VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Right crankcase view

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Right crankcase view

PostAuthor: douglasartor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi guys,

Today I disassembled my right crankcase cover and I found this chain there. Can anyone tell me what is it doing there? Was it supposed to be there?

Thanks

1994 Virago XV 1100
2014 Dyna FXDC
douglasartor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 xv1100 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Right crankcase view

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:55 am

Chain? Inside the Case? Geesas..Has the bike ever been running since you had it? I assume so, since you joined in 2014. How did it act just prior to you removing the side cover? Cuz the only chain I'm aware of is the cam chain on the right side. And..you'd definitely would know if it were broke or not. Never paid any attention to, but not sure if the "oil pump chain" (left side) let loose, if it can/would show up on the right side. I don't see how. You are talk'n bout the clutch side, correct?
Picture didn't show up on this end. Not sure if it is my machine or not.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 am

Flyingdog wrote:Picture didn't show up on this end. Not sure if it is my machine or not.

Either make the photo public accessible or upload it to your post ( preferred method ). You may see it, but what we see is

doug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:30 pm

If memory serves, that is a small chain on that side that is hidden behind the flywheel. It runs the oil pump..... Get a good pic uploaded by using the upload attachment link at the bottom of this page, and we can better understand what you found.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... 0e8e56d70b
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: douglasartor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 pm

I tried Google photos. I'll try bstig60 method. Tell me if you can see it.

My bike was running OK until last weekend, when I tried to start the bike and heared some grinding and continuous sound. I charged the battery and the sound remained when pushed the starter. I thought it was the starter clutch/ bendix drive, but I removed the left crankcase cover and the starter clutch looked like OK. Then I removed the right crankcase cover and discovered that chain.

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1994 Virago XV 1100
2014 Dyna FXDC
douglasartor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes, that looks like the chain off the oil pump. You will have to pull the flywheel to get it back in place.. This chain always runs a bit loose, but you have have broken a gear for it to come off. However, it is difficult to be sure from the pic, so pull the cam cover off that side and make sure the timing chain is still in place... If its the oil pump chain, it is short and the links are about the size of a bicycle chain. Pull it out if you can and post another pic.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:23 pm

That's the cam chain. Oil chain has much way smaller side plates and links. You can even see the broken inner link. That's the pits, no doubt. :ops:
Last edited by Flyingdog on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: tukes23 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 pm

That Is not the oil pump chain. That is your front cylinders timing chain. It looks like either your timing chain broke or the timing gear on the cam has come off or broken. Whatever you do, you can not run it.
Adam Tulin
OCD Concepts
ocdconcepts6@gmail.com
Champaign, IL
tukes23
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 82 xv920 virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Yep..looks to have snapped two places and just dropped. Besides, my first impression was there's no way a broke oil pump drive chain could have made that jump.."up-atop-of" the oil filter housing and lay, stacked in such a neat pile. Would carefully examine all those gears when and/if you tear into it. Hopefully it just snapped and dropped without any binding/twisting. The way it's just laying there peacefully, you may have dodged a BIG bullet. But, I'm afraid..something..chewed those to the point of snapping. Like it got overly loose, jumped a cog and chomp. Let's hope for the best. :;:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: douglasartor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Yeah, it's the cam chain... Today I had some free time and removed the front cylinder head cover. Then I saw the broken link of the chain hanging there.
I am still confused about how could this happen...
Anyone can tell me how deep I need to go in disassembling the engine to put a new chain back in place? Do I need to remove the cylinder head or I can install a new chain without removing the engine from the bike?

Thanks.
1994 Virago XV 1100
2014 Dyna FXDC
douglasartor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 am

A big plus for you..complete removal, probly not. Since it's the front cylinder. But you'll still have to undo all the engine mounts, wiring, throttle cable..what ever...so you cat at least "rotate/pivot" the engine down from backbone. To be able to remove head and cylinder, for starts. One good reason for not having a full engine cradle mount. It's all in the manual and is pretty straight forward. Meaning: not as skerry as it sounds. Patience and an orderly fashion/pace/patience/observation is the key. Words are optional.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: douglasartor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm

By "rotate/pivot the engine down from backbone" you mean that I could just remove the front engine mounts and let the engine hanging just by the rear mounts? I'm afraid that this rotation could damage the Cardan joint (universal joint).
1994 Virago XV 1100
2014 Dyna FXDC
douglasartor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:14 am

Unfortunately, you will be "almost" to the point of "total" engine removal. Meaning the rear cylinder mounts will also be removed. Usually just the two chrome bolts to the frame bracket. Not the bracket to the head. Coarse, loosening 'all' mountings will make it much easier to wiggle back into place. And, depending how much clearance (dropping) you actually will need to get to the front head/cylinder, will also have to pull back the drive shaft boot and disconnect the coupling (U-joint) to get your engine to pivot. You need to get comfortable with the manual. IIRC..don't think Haynes was too good with pictures. Don't even know if the newer Clymer's is any better. Factory shop manual probly the best. Don't know..never seen one. Hopefully, some of these bobber/engine people (Nanno) could pop in, who could shed more light to this.
Wow..that's a lousy picture, but you should get the idea what you end up with. Don't recall on the 1100, but not much different than the 1000.
http://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2017/10/ ... inder.html <--just to put ya to his site..you'll find some interesting stuff pok'n around.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 am

If that is the came chain it possible that you may have had several things happen. The cam on that cylinder could have seized up due to lack of lubrication causing the chain to break. As a result, you have have bent valves or even a hole in that piston. The easy way is to drop the engine out of the frame and put it on a bench so you can work on it easily.....
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Sodtoast » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Crazy

Sodtoast
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 xv750 virago bobber

PostAuthor: douglasartor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi, finally my cam chain arrived from Japan. With the factory service manual it was easy to install it.
I am still wondering why the chain was broken. The baffle is in the rear cilinder, but the manual says that it should be in front cilinder. Could this have anything to do with the broken chain?
The cam chain sproket screw is really hard to remove when it is with the baffle. Does anyone have any tip to remove it?
Thanks
1994 Virago XV 1100
2014 Dyna FXDC
douglasartor
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 pm

douglasartor wrote:With the factory service manual it was easy to install it.

So I take it you did not have to remove the engine, just pivot the engine down to get to the front cylinder? That's good.

douglasartor wrote: The baffle is in the rear cilinder, but the manual says that it should be in front cilinder. Could this have anything to do with the broken chain?

I highly doubt that lead to chain break'n. But won't swear to that one. To tell ya the truth, I always thought the baffle was just to keep oil from fling'n out the cam cover vent. You 'could' see how this baffle 'could' direct the oil back on the cam sprocket/chain, but then you'd think 'both' cylinder/cam/sprockets would have it. But according to the fiche it does look backwards. Been awhile, but almost positive the baffle is on the front cylinder on my 1000. (so is my vent) I'll look sometime. Ya got me thinking. I know the 750's vent is on the rear, but I don't remember seeing a baffle on either cylinder. And that's just for the layout of the plumbing. Beside it only has to plumb to the airbox. One of those things never paid attention to.
Why it snapped? You guess as good as mind. Maybe got overly worn enough to slack and bounce in-be-tween the gear's teeth and twisted just at the right point. Even with the cam chain tensioner removed, don't know if it the would be enough slack to jump a tooth. Sure make a racket, though.
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... haft-chain
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... inder-head

Removing the cam sprocket bolt?..I assume you gotta put a socket on the crank bolt, too. Some have been known to put the bike in gear and step on the brake. Seems like ya gotta be a pretty limber monkey to do that one. Long cheater outta help, too :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100