Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Stock Exhaust Setup (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Stock Exhaust Setup (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I know I am getting old, but didn't think I was losing my memory quite yet.... Embarrassed a bit too!
I am trying to put the stock exhaust system back on my 1100 and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the rear cylinder tail pipe back in. Can't remember if the bike has to be on the center stand or the side stand. I can get the pipe in from the left side with the center stand down, but can't turn it enough to get it into place.... I have done this at lease 50 times on various bikes and a dozen times on this one, but I can't seem to get my act together on this, can someone be of assistance.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sex: Male

Re: Stock Exhaust Setup

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Center stand has to come off. Right side of the bike is only way I know off. Who know..never attempted that from the left side. :;: Up to you, but I'd be take'n the rear wheel off just for the room. To me, just makes things easier to "see" what's going on. Did the side stand/wheel on thing "ONCE". Never did it that way again. You do know bout the washers in the spring trick? Makes putt'n the stand back on a snap.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:47 pm

I was lucky I guess.
only did that once [never again unless absolutely have to]

had no particular protocol, on center-stand I just wiggled and jiggled it until it finally came out.

Bonne chance.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:07 pm

mark75 wrote:only did that once [never again unless absolutely have to]

:lmao: Words to live by.

Oh..it can be done on the center stand, but I usually remove anything/everything close to difficult crap.
Hell..if it weren't for the swing arm..piece of cake. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 pm

I've removed many rear headers while the bike is on the centerstand, no reason why you shouldn't be able to install one the same way.
1989 XV1100 "The Empress" & 1995 XV1100 "Maroon & Gold"

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks for all the reply's, guys. I know it can be done with the center stand on, I have done it before. Problem is I can't remember how I did it.... I will make another attempt this morning after my appointment, and then pull the centerstand off. That's a PIA as I recall..
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am

bstig60 wrote:and then pull the centerstand off. That's a PIA as I recall..

Not if you do the washer and/or penny trick on the stand's spring. Once ya got yer bike block up where you want it, extend the stand to where the spring is at it farthest stretch, insert pennies, washers etc., in as many springs coils as it takes...retract the stand...the spring will damn near fall off.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Polkahero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:22 am

bstig60 wrote:Thanks for all the reply's, guys. I know it can be done with the center stand on, I have done it before. Problem is I can't remember how I did it.... I will make another attempt this morning after my appointment, and then pull the centerstand off. That's a PIA as I recall..

Really easy to remove the centerstand. Just remove the two bolts securing it to the frame and then slide out the stand to the left, everything will come out easily including the spring. Reinstalling is trickier, you'll need a hook tool to stretch the spring.
1989 XV1100 "The Empress" & 1995 XV1100 "Maroon & Gold"

Image Image
Polkahero
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1989 XV1100 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Finally took off the centerstand and let the bike set on the side stand and got the header pipe in from the left side and turned it to where it should be and installed the exhaust.. Used the washer method to get the spring on and off. Worked very well..
I will have a set of Jardine Slash cuts for sale soon... I will post the for sale items later.
Thanks for all the advice, guys....
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100