Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

No spark ⚡️

• Advertisement

Post a reply

No spark ⚡️

PostAuthor: gjason89 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi I have a virago 260 originally a Route 66 but has been converted to a Bobber the bike . If you refer to the photo of the cdi I posted as well numers 1-4 are all correct have good ground and good batery power the orange or gray traced it all the way up to my coils . We're I believe the problem might be is 5-8 on the other conector going to cdi box which would be from my pickup coils 5 and 6 are both canceled the side stand relay and clutch are both disconnected want them canceled out number six limiter tacho wire is not on the conector must have been removed from previous owner note I always have ran it like that . 7 and 8 both my pick up and pick up ground are there conected and trace down to side of engine into pickup coils . Note I have removed the left side switched that go onto my start button and the cutoff my start switch has always been a momentary switch installed on side of bike hidden it works my cuttoff was bypassed on the conector end both wires were conected together so I no longer have those on handle bar . If someone can point me in directions as to we're and what to check
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gjason89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Yamaha virago Route 66 1988 (Bobber)
Sex: Male

Re: No spark ⚡️

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:07 pm

The Virago uses a TCI, not a CDI, big difference between the two types of ignition systems.
If you are referring to the cylinders, the Orange wire goes to the Coil for the REAR cylinder which is number 1. Possible you have the #1 and #2 trigger wires for the coils reversed.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

bstig60 wrote: , the Orange wire goes to the Coil for the REAR cylinder which is number 1.

:yup:

xv250 coil wires.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: gjason89 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Well in eBay and lots of places I have read and been told using the word cdi but I have already tried crossing both orange wire and grey from on coil to other coil and have no spark what so ever on either one. On my original post I posted a picture of the "tci" and numbers 1-4 seem to be ok my question as to we're I believe the problem might be as shown in the picture is from the pulsed coils to the tci box numbers 7 and 8 ... 5 and 6are not conected note that the linter tacho was never connected there always ran with out it and as for 5 the side stand relay I have it has been removed left sis ones were you connect the relay . I want to test pulser coils I believe the problem is somewhere around there but as far as from the tci box to the coils both hot wire and grey and orange give me battery voltage with meter when turn on the bike but no spark ⚡️ and I believe it could be somewhere from the pulsed coils to the tci box seeking help and advice on how and what to check kind of lost already and have no ideas

gjason89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Chapter 7 pg 14 of the factory service manual -----> download/file.php?id=31286

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: gjason89 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:03 pm

So I looked up the original manual ignition spark troubleshooting section I checked my caps and found that one is broken not reading the other is in spec at 10.46 in between 8-12k ohms
I then checked my coils got on primary on both coils a good 4.6 in spec 3.4-4.6 ohms
Then checked seconday and got in the middle of the spec can't remember a 13.x in spec of 10.4-15.6 ohms
Then checked my pick up coils white/red white/green and got 244 in spec 178-266 ohms
We're can my problem be at any ideas as to what now to check ???

gjason89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 am

I deleted your duplicate post in XV250. You only need to post one topic per issue/problem. Multiple threads on the same topic will not get you faster or better answers, most likely just duplicate answers. If different solutions should be offered, it's better to have them on one thread.

If you don't get an answer in a reasonable time, reply to your own thread with "bump".

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: gjason89 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm

If you don't get an answer in a reasonable time, reply to your own thread with "bump".[/quote]
How wold I bump my original post seeking help I have ran out of ideas as to what not to check

gjason89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Jake wrote:
reply to your own thread with "bump".

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: gjason89 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm

"Bump"

gjason89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm

If your coil resistance Primary and Secondary check out within spec and your PU coils check within spec, then the only thing left is the TCI. As for reading + voltage on the Orange and Grey wires, that is what you should read. The TCI is a series of components which provide a GROUND Pulse at the proper timing to cause the coils to discharge. You cannot see it with a digital VOM. You can use an analog meter that is very sensitive, i.e. a Fluke or other high quality meter and you can see the pulse move the needle just slightly when you try to start the engine with the ignition ON. The only other, and most reliable way, is to use an oscilloscope. The only other way to test it is to install a know good replacement TCI. Pulse coils? I assume you are talking about the ignition coils......
BTW: please edit your profile to show your location. It makes it much easier for us to try and help you if we know where you are located.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: gjason89 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 am

bstig60 wrote:If your coil resistance Primary and Secondary check out within spec and your PU coils check within spec, then the only thing left is the TCI. As for reading + voltage on the Orange and Grey wires, that is what you should read. The TCI is a series of components which provide a GROUND Pulse at the proper timing to cause the coils to discharge. You cannot see it with a digital VOM. You can use an analog meter that is very sensitive, i.e. a Fluke or other high quality meter and you can see the pulse move the needle just slightly when you try to start the engine with the ignition ON. The only other, and most reliable way, is to use an oscilloscope. The only other way to test it is to install a know good replacement TCI. Pulse coils? I assume you are talking about the ignition coils......
BTW: please edit your profile to show your location. It makes it much easier for us to try and help you if we know where you are located.

thanks for all the help so my orange and gray wires to coils get its battery voltage from the other hot wire red that runs into them on the other post. The tci is a new one I ordered from China for 30 bucks since old one was cracked and had gotten water in it no god for sure. My ignition coils check in spec res. As well as my coils primary and secondary . Another thing is I if you refer to the photo of the tic I posted my conecttions 1-4 are correct gray and orange to coils red hot goes from battery power to tci and coils and ground is from battery . On the other end number 5 and 6 connectors on the tic (side stand relay/clutch. And limiter spedo are not conected as I have neither one. But 7 and 8 from ignition coils or as I'm told ther called pick ups. From side of engine are coneected properly and test in spec. Res..
1. Possible my "new" 30$ tci from eBay is not good.
2. And or do I need connectors 6/7 on . Spedo limited and side stand relay
What should I check before I buy anew tci considering it's never been used I just purchased it.

gjason89
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Electronics