Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1996-smoke and moisture from exhaust-gas smell

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1996-smoke and moisture from exhaust-gas smell

PostAuthor: Panhandle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 am

First ride this year 2018 last weekend. After 20 minutes riding lower power, smell of gas, lower idle. Stopped for lunch. After lunch took three times to start, rough idle, power loss, smell of gas, lower idle. Made it home. Smoke is white.
This weekend changed plugs. Old Front was oily, rear was just black, looked normal. Started up fine but lots of white smoke and moisture from tailpipe. Tried rapping both carb bowls for stuck float. No effect on exhaust smoke and moisture. Moisture smelled like gas.

Panhandle
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv1100 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: 1996-smoke and moisture from exhaust-gas smell

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 pm

sounds like your girl got atherosclerosis during her winter nap. The varnish in fuel acts like arterial plaque...

the "Seafoam Trick" might help[?], but she may need the carbs cleaned.

try a fresh tank of fuel JIC :con: ... [pure gas if possible] also check for vac leak / hard cracked vac line
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Panhandle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am

Funny thing, since I live in Florida I ride this bike and my other (Triumph Speedmaster) about every other weekend. That day of the ride she started OK and ran OK for about 20 minutes at 60 + mph then the problem occurred. I only use non-ethanol gas and add small amount of sea foam to my gas cans and bike tank after fill up. I will start up again this weekend and also check for vacuum line crack/leak. Thanks.

Panhandle
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: 1996-smoke and moisture from exhaust-gas smell(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Panhandle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Problem solved: Took to Hall's in Crestview FL. They changed the oil. They told me there was too much oil in crankcase. Causing smoking and poor performance. After oil change no probelm at all. Rides like new bike. thanks mark75

Panhandle
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 pm

May have gotten fuel in the crankcase do to a sticking needle valve. Make sure you check your oil level before your next ride.... If the level has increased you have a problem with fuel getting in the oil.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100