Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1995 1100 Carburetors

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1995 1100 Carburetors

PostAuthor: TotalPackHack » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I am currently in the process of cleaning my carburetors on a newly purchased Virago for the first time (1995 XV1100). I have the carbs off and am going though the "poke & soak" phase. I have all the jets clear enough to drain and have used a narrow gauge wire to open jet. To start, what type of carbs are on this bike for part purchasing information, Mikuni, but what model? My pilot jet on one carb is locked in and the flathead is stripped, any ideas how to remove it? If it drains cleaner while threaded, do I need to replace it? Should I buy new jets just for the sake of it since I have the carbs out? Do the main and pilot jets need to be set at any certain points? I am a first time Virago owner and this is my first time working on a motorcycle. I am mechanically inclined, but in need of direction. Any and all 1995 Yamaha Virago XV1100 carburetor information, tips & tricks would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1995 Yamaha Virago XV1100
Glenwood Springs, Colorado

TotalPackHack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 Yamaha Virago XV1100
Sex: Male

Re: 1995 1100 Carburetors

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 am

TotalPackHack wrote: part purchasing information, Mikuni, but what model?

BST40

TotalPackHack wrote: My pilot jet on one carb is locked in and the flathead is stripped, any ideas how to remove it?

Liquid wrench (or something), heat, tapping and vise grips. Or if ya gots the meat, cut in another slot for phillips driver. Or even cut the existing slot deeper if possible.

TotalPackHack wrote: If it drains cleaner while threaded, do I need to replace it?

Could possibly be left alone..Me?..I replace it, but that's me. But there..replacing with what size? OEM? Possibly..but would depend on where you end up setting the pilot screw. JMO, anything over..say maybe 4+ turns out, might have to go "up" in size. That's really something no one can call but in a general sense, remotely . There's a baseline of 2 1/2 turns out (pilot screw) from a soft seat to begin with, but you also would have to make sure the whole pilot screw stack (specially the little 0-ring) is in good shape.

TotalPackHack wrote: Should I buy new jets just for the sake of it since I have the carbs out? Do the main and pilot jets need to be set at any certain points?

Not exactly sure what you mean by: "set at certain points". Probly just brain farts here.
That would be a judgement call on your part. Theoretically, you could fill and drill what ya got, but you're only talk'n in the #122-125 size area, not really worth it. How the bike was running in the first place and more importantly...What did the plugs look like? Seemings how your close to 6000' asl..probly wouldn't hurt to have a few different jet sizes on hand. My brother is up by Eagle..definitely needed re-jetting. Be he's got harley and Honda, different animal. Pay close attention to your air jets..squeaky clean..you'll need all the air you can muster. :bg: Your needles (CV piston) are (clip) adjustable and depending where the clip is now, maybe in the middle groove(?), you should be covered to be able to lean out or richen your mid-range. Whichever way is needed. They ya got your various other jets (power jet), AIS/MCV (if still in place), deceleration valve, to content with. It's going to take some experimenting/tinkering/piddle'n with em considering where you're at. A Clymers, Haynes, actual shop manual or the d/l manual on this site (after 5 posts) will help the learning curve on these things.

Oh yea... :VTF: :bg: :usa:
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:51 am

Please edit your profile to show your location. :VTF:
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: TotalPackHack » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 pm

bstig60 wrote:Please edit your profile to show your location. :VTF:

Like these carbs, I am having difficulty navigating this forum to figure out how to add my location...

TotalPackHack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: TotalPackHack » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Flyingdog wrote:

BST40

TotalPackHack wrote: My pilot jet on one carb is locked in and the flathead is stripped, any ideas how to remove it?

Liquid wrench (or something), heat, tapping and vise grips. Or if ya gots the meat, cut in another slot for phillips driver. Or even cut the existing slot deeper if possible.

TotalPackHack wrote: If it drains cleaner while threaded, do I need to replace it?

Could possibly be left alone..Me?..I replace it, but that's me. But there..replacing with what size? OEM? Possibly..but would depend on where you end up setting the pilot screw. JMO, anything over..say maybe 4+ turns out, might have to go "up" in size. That's really something no one can call but in a general sense, remotely . There's a baseline of 2 1/2 turns out (pilot screw) from a soft seat to begin with, but you also would have to make sure the whole pilot screw stack (specially the little 0-ring) is in good shape.

TotalPackHack wrote: Should I buy new jets just for the sake of it since I have the carbs out? Do the main and pilot jets need to be set at any certain points?

Not exactly sure what you mean by: "set at certain points". Probly just brain farts here.
That would be a judgement call on your part. Theoretically, you could fill and drill what ya got, but you're only talk'n in the #122-125 size area, not really worth it. How the bike was running in the first place and more importantly...What did the plugs look like? Seemings how your close to 6000' asl..probly wouldn't hurt to have a few different jet sizes on hand. My brother is up by Eagle..definitely needed re-jetting. Be he's got harley and Honda, different animal. Pay close attention to your air jets..squeaky clean..you'll need all the air you can muster. :bg: Your needles (CV piston) are (clip) adjustable and depending where the clip is now, maybe in the middle groove(?), you should be covered to be able to lean out or richen your mid-range. Whichever way is needed. They ya got your various other jets (power jet), AIS/MCV (if still in place), deceleration valve, to content with. It's going to take some experimenting/tinkering/piddle'n with em considering where you're at. A Clymers, Haynes, actual shop manual or the d/l manual on this site (after 5 posts) will help the learning curve on these things.

Flyingdog,
First and foremost, I appreciate your lengthy in depth post... I am currently on "bike bandit" and am planning on ordering new jets. I have not yet tackled getting that stuck pilot jet out. But will be sure to try all those methods you listed, solid advice. When I said "set at certain points" I was pertaining to the "2 1/2 turns out (pilot screw) from a soft seat to begin with" since I have come across that quote many times. Take into consideration, I am a carburetor novice. So what you're saying is that I thread the pilot screw in until lightly snug, then back it off 2.5 turns? Also, tonight I was working on the floats. I saw someone mention they needed to sit at 22-25mm at a certain position. I was able to achieve that with one the other was a struggle. After taking the needle out to inspect I noticed the "tab" that moves in and out was locked down. So I am ordering new needles, just not sure exactly what to order. Needle valve set or just the needle, everything else is in good condition.

About the bike: I bought it a week ago not running, sitting for years. First thing I did was new plugs, fresh oil and removed the nasty fuel tanks and lines. Second thing was drain the float bowls, which I noticed was not the terrible gas of the tanks. I also noticed one float bowl didnt have near as much gas. (Which I now know may be due to that stuck needle). I have it hard lined with a funnel for fuel with a fresh fuel filter. The bike would crank and I eventually got it to turn over, I could only get an idle with choke on (which led me to gummed carbs). I ran some sea foam through the bike with gas and was able to rev the engine and hold throttle. A good sign. Next step was carburetors which has led me to here. Thanks again Flyingdog for the info!

TotalPackHack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:00 am

TotalPackHack wrote:
Flyingdog wrote:

BST40

Flyingdog,
First and foremost, I appreciate your lengthy in depth post... I am currently on "bike bandit" and am planning on ordering new jets. I have not yet tackled getting that stuck pilot jet out. But will be sure to try all those methods you listed, solid advice. When I said "set at certain points" I was pertaining to the "2 1/2 turns out (pilot screw) from a soft seat to begin with" since I have come across that quote many times. Take into consideration, I am a carburetor novice. So what you're saying is that I thread the pilot screw in until lightly snug, then back it off 2.5 turns? Also, tonight I was working on the floats. I saw someone mention they needed to sit at 22-25mm at a certain position. I was able to achieve that with one the other was a struggle. After taking the needle out to inspect I noticed the "tab" that moves in and out was locked down. So I am ordering new needles, just not sure exactly what to order. Needle valve set or just the needle, everything else is in good condition.

About the bike: I bought it a week ago not running, sitting for years. First thing I did was new plugs, fresh oil and removed the nasty fuel tanks and lines. Second thing was drain the float bowls, which I noticed was not the terrible gas of the tanks. I also noticed one float bowl didnt have near as much gas. (Which I now know may be due to that stuck needle). I have it hard lined with a funnel for fuel with a fresh fuel filter. The bike would crank and I eventually got it to turn over, I could only get an idle with choke on (which led me to gummed carbs). I ran some sea foam through the bike with gas and was able to rev the engine and hold throttle. A good sign. Next step was carburetors which has led me to here. Thanks again Flyingdog for the info!

Here is the needle vavle kit from K&L Supply. https://www.ebay.com/p/K%2DL%2DSupply%2 ... 4654&rt=nc
My advice, however, would be to order the complete rebuild kit from K&L which includes stock jets, pilot screws and O ring for the pilot screws. You will need two kits. They are not cheap, but are well worth the money considering the bike has sat for a long time. https://www.ebay.com/p/K%2DL%2DSupply%2 ... 9530&rt=nc
If you have any cracks in the carb holders, replace them now while you have the carbs off. Also, run a very small guitar string thru the pilot screw passage from the pilot jet to the venturi port in front of the butterfly just below the pilot screw. Do this with the pilot screw removed. This port must be clear in order for the bike to start without choke and idle. When you remove the floats to replace the needle valve set, shake them to make sure there is no liquid inside and place them in a bowl of liquid to make sure the float.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: TotalPackHack » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:08 pm

bstig,
Great info, I appreciate it. What do you mean by "carb holders," the bracket that mounts directly to the cylinder intakes? (I am unsure if my terminology is correct as well haha.) If so, there are no visible cracks in the steel, but the seals around the edge of the steel mount are in poor shape. Are those removable/replaceable? I ordered the K&L needle valve kits last night. I probably will still order the full kit you recommended. I may too wait on the needles, throw them in, bolt carbs back on and see where I stand. Just due to my altitude and unsure which jets to get. The bike was bought right here in town so I am under the impression they had the correct jets for living here in the mountains. Is there a chart which shows jetting for altitude? Or is it swap until it runs right?

TotalPackHack
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:58 am

Having fun yet? :cl: :usa:

TotalPackHack wrote: What do you mean by "carb holders," the bracket that mounts directly to the cylinder intakes?

The rubber part. The medal cage is more of a stiffener/support for these. Least in my view. Carb holder/intake manifold/manifold/joint..pretty much all the same meaning. Extremely important. You're carbs can be brand new, but if these get little open holes/cracks (or the 0-ring seal at the manifold/cylinder mating surface), carbs just don't work. And yes..these are replaceable. Just slips outta the medal part. Spraying carb cleaner around this area while bike is running will change the rpms and you'll know. The mistake some make is by just "looking" at them. May "look" ok, but if you give them a good squeeze, those little cracks really open up. They can be quite decieving..sometimes, even spraying carb cleaner around them won't show anything, but, a manifold leak will show up when the bike is running at higher rpms, where the pressures will open up these cracks up. You can get Chinese knock-offs (they're ok) or OEM (like K&L read: expensive) just about anywhere. If you do replace, make sure they are the same design compared to your originals. So you'd have the same vacuum nipples on each on. Some are just slightly different, but usually not if ya go by your year/model. Meaning: your rear (#1 carb) will have 2 of these nipples and the front has 1. You'll also notice in the link: They actually call the rubber part "joint" and the medal the "manifold holder". Sooo..pick your medicine. https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 907/intake

TotalPackHack wrote:. Is there a chart which shows jetting for altitude? Or is it swap until it runs right?

Unfortunately..no chart. The only sure way is having hand full of plugs (new) and doing a proper "plug chop", to identify which direction to go. That's after your bike is holding idle and can hold WOT without fall'n on it's face. :bg: And..hopefully you'd end up in the middle from one extreme (lean) to the next. (rich). Which really isn't too bad, if your bike was running decent with the OEM jets. In your case, would be: #1 @ #122.5 / #2 @ #125 Not quite your engine, but just to show the levels, my 1000 at 5000', ended up with #1 @ #115 and #2 @ #124. With a change in needles too. But probly not necessary (needle-wise) for you, as I'm picky. :bg: Which you also have an advantage cuz your needles are adjustable. Where I had to rely on needle sizes and/or shims, cuz of my Hitachi(s) vs. your Mikuni(s). And...I'm still using round vacuum pistons, where you got flat sides. Difference how that A/F charge is delivered to the cylinder. But I digress, as that's gett'n in the weeds.
Here's a good source for jets---> https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_stree ... 8-1999.htm Coarse lotta other places carry them too.

Couple Visuals:

Mikuni Carb.PNG

Optimum throttle'n: But don't get tooo hung up trying to hit these marks. As your needle (JMO) comes on waay sooner.

Fuel delievery to throttle position - Copy.PNG

Oh yea..one other slight thing, when one says (pilot) from a "soft seat", that's just slightly a misnomer cuz, when you're turning "in" the pilot, you'll actually feel "TWO" friction points as the pilot starts to bottom out. The first will be the resistance of the 0-ring, then turning just ever so slightly more "in" you start to feel the pilot hitting bottom. That's where you'll want to stop turning. You'll get the feel the more you mess around with them. And...just as an aside: the pilot controls fuel flow. Just like the choke, which actually "adds" fuel (not choking off air) to the system when pull'n choke lever to on. Just the opposite of what lotta people think.
Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:50 am

Here are the carb holders. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-88-99-XV11 ... 1687002211
Yes, they are replaceable! Do yourself a favor and replace them now. On a 25-year-old bike, they may not be leaking now, but soon they will be causing a vacuum leak.
I lived for many years at 3000 feet and rode many times at 8000+ feet with the stock jets. The engine will richen up at altitude and may start popping back on decel, but it is nothing to worry about. Keep in mind that if you are riding at lower altitudes, the engine will run lean if you put in smaller jets.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 am

Nope..wouldn't ever consider jetting for 3000'. Just wouldn't be worth trying to gain back any power loss or getting back that piddl'n amount of extra gas used. Less you're some track jockey, trying to eek out every bit of horsepower ya can squeeze outta an engine.

TPH: Making any headway?

Nosey.PNG

Need to borrow my tool? Got both metric & SAE sizes. For left/right hand, too.

Fix-All.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Since I have no idea where this dude is or what his elevation is, it is always best to start with the stock jets and then go from there.
I have asked 3 times for him to edit his profile to show his location and it seems to get ignored. There is no way anyone can tell him about jetting until you know his elevation. Even with that, it is a guessing game. Definitely, trial and error.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 pm

TotalPackHack wrote:1995 Yamaha Virago XV1100

6000'
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Flyingdog wrote:
TotalPackHack wrote:1995 Yamaha Virago XV1100

6000'

Thank you. Here is a source for jets. https://www.jpcycles.com/1995-yamaha-vi ... nd-needles
Here is another source. https://www.jetsrus.com/
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement