Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1987 xv535 rat bagger wiring relocation into airbox

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1987 xv535 rat bagger wiring relocation into airbox

PostAuthor: Code-_-fury » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:50 pm

Hello, have an 87 xv 535 and i just stripped out the old dual carbs and replaced them for a single... which now leaves me a very wwwiiiiddde open airbox that is... unless. That is unless... I put all my excess wiring from my headlight and relocate my wiring for my relocated speedometer inside my air box... :bg: has anyone else done this and or does anyone have any suggestions how to go about it? Lastly, anyone have a wiring diagram so I can know which is what before I start?

Code-_-fury
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 Yamaha xv535 virago
Sex: Male

Re: 1987 xv535 rat bagger wiring relocation into airbox

PostAuthor: Bubba1982 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 am

Seen a few people do this when changing to a single carb, it's on my list to do this year hopefully too.

Code-_-fury wrote:Hello, have an 87 xv 535 and i just stripped out the old dual carbs and replaced them for a single... which now leaves me a very wwwiiiiddde open airbox that is... unless. That is unless... I put all my excess wiring from my headlight and relocate my wiring for my relocated speedometer inside my air box... :bg: has anyone else done this and or does anyone have any suggestions how to go about it? Lastly, anyone have a wiring diagram so I can know which is what before I start?

Bubba1982
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 xv535 Viragp

PostAuthor: XV535 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 am

If you are going to start chopping into your loom, get yourself a dressmakers stitch ripper. It will save a lot of problems breaking through the tape without doing damage to wires. It will rip the inner canvas wrap though, if you push it in deep rather than just slipping it under the edge of the wrap.

I don't know where all the canvas wraps are, on the XV535, but there is certainly a piece around 100mm long in the fat piece of the loom behind the horn wires, close to where you will be making your modifications. Whilst you have that part open check the Red/White wire splice which feeds to the coils. I had a break there once where it had gone green, and the wire had been eaten away at the edge of the splice.

I did not re route from the headlamp, so can't help thereand I can't post a wiring diagram, but I am sure I have seen one in a thread here within the last week, so look through any recent posts on wiring, flashers, relays or similar topics and you should find it.

Do use proper loom tape which is only semi sticky, and allows for some flex in the loom which the usual cheap insulating tape won't.

If the loom is too stiff it can cause both chafing around the fork area, and stress fracture anywhere where the loom is hard in one place and slightly softer in others, as it will be where a large bunch branches out from the main body of the loom. This is not just an idle comment. I was involved with manufacture of car and bike looms a few years ago.

I was going to ask why you want to change things, but of course, I know the answer....... Because I can.

XV535
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1990 XV535

PostAuthor: Code-_-fury » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 am

UPDATE! was about to wrap the entire wiring assembly from the right hand side of the bike directly over and into the airbox on the left hand side of the bike. The only re wiring I'm going to have to do is run new wires for my headlight and my blinkers! I will lower the resolution on my camera and try to take some photos later on and post them. It was a very easy thing to do and now I can use my after market headlight without all the mess.

Code-_-fury
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 Yamaha xv535 virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics