Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Stator --Regulator/Rectifier--Battery---HELP

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Stator --Regulator/Rectifier--Battery---HELP

PostAuthor: chainftw » Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm

ok I'm real bad at electrical so Please help !!!
1992 Virago 750, 8000 miles

Rode bike, then after it sitting 4 hrs went to start bike and it was dead , put it on a charger for 1 hr and made it 25 miles until it started spiting and popping and would not go over 10mph so I got off highway and blam dead . Battery dead .
Went to my house and got battery out of other bike and made it home 10 miles. checked battery that was originally dead and it’s shot. So before I go for a long ride and get stranded, this is the check I did with
Good Battery in it .

Battery test not running 12.95 DC
Battery running cold 12.20 DC
Battery running warm 12.90 DC
Battery running 2000rpm 13.45 DC
Battery running 4000rpm 12.51 DC ??
Battery after 5min 3000rpm ride and bike off 12.51

Stator continuity .5

Stator not running to neg on battery 0.L

Stator Running idle 24 on all 3 wires AC

Stator running 4000rpm 70 AC

Ok regulator/rectifier diode check
negative on meter to positive on RR and then positive on 3 wires >>.510
positive on meter to positive on RR and then negative on 3 wires >> .OL
1.888 oh boy
1.700 oh boy
so I think the R/R is bad.....?????

So i’m not sure if the stator is bad or the regulator/rectifier or it was just time for a new battery ????
Is there a simple test for R/R ??
R/R is screwed into back of foot peg as I’m sure you know and I don’t see a great ground since it’s a chrome bolt threw peg mount and R/R..
Could it just of bin the Battery ….but I’m worried about the little low 13.45(2000rpm) and real low 12.51(4000rpm)
Thanks in advance for your help !!!!
chainftw
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1993 Yamaha Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Stator --Regulator/Rectifier--Battery---HELP

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 am

sounds like you needed a new battery and the reg/rec is struggling to stay alive and losing

you said --
chainftw wrote: Rode bike, then after it sitting 4 hrs went to start bike and it was dead , put it on a charger for 1 hr and made it 25 miles until it started spiting and popping and would not go over 10mph so I got off highway and blam dead . Battery dead .
Went to my house and got battery out of other bike and made it home 10 miles. checked battery that was originally dead and it’s shot.

in a crisis that will get you home, but is very hard on the charging system [that may/probly already has issues] --- continued doing so will eventually kill a weakened / vulnerable stator, too.

a new reg/rec and 'fresh' grounds will prolly fix you up now.
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: chainftw » Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 am

thanks bud , kinda what I was thinking because of the numbers ...
mark75 wrote:sounds like you needed a new battery and the reg/rec is struggling to stay alive and losing

you said --
chainftw wrote: Rode bike, then after it sitting 4 hrs went to start bike and it was dead , put it on a charger for 1 hr and made it 25 miles until it started spiting and popping and would not go over 10mph so I got off highway and blam dead . Battery dead .
Went to my house and got battery out of other bike and made it home 10 miles. checked battery that was originally dead and it’s shot.

in a crisis that will get you home, but is very hard on the charging system [that may/probly already has issues] --- continued doing so will eventually kill a weakened / vulnerable stator, too.

a new reg/rec and 'fresh' grounds will prolly fix you up now.
chainftw
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

I use Chrome Battery, they have a glass matt that I have used for several years. One the 750, remove the spacer inside the battery box and order a battery for the 1100, It will fit and you get more cca's. I use Caltric for the R/R. They are available on Ebay......
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: chainftw » Thu May 17, 2018 6:22 pm

thanks man, I ordered the Caltric yesterday and we will see what happens ?!!
bstig60 wrote:I use Chrome Battery, they have a glass matt that I have used for several years. One the 750, remove the spacer inside the battery box and order a battery for the 1100, It will fit and you get more cca's. I use Caltric for the R/R. They are available on Ebay......
chainftw
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics