Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Top end and gasket questions

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: Top end and gasket questions

PostAuthor: beardedmoose » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Ha, yeah I would have thought they have some magic japanese tools but in the manual those mixture screws are off limits and set from the factory. I've never worked on a carburetor before and so far I am learning these things are quite picky to get running, They had sat for 2.5 years and were all sorts of gunked up.

So much to learn and I am glad for the forums here and the knowledge of everyone around. I've learned a lot so far just from other posts, more than I could have ever on my own at least in such a short time.
beardedmoose
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 98 XV1100 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:19 am

This was one of my most cherished tools in the arsenal..so much so I lost it. The size of the head/bit holder was great. :bg:
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0229

But watch out..any time to see the word "MotionPro", expect some big bucks.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:13 pm

That'll be going on my Santa Claus list. (Drool)!
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: beardedmoose » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:01 pm

IT'S ALIVEEEEEEEEEE. I got her running without choke, starts up and purrs. Couple of pops n snorts under throttle so I still need to do a true carb sync and dial in the air/fuel mixture.

A couple things I did wrong and fixed.

• Not sure if it mattered but the plastic pieces of the fuel needle inside the slide diaphragm were put back together in the wrong order due to a youtube video error, I checked the manual and did it the correct way.
  • I forced the mixture needle and stripped the screw AND messed up the threads inside the carb body, thankfully it started fine and was messed up near the bottom so I re-tapped the threads with an M6 x .5 tap and some WD-40 and the new screw threaded just fine. (Don't be a dumb gorilla and force things in soft metals)
  • I also put the mixture needles in incorrectly by dropping the o-ring inside, then the spacer, spring, and screw. I learned you are supposed to put all those pieces together, then put them inside the hole.
  • I purchased a proper caliper and bench adjusted the floats, we shall see how well they run after I get some highway miles on her an open it up and make sure it's not too lean
  • Lastly, I bench synched the carbs using a ziptie under the butterfly valve and adjusted the screw until I felt similar tension on both. Now to connect some vacuum gauges and do a proper sync

Thank you to everyone and their advice so far. I won't mark this as done just yet as I still need to see if the upper gaskets are okay and if it still leaks oil from the exhaust.
beardedmoose
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 am

:GJ:
Sounds like you're getting a handle on this thing. That's good to hear. Not quite a skerrry as one thinks..is it?

beardedmoose wrote:Not sure if it mattered but the plastic pieces of the fuel needle inside the slide diaphragm were put back together in the wrong order due to a youtube video error, I checked the manual and did it the correct way.

Absolutely it would matter on the jet needle. Depending on how exactly all the parts (clip,collar, washer) was assembled would effect richness vs leanness. Getting that smooth transition throughout the throttle positions (off idle - WOT) is whatcha trying to achieve. Specially since (besides idle) 85% or more of a persons' riding is done thru the needle circuit. Even at highway speeds, you're truly not WOT. Except maybe passing and/or hotdog'n it with another rider.
Yep..always the great balancing act between the internet vs manual. One or the other can/will usually be wrong. :bg: Why cafeful documentation of what's/where when break'n carbs down will give ya, at least a base-line to refer to, when the ole head scratch'n :;: kicks in. Hopefully, getting this thing up and running may just soften the valve seal enough (if that's the case) to stop the oil from leak'n pass them. Keeping those valve clearances, within specs, is very important too.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: beardedmoose » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:38 am

Yeah I did Washer, clip, collar instead of clip, collar, washer as the manual shows. I can't remember where but someone said that was a misprint, but after some triple checking I find that Clymer, Haynes, and the service manual all show the same thing.

Hopefully, getting this thing up and running may just soften the valve seal enough (if that's the case) to stop the oil from leak'n pass them.

Yeah she is still smoking a little bit but I assume it will have some leftover oil to burn in the pipe so a highway ride and some throttle after dialing the carbs in should help. I did not see any new oil dripping on the floor which is good so far. When I bought it it dripped quite a bit onto the floor while idling for about 5-10 minutes.

Keeping those valve clearances, within specs, is very important too.

I will be checking those next and make sure they are okay as I was seeing low compression, about 120psi on both cylinders hot and cold.
beardedmoose
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: beardedmoose » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Okay so I got her out yesterday in our sunny 36 degree weather for a small highway run. I have a lack of power in the lower RPMs, upper RPMS seem fine, also I noticed I have an exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the exhaust so I will need to check the clamp there.

Could the exhaust leak cause the low rpm torque issues and backfires?

Front cylinder was running hot and rear cylinder was running rich so I adjusted the carbs accordingly. Also, if you are messing with the air fuel mixtures do you need to re-sync the carbs at all?
beardedmoose
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Previous

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100