Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Back at it...

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Back at it...

PostAuthor: hooligan998 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 am

After a somewhat lengthy hiatus of working on the Virago, I'm back at it. Some parts are on order, and while I wait for those to arrive, I'm attending to some of the smaller and finer details. Clutch is adjusted and working now, next will be valve adjustments. Then on to sorting out electrical, and then carbs and final assembly. New tires will be in order as well. I keep coming up with minor things missing or damaged, but so far no major issues. I'm giving myself a generous deadline of being on the road by year's end at this point.

And I love my newly acquired lift. So does my back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Virago 1100 - the reason I joined up here!

hooligan998
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 Yamaha Virago 1100, 2003Yamaha FZ1, 1973 Honda CL350
Sex: Male

Re: Back at it...

PostAuthor: hooligan998 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 am

So a quick history on the bike. I acquired the bike from a friend who got it from a friend for work he did. It sat in his shed until he got tired of seeing it. Since he's a harley guy, he had no real plans for the bike, so he offered it to me. I bought it for the price of the hardcover Haynes manual that he bought for it. The frame was from a wrecked 98 VX1100 and the motor was from the 98 VX1100 that was bought to replace the wrecked frame. The front cylinder camshaft was seized in the bearing so I did the roller bearing mod to both heads. From there it's just been small things done to it until now.

hooligan998
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 am

Do yourself a favor. Take a good look at HF wheel chock. Round $60-70. Got mine for $49 w/coupon. You won't regret it. Nice being able to just ride your bike into it and locks the front tire into place..and..being able to get off without having to balance the thing while you tie it down to the lift. Sure, it's a Condor knock-off ($250), but for the home wrench...can't beat it. Sorry, pic is kinda dark, but you get the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flyingdog on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: hooligan998 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 am

That's nice, I like it. Much better than that clamp up front. I'm gonna put in a request to the CFO. :bg:

hooligan998
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 am

Maybe one approach you could use with yer requisite..does she ride? Well, could mention the hazards of your present setup. I'm sure she ( or you) don't wanna be riding around on a dinged-up bike, cuz it fell over on the lift. Not to mention broken stuff. Just a thought. :;:
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 am

Flyingdog wrote:Maybe one approach you could use with yer requisite..does she ride? Well, could mention the hazards of your present setup. I'm sure she ( or you) don't wanna be riding around on a dinged-up bike, cuz it fell over on the lift. Not to mention broken stuff. Just a thought. :;:

In some cases, the requests for funds to increase the safety aspect of one's hobby could backfire, resulting in future funds being denied due to the perceived danger, and the sale of said hobby demanded.

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 am

Ah come on...if he has an inkling of any negative thought when fulfilling such a delicate venture...it will definitely come out thru the eyes as...."Give it up..that is total B.S.". Eyes are the windows to the sole. Takes great talent and dedication to pull off such an endeavor successfully.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:56 pm

or you might DIY something like this ---> https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/E ... 07505.html

it doesn't take much to hold it steady while you tie it down.

FWIW dept. eh, I think you mean window of the soul [?] --- just remember "eyes may be the window to the soul, but hands are the window to intent"... John @ A.S.P. :naughty:
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Oh Geesus..yep..blew that spelling. Damn keyboards & I don't play well together. I looked bunches of wheel chocks. Reason I like this locking one is I can unbolt it and move it bout anywhere. Use it in a trailer or just freestanding in the garage, if needed.
Flyingdog
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV1100