Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Rewinding the stator

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Rewinding the stator

PostAuthor: sbrbot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am

On YouTube one can find many clips about how to rewind (manually or by machine) Virago (or many other's) motorcycle stator. It seems that crucial point in rebuilding fried stator is insulation (tough conditions - high temperature and oil which affect insulation structure). Stator core should be cleaned and isolated with some kind of epoxy. Then 3 wires should be winded around stator poles in 6x3 star configuration. The wire is winded around stator pole in three layers (first layer 11 windings, second layer 9 winding and third layer 8 windings (closer to end of pole)). Now I'm thinking of rewinding it with bigger wire (of course, number of windings should be kept and 28 windings must fit to stator pole). Stator gives power of 240-280W (depending on rpms) which gives current of 7A per wire.

What wire to use? Does anybody have experience with manual stator rewinding?

Three stators on Amazon:

511MIGI-5BL.jpg

71GPS2MZ2VL._SL1001_.jpg

712WDET260L._SL1001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbrbot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv535
Sex: Male

Re: Rewinding the stator

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 am

i have no experiance with this, but would also like to know the answer.

as for insulation.... i have tried glyptal from amazaon in a little glass bottle. cured it in an oven under vacuum, turned out worthless. however, you may want to try the eastwood brand or something simular, might habe batter luck.
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (on a chopping block to become a bobber)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)

PostAuthor: nanno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:19 am

Go to the industrial area in your town and look around for electrical rewinding shops. They'll do that for you for not much money.
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at (My blog - Greasygreg.blogspot.co.at)
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar

PostAuthor: sbrbot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:40 am

nanno wrote:Go to the industrial area in your town and look around for electrical rewinding shops. They'll do that for you for not much money.

I'm not sure that I will find an "electrical rewinding shop". There are some guys dealing with motor rewindigs that could do that, of course, but it would cost more that new stator which one can find for 35€ online. So, I can buy new one or try to rewind it (for fun of course).

Yesterday one colleague of mine, electrical engineer too, and I were brainstorming about possibilit of rewinding the stator (both of us have Viragos for fun, other our colleagues drive BMW 1200GS and drive to official service for changing each bolt); the thema was would it be clever idea to rewind stator with bigger wire (keeping the same number of windings to get the same original induction). Bigger wires would have less resistance and would have lower temperature for the same current (that's just our theory, maybe oil around coils already have higher temp). Or maybe we should increase the number of windings on pole for one (from 28 to 29 or 30) since permanent magent rotating around stator loose some magnetic power/strength over time (to compensate induction). Our motorcycles are over 25 years old, their magnets are permanent but... (no offense to Mitsubishi engineers)
sbrbot
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv535

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics