Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Wiring input on 1100 build please

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Wiring input on 1100 build please

PostAuthor: andonjones » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello everyone new member here and real excited to learn from you all, I am on my first street bike build here and need some input from you builders out there! [emoji16]

So I have a 84xv1100 Frame running a 96motor and I'm needed to get things wired up all I currently have is the starter sellinoid, as for my situation would you all recommend I just go with the oem harness and hook up the parts I need or get a simpler coil harness kit online? Any recommendations I'm pretty new to the electronical side of bikes if you where at my point in the build what would you go with?

Thank you so much in advance for reading and you input! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

andonjones
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 xv1100
Sex: Male

Re: Wiring input on 1100 build please

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:07 am

andonjones wrote: I'm pretty new to the electronical side of bikes if you where at my point in the build what would you go with?

While I'm not "totally" new to electrics, from totally "scratch" building of electrics systems...ya..I am. :bg: Main point of jump'n in here was to:
:VTF:

I dare not say which direction. Other than..me?....I usually say start with as much OEM as possible as this was how the bike was manufactured and meant to work in the first place. Then ya can always work backwards from there to get it to where/what works best for ya. Wasteful? Eh..could be looked at, either way. If ya got the skills..go the opposite direction. Either way..that's a toughy..to me. I'd have to sit and do a bunch of head-scratch'n on that one.

And...also point out...if truly an 84' frame..that would be for the 1000s (84'-85'). 86' to end of production would be for 1100(s). So would be the motors..as is yours. They're both the same (frame), anyhow. Just a point of reference. :cl:

A manual would be a must..Haynes, Clymers, Yamaha factory service... Early Clymers wiring diagrams were colored ((81-87). Later editions were black/white (81-03). Haynes are colored. Again....Welcome :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: andonjones » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 am

Quote:
And...also point out...if truly an 84' frame..that would be for the 1000s (84'-85'). 86' to end of production would be for 1100(s). So would be the motors..as is yours. They're both the same (frame), anyhow. Just a point of reference. :cl:
Quote:

It's kinda odd I got the bike w/ a blown motor and when I got into it, had a lot of reasons why the motor failed and, so I decided to go with a different engine and got a 1996 1100 motor as opposed to the 84 1000cc motor, b/c why not right lol?

Thanks I'll definitely be looking for those manuals and looking at oem harness!

andonjones
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:30 am

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

and don't forget you'll need the year/model appropriate igniter/TCI, too.

here's a thread with manual pdfs (should still be active) >>> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22910

and after you get it running you decide to go 'bare-bones' wiring >>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=43018
TRV (Dan) is 'the' wiring guru.

and if you're new to Yamaha # system, this may help explain some of it >>> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=28179

Bonne chance, and don't hesitate to ask any question. (the only "stupid" question is the one not asked. no-one is born knowing this stuff)
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun, __ :bike: or not :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:59 pm

I think the easiest would be to get a matching 1100 harness with the igniter (TCI) included, and if possible, all the relays as well. The 1000's and 1100's both use an electric fuel pump, so the harness from a 750 will not accommodate that; if you want to eliminate the electric fuel pump, you could use the tank and petcock off a 750 (2nd generation). As mentioned above, TRV's bare bones harness diagrams and notes are excellent if you want to go that route. Depending on what switches/relays, etc. you have, that may be the least expensive avenue to follow.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: andonjones » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:39 pm

Very cool thanks SO much fellas look forward to reading a lot snagging some parts and coming with some more questions!

andonjones
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: andonjones » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:22 pm

Quick question do xv700 coils work also for the 1100s?

andonjones
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:25 am

Yes

700--> 42X-82310-70-00

1100--> 42X-82310-70-00

Many times, a "bad" coil can be simply bad primary/secondary wires or connections, secondary to cap and/or (if original) just the cap, itself.

Wanted to throw this FYI out there for ya, incase your 700 coils are fubar'd. Hope you caught it. Two different numbers (left and right), for OEM. They're still the same coil, just diff cuz of the different secondary wires (length). Even so, easy to replace wires, andwho.
Case ya never been to this site..just click on "where used". It'll show all the models.
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 2310-70-00
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 2320-70-00
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: andonjones » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:09 pm

Flyingdog wrote:Yes

700--> 42X-82310-70-00

1100--> 42X-82310-70-00

Many times, a "bad" coil can be simply bad primary/secondary wires or connections, secondary to cap and/or (if original) just the cap, itself.

Wanted to throw this FYI out there for ya, incase your 700 coils are fubar'd. Hope you caught it. Two different numbers (left and right), for OEM. They're still the same coil, just diff cuz of the different secondary wires (length). Even so, easy to replace wires, andwho.
Case ya never been to this site..just click on "where used". It'll show all the models.
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 2310-70-00
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 2320-70-00
Perfect thank you so much!

andonjones
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement