VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Straight pipe and air filter Jetting

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Straight pipe and air filter Jetting

PostAuthor: HaugeJr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi

Wondering if anyone in here have straight pipes and aftermarket air filter and what jetting you guys use?
Such a hassle to get the carburetor in and out everytime I need to change a jet. Maybe i can hit the sweetspot straight away.

Got a 1997, 1100.It is around 70 degrees all summer and i live by sea level. The exhaust is pretty short. Cut off right before the end of the back tire.

Anyone who can help ?

HaugeJr
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: Virago XV 1100 1997
Sex: Male

Re: Straight pipe and air filter Jetting

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm

HaugeJr wrote:Hi

Wondering if anyone in here have straight pipes and aftermarket air filter and what jetting you guys use?
Such a hassle to get the carburetor in and out everytime I need to change a jet. Maybe i can hit the sweetspot straight away.

Got a 1997, 1100.It is around 70 degrees all summer and i live by sea level. The exhaust is pretty short. Cut off right before the end of the back tire.

Anyone who can help ?

I haven't jetted for "straights" so no plug-n-play suggestions.
just a guess --- around 135/140 ish?? your stock is ~122 to 125?

Jardine Rumblers with paper-type A/F; I raised the needles with 2-each (#4 washers - IIRC)

What do your spark plugs look like currently?

I agree, carbs in/out is a hassle, but after the 15th time, it gets 'easier'. :naughty:
old 10mm spanner with head bent ~35-40 degrees as a "specialty tool" will help some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm

I deleted your duplicate post in “ Choppers Customs Café”. You only need to post one topic per issue/problem. Multiple threads on the same topic will not get you faster or better answers, most likely just duplicate answers. If different solutions should be offered, it's better to have them on one thread.

If you don't get an answer in a reasonable time, reply to your own thread with "bump".

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:23 am

JMO: At this point I wouldn't even worry bout change'n jetting (mains that is). Your "not' changing altitudes, yer just changing A/F flow rate/speed. "Possibly" may have leaned out the A/F mix, atad. I said: "Possibly", cuz this isn't always the case. Many factors are involved...state of tune in the first place, how you ride, are they truly "straight pipes" or have mufflers after the straight pipe off the heads, baffled or not, diameter of pipes, type of ambient air for your region (70° doesn't really mean much, your 70° is probly totally different than Texas or Colorado's 70°).... etc etc etc. My thought would be to stick with Marks suggestion and concentrate on the needles, at this point. Least with your Mikunis, it's just a matter of moving the C-clip down down the notches, to where ever is needed. This is where you'll be doing 90% of your riding, anyway. Less, yer a total hotdog and live WOT all the time. But, even doing just the needles..going to take some (maybe alot) of experimenting to find that sweet spot. Changing those 4 manifold bolts to allen/socket head bolts will simplify carb work (removal) greatly. Sometimes, you don't have to remove the carbs to get to the slides. Just alittle twishing action and the right tool will get ya past the bike's backbone. Wanna go a step further? Grind out the cooling fins under the inner most float bowl bolts. Then all you have to do is replace "those" 8 bolts with allen/socket head bolts. No need to remove the carbs, then. A 45° or 90° off-set bit driver is all that's needed to remove the bowls and get to the jets/floats. But..this is all really speculative, anyway. Almost impossible to tell someone how to set their carbs just in a different state...let alone on the opposite side the world.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100