes when it won’t start. Are these the symptoms of a bad starter clutch or is there something else I need to look at?

Starting problem

hedgie6
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1991 XV535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Starting Problems

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

sadly your vid shows "404 error" (?) for me.
edit: it's working for me now

to me it sounds more like the starter-motor itself is lacking strength to spin engine -
there could be some s.clutch issues beginning, too ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... ter-clutch

clean the armature/brushes [new brushes?], then clean, re-pack the planetary gears

535 has a different sprag-type clutch than 700-1100 ...
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: hedgie6 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 am

Thanks. I’ll take a look at that this weekend.

hedgie6
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:10 am

Something else might be worth checking. Might wanna check the actual voltage "while" hitting the start button. And...then observe what the recovering voltage is. See if there's a big drop while the starter is turning. What is the voltage "after" trying to start the bike? Does it come back to say around 12.4v.. give or take? Anything round 12.2v or lower, and stays, is considered poor (IIRC..that's considered only 70% charged or so). And will get worse if ya have weak cells. No doubt a dirty starter is a "big" drag on voltage...but being low on amps (the working part of voltage), could be significantly effecting total current going to the engine. Specially if the battery's cells are week. Is that 13v fresh of a charger? What is the standing voltage? Say first thing in the morning? After a 24hr rest. Not to say, the starter clutch and/or starter motor won't help matters. If you do happen to tear into the starter clutch, pay close attention to the "mounting" of the mechanism. Since that thing is under alotta torquing, the mounting bolts could come loose. Especially if they were not properly "staked". Or...the staking has begun to loosen.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: hedgie6 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Turned out that it was the starter clutch. It was replaced and then I was back on the road, until the next problem.

hedgie6
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:48 pm

hedgie6 wrote:Turned out that it was the starter clutch.

Good to hear it was just that.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics