VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Gas pouring out of my air cleaner

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Gas pouring out of my air cleaner

PostAuthor: Toaview » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Hello,

I let my 1100 sit for @ 2 months this summer; when I left it it was running fine. I came back last week, turned the ignition to on, heard the pump clicking away, and suddenly, before hitting the start button, smelled and then saw gas pouring out of the bottom of the air cleaner housing. I pulled the housing off and tried to trace the hose back from which the gas was coming. Can't quite see its origin, but it has a 90 degree bend to the right, with a metal sleeve at the bend. I tried clearing the hose but found no obstruction, I even blew on the hose, and heard bubbling in the tank. I tapped gently on each float bowl, no go. Any idea what's going on?

Toaview
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Re: Gas pouring out of my air cleaner

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 pm

The gas is coming out of the vent for the top of the carb(s). One or both of your float seats is not closing, or an o ring on the float seat has failed. The pump will continue happily pumping gas because the float bowl is not filling and causing back pressure for the sensor to pick up and tell the pump to shut off. (At least that's what I'm dealing with on my 1100 right now, and in my case, it's a failed o ring on the rear carb float seat.)
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:43 am

When you blow on the fuel line and hear bubbling in the tank that is a sure sign of a float valve stuck open. Try using a screw driver handle and firmly tap on both carb bowls and see if that corrects the problem..
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Toaview » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks to both of you for the replies. So, I've tapped on both float bowls, still not happening. Next question: how much vigor should I use in tapping? I don't want to jamb the float any more than it apparently is already. And if the tapping doesn't work, what's my next step? Do the carbs need to come out to repair this? Also, would it help to remove the tank and attempt to work some carb cleaner into the carbs?

Toaview
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Here's something you can try. On the bottom of the float bowl, there's a drain nipple, the screw to open it is on the outboard side of the bowl near the bottom. Either stick a hose onto the drain nipple, or have a container under it to catch the gas when you open the screw that opens the drain. do that on both carbs. Leave the screw/drain open (remove the drain hose if you've used one) and take a can of Seafoam Deep Creap, using the tube that comes with it - it's an aerosol can- and push the tube up as far as you can into the nipple, hold it in place and spray as much as you can into the float bowl chamber. Remove the tube and quickly close the drain screw. Do that to both carbs and let them sit for a while - overnight would be nice. Then turn the key on and see what happens with the pump - it should shut off after a few seconds, but with the bowls being relatively empty, you may have to turn the key off and on a few times to fill the bowls. If the pump shuts off, the float needles should be seated and you may have cured the problem.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Toaview » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Got it. I'll give it a try and get back asap. Thanks.

Toaview
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Toaview » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Ok, finally got some Sea Foam Creep (Amazon), sprayed it in both float bowls, let it sit for two days, and today turned on the ignition, heard the pump clicking away with NO gas pouring out of the breather hose! So, I turned it over, the engine caught, ran sluggishly for a few seconds, and stopped. Turned it off, turned it on, heard the pump clicking away, and gas came streaming out of the breather hose. I'm going to go ahead and repeat the treatment with the Sea Foam, hoping that some good was done and more will be better. But I'd appreciate any other suggestions/ideas that might come to anyone's mind...

Toaview
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 pm

It's really starting to sound like you're going to have to pull the carbs and go through them to clean them thoroughly. Lots of good info on here on how to go about doing that.

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 am

Toaview wrote:Ok, finally got some Sea Foam Creep (Amazon), sprayed it in both float bowls, let it sit for two days, and today turned on the ignition, heard the pump clicking away with NO gas pouring out of the breather hose! So, I turned it over, the engine caught, ran sluggishly for a few seconds, and stopped. Turned it off, turned it on, heard the pump clicking away, and gas came streaming out of the breather hose. I'm going to go ahead and repeat the treatment with the Sea Foam, hoping that some good was done and more will be better. But I'd appreciate any other suggestions/ideas that might come to anyone's mind...

It's time to pull the carbs... I have a procedure to pull them the easy way if you want it.... You may be able to find it using the google search here, but if not, let me know and I will send it to you. K&L Supply has the kits or you can find them on EBay..
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Toaview » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 pm

"It's time to pull the carbs... I have a procedure to pull them the easy way if you want it.... You may be able to find it using the google search here, but if not, let me know and I will send it to you. K&L Supply has the kits or you can find them on EBay.."

Sigh. Yeah, you guys are right, I suppose, and yes, if you could send me that info I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Toaview
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 am

Here's the procedure for you. Print it and keep it available...
Carb Removal Procedure.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill

bstig60
Mod
Mod

2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: Toaview » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks; I"ve been schooling myself with some YouTube videos as well. We'll see how it goes...

Toaview
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Here's a couple pictures of the combination wrench I bent for the purpose. No, it's not a Craftsman (I wouldn't do that to one of my good Craftsman's), it's a cheap one I bought at our Canadian Tire store. I took the pictures alongside a standard 10mm Craftsman for comparison. I also ground down the outside of the ring of the box end and the jaws of the open end to provide better access and turning range. After all, you won't be applying a lot of torque here. Also, if any those four bolt heads are even slightly rounded off, change them to eliminate future aggravation.

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100