Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

AIS system relocation

• Advertisement

Post a reply

AIS system relocation

PostAuthor: Tommy P. » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am

I have a bored mind and it has lead me to these projects, maybe. I would like to remove the bubbles for the air cleaner and AIS module and relocate the AIS to where the aux tank is on my 97 1100. Another project is removing the aux tank, fuel pump and just have gravity feed to the carbs. The issues I see are re-running the lines to make the AIS still work correctly, finding an air cleaner to fit where the old one was, and finding a tank with a petcock that will fit. I wouldn't mind a larger tank either. Any ideas, advice, or should I just live with the "bubbles" and let things alone?
I really want to do away with the fuel pump. The previous owner had replaced the fuel pump already, and at less than 8000 miles. The cheap replacement has wrong placement of gas ports, they point out to the side vs down. An oem pump is way pricey so I don't want to carry a $300.00+ spare pump.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Tommy P.
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 97 1100. Previously 81 750 and 82 750
Sex: Male

Re: AIS system relocation

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 am

Just eliminate the AIS/MCV. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=10710 You’ll likely have to log in again on that page.

For gravity feed, buy an ‘84 or up 700/750.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:25 pm

:yup:

you could "go gravity feed" by just using a Gen-II 700/750 fuel tank.

I didn't like the "bug-eyes" either so just deleted the AIS/MCV and plugged the connections (@ head and manifold), and used a 2-bbl carb air-cleaner
like this >>> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-4790
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Tommy P. » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:59 am

Thanks Jake and Mark. Does the bike still run OK with it removed?
Mark, is there a plug to put in the head that works well. I think the engine looks so much nicer/cleaner without that chrome line running around the cylinders. Removing the bugs make it look so much better. I dislike it when they continue a model by adding bandaids to it to keep up with emissions.
Thanks,
Tom

Tommy P.
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:25 am

Some claim it runs better, it will run fine regardless, you’ll have less backfires on deceleration without the AIS/ MCV.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:30 am

A half-inch copper water pipe end cap works well to plug the AIS port in the heads. Make sure you plug the AIS vacuum ports.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:51 pm

I simply used a convenient bolt [with 'Hi-temp copper' silicone gasket stuff] I had laying around.

I noticed no difference in how it ran.

the tube in the head is press fit, so potentially you could just extract it then plug-in with what-ever correct diameter object you desired.

the main thing is that it seal / prevent random air leak there.

all my XVs lost their bug-eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Tommy P. » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:15 am

Mark,
I really like the no bug eyes look of your bike and that small filter is great. Do you have a tutorial or info on installing it?
Jake and Mark, thanks so much for your helpful answers to not just my questions but so many other also. Jake, how is that Mustang saddle working for you?
Tom

Tommy P.
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Tommy P. wrote: Jake, how is that Mustang saddle working for you?
Tom

It works too good. My wife falls asleep on the Mustang, and that’s no joke !

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:40 pm

Tommy P. wrote:Mark,
... Do you have a tutorial or info on installing it?
Tom

sadly, no tutorial.
it was kind of one of those "11 o'clock at night inspirations" :ider: :con:

I simply used what I had on-hand at the time. :blush:
an elbow from the OEM air-filter, a 2bbl paper filter (K&N's were IMO crazy expensive then), black silicon sealer, and super glue.
all the dimensions just seemed to happen to match.

the 700 went to the frame-air-box. my 1100 a single carb.

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Tommy P. » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:35 am

Jake, I think a Mustang saddle is my next big purchase. Last year was my first summer with this bike and my first year riding in 25+ years. My butt really suffered after 1 and 1/2 hours or so and it didn't improve over the summer as my rides got a little longer.
Mark, I been there many times. LOL! JUst find what works and doesn't look too bad, can always up grade later. I was wondering if it was really involved or fairly simple and it sounds pretty easy. Heck, I put together my own designed rear sets for an RD 350 back in the 70's, and they worked so well, I left them on the bike until I sold it several years later, so I hope I can still make things up as I go. Again, thank you both for your help and advice.
Enjoy the ride and be safe,
Tom

Tommy P.
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:21 am

Tommy P. wrote:Jake, I think a Mustang saddle is my next big purchase. Last year was my first summer with this bike and my first year riding in 25+ years. My butt really suffered after 1 and 1/2 hours or so and it didn't improve over the summer as my rides got a little longer.

I find the OEM seat comfortable and it’s softer than the Mustang. The big difference for me is when I have a passenger. The forward slope of the passenger seat, meant she was always sliding forward therefore pressing me forward.

She was constantly wiggling around and trying to push back, all the while making the bike unstable. Riding downhill was really a chore. Once the Mustang was on, no problem, except for the sleepiness.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100