Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Syncing the carbs

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Syncing the carbs

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 am

Using a manometer or vacuum gauge (as opposed to doing it by ear), the tank needs to come off, and the advice is to rig up an alternative fuel supply. On previous bikes I've used a fuel tank from a lawnmower. I hear it is also possible if you are quick and things go OK to get the job done without an alternative supply, just using the fuel that is in the float bowls, but I've never tried this, preferring to give myself as much time as I need.

Enough background, here comes the question:-

On an 1100, can the reserve tank be used as the fuel source, will the fuel system operate without the main tank connected?

And if that does work, how cool would it be to go out for a short ride and pull up next to someone at the lights on a bike with no fuel tank?
Tough on chrome, tough on the causes of chrome :;:
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv 1100 4PP Japan home market model
Sex: Male

Re: Syncing the carbs

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:19 am

The fuel tank does NOT have to come off on bikes with Mikuni carbs as it is relatively easy to get at the sync screw on Mikuni's. If you have a good ear, you can get the carbs where they will be close by ear, but to do it right you need an manometer.. It is more difficult to get at the sync screw on Hitachi carbs, but it can be done without removing the fuel tank.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am

bstig60 wrote:The fuel tank does NOT have to come off on bikes with Mikuni carbs as it is relatively easy to get at the sync screw on Mikuni's. If you have a good ear, you can get the carbs where they will be close by ear, but to do it right you need an manometer.. It is more difficult to get at the sync screw on Hitachi carbs, but it can be done without removing the fuel tank.

I was thinking more about the manometer connections - doesn't the tank have to come off for access?
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 am

No, the tank doesn't have to come off; you will need to remove both pod covers (breather and AIS covers) to make access to the vacuum ports and sync screw easier.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: jonno51 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Cusstout 1100 wrote:No, the tank doesn't have to come off; you will need to remove both pod covers (breather and AIS covers) to make access to the vacuum ports and sync screw easier.

Thanks for that.
jonno51
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:12 pm

I've been able to slide the tank back to clear the rubber mounts and tilt the front, if that's all the room I need at the time.. Putting a block of wood or something, up it the tunnel, to hold it. That fuel and vent hose, kinda pita to refit...sometimes. :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100