VTF Google Search
 Click Here

universal relay to replace cut off relay wiring question

• Advertisement

Post a reply

universal relay to replace cut off relay wiring question

PostAuthor: sfoss » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:47 pm

HI there.
I have a 94 xv1100 that is missing a bunch of relays and connectors since the last owner was trying to bare bones the wiring and took out the entire wiring harness.
There is no cut off relay. How do I wire a universal relay to replace the stock cut off relay? Also I am a bit confused that I read the flasher relay contains the cutoff relay. Is this true?

sfoss
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 xv1100
Sex: Male

Re: universal relay to replace cut off relay wiring question

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 am

sfoss wrote: Also I am a bit confused that I read the flasher relay contains the cutoff relay. Is this true?

Yep, that unit controls quite abit..I don't even start to pretend to know much bout these circuits and would have to trace wiring diagram to see what is all inline. Fuel pump relay.. (I think), flasher, starter, sidestand neutral switch, are but afew. The original (41R-71/9-pin )...Cut-off relay is one part of "flasher" 41R-71 (second part is flasher "circuit"). This unit is used as a relay for engaging the big relay of starter motor. Primarily for the sidestand, such as when up and (gear in neutral position or clutch lever is pulled) only then this relay will be activated and starter motor will be able to start the engine. Probly doesn't do much to "un-confuse" the situation...have would have "NO" idea what's in a "universal" unit.
VTFs electrical wiz (TRV-Dan) hasn't shown for quite awhile, but if one could tap into some of his postings..you may get more/clearer answers.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: sfoss » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 pm

awesome, thanks!

sfoss
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 xv1100

PostAuthor: nanno » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 am

I did the same on a Gen1, but I have no 1100 wiring diagram at hand, if you could share one of those with me, I could put my lockdown-curfew time to some good use.

Cheers,
Greg
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43227 - Nanno's accumulated findings (and blatant show-off) - infos on my TR1's, my performance and reliability mods and a bit of show-casing of the stainless steel exhausts I build

*Look to my profile for a link to my blog*
nanno
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 Yamaha TR1
1982 Yamaha TR1 Turbo
1977 XS 750 Sidecar
1984 XT500 4Valve (Austrian Tax saving edition)
1979 RD250/R5/DS7-hodgepodge (in bits)

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:17 pm

nanno wrote:I did the same on a Gen1, but I have no 1100 wiring diagram at hand, if you could share one of those with me, I could put my lockdown-curfew time to some good use.

Cheers,
Greg

here's a thread for 'bare' 1100 >>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=43018

sadly I can't find the post I had on 1100 schematic :ops:

but here's a good one by Dan for "general" harness rebuild >>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=29436
that has helped me a lot.

there should be a schemo in your service manual. if you haven't one at-hand, here's a thread with links for '85-'99 manual >>> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22910
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100