Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

ride of later models vs 81/82 models

• Advertisement

Post a reply

ride of later models vs 81/82 models

PostAuthor: Tommy P. » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:37 pm

I have a question for any who have ridden one of the early models and one of the newer models. I had two early viragoes. an 81 and later an 82, both monoshock. I recently got a 97 1100 and I am surprised at how harsh it rides in comparison. Bumps on my two earlier ones seemed a lot smoother that this later one. I see where the monoshock top bolts onto the frame ahead of the seat on earlier ones, while the shocks now bolt directly toward the lower back. I wonder how much this affects the ride. I am about to give up on this one as I have adjusted the shocks several times and it stills rides harsh to me even on lowest spring preset and any of the rebound settings. I am afraid I will have to search for a new bike and don't want to do that.
Thanks,
Tom

Tommy P.
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: looking now for my 3RD. one. Previously 81 750 and 82 750
Sex: Male

Re: ride of later models vs 81/82 models

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:36 pm

if they are OE then it could be the shocks themselves are toast, and you're running on the springs action alone.

not to mention the geometry differences, and air assist on some models...
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: faffi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:27 pm

A stock, new Generation 2 will generally be more comfortable and a better handler than an equivalent Generation 1. So something is likely off with your shocks, be that they are aftermarket set up for two grownups with gear, worn out damping, bent damper rods or some other malfunction. Or your swingarm bearings are shot, causing massive amounts of friction (not very likely).
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: soccerfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:32 pm

I rode an '82 750 for 10 years, then divested that and purchased a '93 1100, that i've owned for 8 years.

My primary issue with the 750 was the width of the seat, and the lack of creature comforts
for multi-day rides. The seat on the '93 is far superior. But that is not what you''re asking.

I can't say that I recall a significant difference in the way the two rode, but I sure would think
that two shocks would be superior to the monoshock setup (I always thought was a little weird).

When I first acquired the 1100 I tried adjusting the shocks and then riding for a bit, and I remember
thinking that I could not discern enough difference between settings to even entertain adjusting
those again. Maybe my butt is just not that refined ?

If you think the 1100 is more harsh, I'll vote with the other voices and suggest that there is an issue.
Start simple.

soccerfan
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1993 Virago 1100

PostAuthor: Tommy P. » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am

Thanks for the answers guys. I think maybe I have heavy duty springs installed. I will have to remove and test them and go from there. I ride alone so softer springs with three preload steps up should be good for me and what small amount of gear I would pack for a day ride.
Tom

Tommy P.
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: looking now for my 3RD. one. Previously 81 750 and 82 750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:48 am

Tommy P. wrote: I recently got a 97 1100 and I am surprised at how harsh it rides in comparison. Bumps on my two earlier ones seemed a lot smoother that this later one.

First thing that came to me, was: Springs (heavy duty or standard) "do not" handle small/sudden impacts very well. Springs are not to control comfort (so to speak), they are for ride height. Like Mark mentioned...it's the piston action that contribute to how well the shock controls wheel movement. Which translates to ride comfort. Why Yamaha put on those various adjustments (damp'n & preload). And yes, if the shock is not broke, these adjustments "do work". I find the mono shock waay better for control (wollering, wobble'n, shaft effect thru cornering/spirited riding) Personally, I'd also be little leery bout screw'n with the OEM springs on OEM (twin shocks). Specially, since they are not heavy duty springs. The shocks, as a whole, are just adequate..at best and do an OK job for the daily/touring rider. Now, if the cylinder is off somehow, then, nothing can be done...specially spring-wise. You can play hell when it comes to match'n comfort/springs/OEM shocks. Really, no such critter. Oh it can be done, if you got the time/money/grind'n tools/lotta springs ly'n around. One misnomer bout shocks, the softer the setting, the squishier the ride: Not true. Surprisingly, Virago shocks do have a relatively decent "spring sag" numbers, if they're in decent shape to begin with, before moving on to further adjustments. If not.... I'd say go aftermarket. But be prepared to "pay". The better the ride, the more it cost, unfortunately.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:38 am

My first Virago was an '83 xv920 that I bought in the early 2000s for $300 bucks. It had been sitting under a tarp outside in the Sierra foothills for 3 years. I rode it for several years. Since then I have owned a number of first and second-generation Viragos. There is not a dime's worth of difference in the ride, but I found the 2nd gen bikes to handle much better.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement