Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Carb Help (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Carb Help (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: stephenricci » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:30 pm

It's time for a good carb cleaning again and I was looking for some help regarding the choke plungers. The last time I cleaned them, I had to replace one of the choke plungers because the plastic nut was broke. I was able to give that area a good cleaning before I put the new plunger in. I did not remove the other plunger because the aluminum 90 degree vent tube is in the way (picture attached) and it blocked removal of the plunger. I am sure that this tube can be removed but I was wondering if there was any trick to removing it. None of the service manuals that I have access too even mentions this tube interference. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ride Safe,
Steve
I have two favorite bikes; the one I'm riding today and the one I can't
stephenricci
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1988 Yamaha XV1100 Gold Edition
1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate
1983 Honda Goldwing Standard (Naked)
1980 Goldwing Interstate (New Project)
1966 Honda CB77 Super Hawk (Another Project)
2014 Kawasaki KLR650
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2013 Yamaha Grizzly 350 ATV
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV
Sex: Male

Re: Carb Help

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:43 pm

IIRC they are 'press-fit' into carb body, and can be removed with twisting action, but double check with bstig, flyingdog, or others JIC (my memory plays tricks with me sometimes nowadays)

FWIW section ---

if you need a rear wheel w/ sprocket for your CB-77, I have one available.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: stephenricci » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm

Mark, thanks for the fast reply! I kind of figured that they are press fit in but I didn't know for sure. The thing that I am concerned about is that it was probably done in 1988 and hasn't been removed since. I worry about the aluminum to aluminum corrosion that happens over time. I was thinking about a good overnight soaking with some penetrating fluid then applying some heat before I try to remove it. I just don't want to bust it off which is usually my luck:-) I am open to all options and tools used (hopefully a tool that I don't have so I can buy a new tool) to get this thing out without damage. I also thank you very much for the offer on the SuperHawk wheel and sprocket. The one on the bike is in good shape; it just need a good polishing because the PO decided that he liked the blacked out look and went a little overboard. I got all the paint off and now I just need to polish everything up.
Ride Safe,
Steve
stephenricci
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

2014 Kawasaki KLR650
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:44 am

stephenricci wrote:I am open to all options and tools used (hopefully a tool that I don't have so I can buy a new tool).

Hmm..that's odd, as I've never had a problem removing the plunger, as it's skinny and tips as it's removed.

Personally? If it's in the way, I'd just cut it back enough to clear the plunger. Even if you'd remove the entire 90° portion..no biggie...there no strain when re-connecting the tubing and you only need few mm(s) to hold it in place (as in there's no pressures)...and...could use a barbed 90° to direct the tube back where you need it.

Yes..some flame applied to carb body boss, combined with strap wrench and/or small pipe wrench with break it free. Only drawback, strap wrenches semi tough to manipulate in a decent position before they tighten up and are usually rubber... (less ya make your own) and pipe wrenches will gouge (not terribly) that soft aluminum. But, either one won't crush like vise grips/pliers/whatever.

stephenricci wrote: the PO decided that he liked the blacked out look and went a little overboard.

What's new..eh? :;: Gotta luv-em. If it weren't for PO..things would go lot smoother. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: stephenricci » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks flying dog for the recommendation. I think that I will try the heat and then hit the pipe with some canned air sprayed upside down to freeze the pipe. I have a good assortment of wooded dowels so I was thinking about using one inside the pipe to get some leverage and try to wiggle it out. If it even looks like I might be damaging the carb body, I will use your recommendation and just cut it off but leave enough room to fit the hose and new elbow. Thanks again!
Ride Safe,
Steve
stephenricci
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

2014 Kawasaki KLR650
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV

PostAuthor: stephenricci » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Problem solved. I soaked the elbow from the front and back of the carb body with penetrating oil overnight. I used a long steel bar that was a really good fit to the inside of the elbow. I worked it up and down until it was loose enough to pull out by hand. No heat was needed. Thanks for all the help!
Ride Safe,
Steve
stephenricci
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

2014 Kawasaki KLR650
1986 Yamaha YZ490
2007 Artic Cat 500 ATV

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:57 pm

:GJ:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago